Guess who's looking at IA Football: Jacksonville St

star2city

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas State students approve increased athletics fee for FBS football

SAN MARCOS - Students at Texas State University-San Marcos have voted to increase the fees they pay to support Bobcat athletics in an effort to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS -- formerly Division I-A).

In a referendum held Feb. 12 and 13, Texas State students voted 4,738 (79.6 percent) to 1,214 (20.4 percent) to authorize the university to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years.

Obviously the Sun Belt has to be their short term target.

But does the SB add TSU and go to 14 members or do they add TSU and kick 2 schools out?

I don't think any of the current schools would mind seeing Denver go. I bet even Denver wants to leave.

On a side note, I have no idea what's keeping Denver in DI. Men's hockey is their sport. After that, pretty much nothing.

Why not go DIII and play up in men's and women's hockey?

Obviously the Sun Belt has to be their short term target.

But does the SB add TSU and go to 14 members or do they add TSU and kick 2 schools out?

I don't think any of the current schools would mind seeing Denver go. I bet even Denver wants to leave.

On a side note, I have no idea what's keeping Denver in DI. Men's hockey is their sport. After that, pretty much nothing.

Why not go DIII and play up in men's and women's hockey?

Why not go to a Denver message board and ask them? ???

http://www.ncaasports.com/skiing/champions...team_final/2007

NCAA SKIING CHAMPIONSHIPS

03/08/2007

TEAM SCORES

1. DARTMOUTH COLLEGE DAR 698.0

2. UNIVERSITY OF DENVER DU 648.0

3. UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO CU 592.0

4. UNiVERSITY OF UTAH UU 536.0

5. UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT UVM 400.5

6. UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO UNM 390.0

6. MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE MID 390.0

8. NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIV NMU 380.0

9. MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY MSU 310.0

10. UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA UNR 288.5

11. UNIV OF NEW HAMPSHIRE UNH 255.0

12. UNIV OF ALASKA-ANCHORAGE UAA 243.0

13. BATES COLLEGE BAT 231.0

14. UNIV OF ALASKA-FAIRBANKS UAF 217.0

15. WILLIAMS COLLEGE WIL 152.0

16. COLBY COLLEGE CBC 134.0

17. MICHIGAN TECH UNIVERSITY MTU 128.0

18. WESTERN STATE COLLEGE WSC 78.0

19. WHITMAN COLLEGE WHT 35.0

20. ST LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY SLU 32.0

21. ST OLAF COLLEGE STO 25.0

22. UNIV OF WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY UWGB 8.0

Note several DIII schools on this list.

Wasn't that loophole closed many years back? I thought the only DIII schools allowed to play up in a sport and award scholarships in it were those that were grandfathered in from before the rule change. I believe the current rule is that a DIII may play up, but they can't award any scholarships. Am I wrong? (A DII playing up is a different story.)

The problem with Denver athletics beyond hockey and skiing is their conference affiliation. To me it seems like the Sun Belt Conference with teams like AR Little Rock, LA Lafayette, New Orleans, North Texas, Arkansas St., and LA Monroe among others does not fit in what Denver would ideally be looking for.

Well, looking through the DIII manual, I haven't found anything to support my idea; I'm beginning to think I'm confusing this with the I-AA split back in the 80's(?). I did find out that skiing is one of the National Collegiate Championship sports. That means there is only a single division for it. Every school with a men's or women's skiing team competes against one another.

The problem with Denver athletics beyond hockey and skiing is their conference affiliation. To me it seems like the Sun Belt Conference with teams like AR Little Rock, LA Lafayette, New Orleans, North Texas, Arkansas St., and LA Monroe among others does not fit in what Denver would ideally be looking for.

You're quite correct. The problem is that any conference Denver wants into doesn't want them, and the one conference that is willing to take them is one Denver feels would be a step down(Big Sky). They're caught between a rock and a hard place and are just hoping that one of their desired conferences will change their minds.

The problem is that any conference Denver wants into doesn't want them, and the one conference that is willing to take them is one Denver feels would be a step down(Big Sky). They're caught between a rock and a hard place and are just hoping that one of their desired conferences will change their minds.

What conference(s) is(are) Denver looking at?

Why would the Big Sky be a step down?

And no...I don't want to go to a Denver message board and ask them.

I don't see how the Big Sky would be a step down for them. They would still keep their current conference affiliations in their wildly successful niche sports like skiing, lacrosse, and hockey; and they would join a more geographically friendly and one that they'd potentially be more competetive in for M & W basketball in the Big Sky.

Like star2city says, they'll accept the invite when UND does. ???

Really though, I think it is their private, christian status that is the hang-up. They'd like to be in the WCC, but they are not in a coastal state.

Like star2city says, they'll accept the invite when UND does. ???

Really though, I think it is their private, christian status that is the hang-up. They'd like to be in the WCC, but they are not in a coastal state.

A. Didn't know they were in cahoots with UND

B. Didn't know that Denver was a religiously based institution

But, as I say, what benefit is having a DI classification for them?

Why not join Colorado College?

They'd still be able to participate at the highest level in skiing and hockey.

What are the benefits of NDSU having a DI classification? They could have just started DI hockey and made a ton of money while keeping the rest of their sports in DII. I would assume that DU looks at those benefits in the same light that NDSU does.

their wildly successful niche sports like skiing, lacrosse, and hockey

I know you're so desperate to have lacrosse at UND that you'll try to pass anything off as fact that you think will help that agenda.

But how in the world are you going to compare lacrosse at DU to lacrosse at Syracuse, Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Duke, etc.?

Tell that to the people funding the UP Center in Fargo. If hockey doesn't make money there is going to be some broke #$%^$##%% in about 5 years.

I think the simple fact is that a collegiate NDSU hockey team will never be as successful as UND's team already is.

Even if we somehow begged, borrowed or stole our way into the WCHA, we'd never have that kind of success.

So, that's why I think NDSU will never attempt an NCAA team.

Instead, we'll go for FBS football.

I know you're so desperate to have lacrosse at UND that you'll try to pass anything off as fact that you think will help that agenda.

But how in the world are you going to compare lacrosse at DU to lacrosse at Syracuse, Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Duke, etc.?

I didn't compare Denver lacrosse to those programs............you did.

They have been one of the better teams in their conference which includes the likes of Ohio St. and Notre Dame.

Speaking of desperation and passing off anything as fact to help an agenda, how's that UND and USD to the Gateway thing going? :D