SiouxSports.com Forum

HAKSTOL 9 MONTHS and change LEFT ON CONTRACT!

the"source"

The highest paid coaches in college hockey haven't come close to accomplishing what Hak has done in his first three years, so I'm confident that he'll get a contract that will keep him happy and still fit within the Athletic Departments budgets.

I'm as big of a Hak fan as anyone. He's the best coach and recruiter in college hockey, but the only way UND will lose him is if he gets a good NHL opportunity. If that happens, it's not going to matter what UND is paying him, because he'd most likely make the jump to the NHL. There isn't a better job in college hockey than the one he's at right now so moving to a higher level/better program isn't in the cards.

I say.....relax, it [better contract] will get done.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...FOR GOD SAKES MR BUNING, DO THE HONORABLE THING AND MOVE ON! Let someone who would get it done and would show Mr Hakstol the respect he has earned from this university and deserves from this university!

Not so fast. We don't even know who the President will be a year from now. Who will be the interim AD? Ralston? :whistling: Who will lead the search? Harmeson? :p

I am sure the only reason he would leave is for an NHL related job, but again it isnt about that its about showing the man respect! The lack of an NHL offer is no reason to treat him like this. He has earned and thus desreves better than this. He alone among his peers without a legitimate contract extension, what would any of us think if we were in his shoes or were one of his peers?

Thats what its about. Give him what he has earned!

Sorry you dont agree with the word top. I guess I use it in the sense of there are none better,maybe equal but not better. By the way, who would you rather have?

being the TOP is a fair debatable topic as he hasnt won a ncaa title, thats for another thread, to some he is to and top some he isnt, thats beside the point for sure, the point is, hes a damn good coach, can rcruit like no other and he NEEDS TO BE SIGNED ASAP, quit f$%#@ around and get him signed on a very long contract, find a common ground on the money and lock him up!!!

If I were recruiting against Hak, I'd find a way to lob this subject into the conversation with the kid's parents, I'll tell you that.

umm, im sure they all do some sort of that stuff anyways, looks like its worked pretty good the way our crappy 08,09 and 10 classes are looking :whistling:

Sorry you dont agree with the word top. I guess I use it in the sense of there are none better,maybe equal but not better. By the way, who would you rather have?

I would agree he's a top coach, but certainly not "the" top coach. Hak has great credentials, but there's no way he can even be remotely considered as the top coach in college hockey without winning at least a league title, let alone a national championship. In fact, one could argue that his accomplishments should be shared with the tradition and facilities at UND for recruiting. Hak may not even be one of the top three coaches in the WCHA for God's sake!

That being said I still think they should extend his contract.

I would agree he's a top coach, but certainly not "the" top coach. Hak has great credentials, but there's no way he can even be remotely considered as the top coach in college hockey without winning at least a league title, let alone a national championship. In fact, one could argue that his accomplishments should be shared with the tradition and facilities at UND for recruiting. Hak may not even be one of the top three coaches in the WCHA for God's sake!

That being said I still think they should extend his contract.

ya think :whistling:

C'mon, what'd it take to extend Appert at RPI? A fresh coat of paint in his office at Houston Fieldhouse, all the complimentary left-over after game popcorn he could eat, and one of those "50 cents off a new car at Rydell Chevy" coupons they drop from the blimps to the student at REA to be used the next time the Engineers come west? :whistling:

If that's what RPI gave him, they overbid. :D:p

As some have made mention of, extending Hak will take some dollars of consequence right now. Making that fit into a transitional DI budget is no easy task. Folks concerned about this shouldn't be harping here, they should be filing out the pledge forms or checks. And you'd think someone at Alumni would be working hard to keep Hakstol and their grandkids, er, uh, (oops, I mean,) and Hak's family, in Grand Forks, wouldn't ya? Remember, Blais' last extention was an amalgamation of various gifts and enticements to stay. You'd think Alumni led that in some manner. Why not that approach again?

Eaves is at about $200,000/year base, plus a deferred annuity making it about a quarter mil a year. What does Johnson make in Lincoln? What's Lucia making? What's Gwozdecky making? The data's out there, it's not that complicated of a negotiation. Get it done, Mr. Buning!

C'mon, what'd it take to extend Appert at RPI? A fresh coat of paint in his office at Houston Fieldhouse, all the complimentary left-over after game popcorn he could eat, and one of those "50 cents off a new car at Rydell Chevy" coupons they drop from the blimps to the student at REA to be used the next time the Engineers come west? :whistling:

If that's what RPI gave him, they overbid. :D:p

As some have made mention of, extending Hak will take some dollars of consequence right now. Making that fit into a transitional DI budget is no easy task. Folks concerned about this shouldn't be harping here, they should be filing out the pledge forms or checks. And you'd think someone at Alumni would be working hard to keep Hakstol and their grandkids, er, uh, (oops, I mean,) and Hak's family, in Grand Forks, wouldn't ya? Remember, Blais' last extention was an amalgamation of various gifts and enticements to stay. You'd think Alumni led that in some manner. Why not that approach again?

Oh, I get it now. UND is moving to D1 so they can't really afford to pay Hakstol right now. Don't you think that during the original planning on going to D1 that there may have been some discussion of the compensation it would take to pay D1 level coaches throughout the athletic department along with how much it would cost to pay a coach for one of the top hockey programs in the country. My guess is yes so the fact that it is going to cost to sign Hakstol shouldn't take a back-seat to going D1. I would think it would have previously been discussed.

But let's not respect the coach and show him that we are behind him as an athletic department. Let's let him dangle in the wind...let him sweat a bit. Heck, you only took us to three frozen fours in a row but you didn't win. Maybe if you would have won at least one we might have signed you by now. It's your own fault Hakstol that your contract isn't signed. Oh wait, it's also the transition to D1 for the reason you contract isn't signed. No, no, no....it's the Alumni's fault for not chipping in. Whatever.

I love how you always seem to come up with some kind of excuse for Buning. Keep your excuses coming though.

Again, Lucia got a contract extension two (or three years) before his first one expired now taking him through something like the 2011 season (or somewhere thereabouts). And that was with the bumbling Maturi at the helm of the athletic department at a time when he couldn't seem to do anything right. But Lucia won a title and Hakstol hasn't. That must be the reason. Or is it the transition to D1 and the cost contraints there? I forget. Sicatoka, please help me come up with another excuse why Hakstol isn't signed yet.

As has been mentioned before, it's about showing some respect to a coach who has done what no other coach at UND has done in his first three years on the job. If you want the coach to respect you and to have no hard feelings towards you or the department, you have to first show him some respect. So Hak is only going to leave for the NHL? How can we be certain that is the only way he'll leave? If this drags on too long, would he not feel disrespected and as a result, would he not consider other options besides the NHL? He's not going to settle for UND if he feels disrespected and doesn't like the way things are run. In talking with Hakstol, he is a very intelligent and upstanding person and doesn't beat around the bush and I'm sure he feels he should be treated the same way that he treats others. Hakstol won't settle for UND because it's the only thing out there. He may very well feel that it might not be worth it.

sicakota, or whatever you call yourself, NICE COMMENT with the "Alumni would be working hard to keep Hakstol and their grandkids, er, uh, (oops, I mean,) and Hak's family, in Grand Forks" line!

YOU HAVE NOW VERIFIED AGAIN WHAT THE "SOURCE" ONCE SAID, "BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! sICATOKA = NO INFO WORTH POSTING!

and what I once said "This one is real and serious, and it may in fact cost UND a great coach, so maybe you should sit this one out"! Seriously sit it out. You proved your worth, OR SHOULD I SAY LACK OF, when you told us how you held off letting us all know that the basedball coach was stepping down. I do have one question regarding that situation and your not disclosing it right away, did you get any sleep those days you held it inside or were you tossing and turning. I can only imagine the weight on your shoulders trying to decide what to do and then keeping it inside for several days! HOw did you do it? That situation and your comment above prove your worth in regards to a situation like this. I dont know you or what you could help with but its not here.

Seriously sit it out! I have come to the conclusion that either you are Mr Buning or you should be extremely careful if he were to stop quickly.