SiouxSports.com Forum

New FCS Board

WYOBISONMAN

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and BEFORE you gentle roaming "giants" ;) of the prairie "CORRECT" me - let me correct you....if the FCS just makes you feel better about moving to "DIVISION I" by eliminating a couple small case letters behind the first 2 initials...GREAT but face it...it's just Division II football under a new name for the new millenium! Personally - I prefer DI-aa but I've been left in the dust apparently...just a question...Have you ever seen anyone wearing an "Appalachian State - FCS CHAMPS!!" t-shirt around...anywhere? It means NOTHING to the average american...

and BEFORE you gentle roaming "giants" ;) of the prairie "CORRECT" me - let me correct you....if the FCS just makes you feel better about moving to "DIVISION I" by eliminating a couple small case letters behind the first 2 initials...GREAT but face it...it's just Division II football under a new name for the new millenium! Personally - I prefer DI-aa but I've been left in the dust apparently...just a question...Have you ever seen anyone wearing an "Appalachian State - FCS CHAMPS!!" t-shirt around...anywhere? It means NOTHING to the average american...

Must have struck a nerve your now deleting posts. I repsonded to this post with a valid question and it was deleted. Is this board only open to those who fall in line with the Moderators opinions? I guess so. Please explain then if FCS is nothing more then DII what is the current DII division really supposed to be labeled. This isn't smack just responding to a question. If you delete this post again then you better delete the SiouxmeNow post or isnt' that considered smack?

PCM since you pm'd me with this message

Smack talk is not allowed on SiouxSports.com. Either edit your post to address the point made or it will be deleted. The moderators have been informed of this post.

Have you informed the rest of the Sioux posters on this site of this new piece of information? I see a lot of posts on this site that have nothing but smack in them. DaveK is one of the worst offenders.

Have you informed the rest of the Sioux posters on this site of this new piece of information? I see a lot of posts on this site that have nothing but smack in them. DaveK is one of the worst offenders.

How come your name isn't "DI (FCS) IN FARGO"? Aren't you falsely representing your school's position?

Show some respect.

The non-smack talk policy has been in effect since SiouxSports.com began. DaveK and other UND fans have been warned about their smack talk. Smack talk posts by UND fans have been deleted. Smack talk threads started by UND fans have been closed. Posters here are repeatedly reminded of the policy.

Apparently you don't understand the concept of a private message. But since you chose to make my PM to you public, I'm responding to you in public.

The non-smack talk policy has been in effect since SiouxSports.com began. DaveK and other UND fans have been warned about their smack talk. Smack talk posts by UND fans have been deleted. Smack talk threads started by UND fans have been closed. Posters here are repeatedly reminded of the policy.

Apparently you don't understand the concept of a private message. But since you chose to make my PM to you public, I'm responding to you in public.

Apparently you only monitor the threads that include what you consider smack by fans of other schools. UND posters are allowed a much wider smack tolerance then non und posters. By the way I understand perfectly well what PM's are for but put yours out there to show the hypocrisy or this so called Non Smack Policy.

I see nobody has bothered to answer the question either. So once again for those who care to explain or more specifically (SiouxMeNow) if FCS is nothing more then DII ball in your eyes what is it your playing now, DIII? DaveK could take a stab at it also since he ridicules the FCS label and makes ridiculous claims about your football team.

How come your name here isn't BisonBacker like it is everywhere else?

You just replied to the wrong post, right? Me, a BisonBacker? :lol:

Goof in Fargo, pretty sure that PCM isn't a moderator on siouxsports.com. Maybe he wanted to send you a PM so that he didn't have to call you a prick in public. ;)

Apparently you only monitor the threads that include what you consider smack by fans of other schools. UND posters are allowed a much wider smack tolerance then non und posters. By the way I understand perfectly well what PM's are for but put yours out there to show the hypocrisy or this so called Non Smack Policy.

We've been over this ground before. The fact is, UND posters have had posts deleted for smack talk, have had threads closed for smack talk topics, have been warned about their smack talk and have been suspended for engaging in smack talk. Those are all facts. You can continue to dispute them, but they're all true.

I'll let Jim Dahl handle it from here on.

You just replied to the wrong post, right? Me, a BisonBacker? :lol:

Goof in Fargo, pretty sure that PCM isn't a moderator on siouxsports.com. Maybe he wanted to send you a PM so that he didn't have to call you a prick in public. ;)

Smack talk isn't allowed but calling someone a prick is. OK I'm starting to get how this board is run.

Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance regarding football divisions now.

What is FCS football and how does it differ from D1-AA? For that matter, I thought DI was D1. I don't know what D1-AA is either. ;)

FCS stands for Football Championship Subdivision. I find your explanation laughable Dave

The FCS label is ridiculous. I-AA is a division that is somewhere in between D1 and D2, but much much closer to D2.

I guess that makes it easier for you to assert your wild observations and try to back them up by saying it's not really DI.

Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance regarding football divisions now.

What is FCS football and how does it differ from D1-AA? For that matter, I thought DI was D1. I don't know what D1-AA is either. ;)

[putting my teacher's hat on]

The answer to your question falls into three categories: correct abbreviations, "what is FCS?", and the I-AA/FCS name change.

The NCAA and its membership decided a long time ago that the different divisions would be represented by roman numerals rather than arabic ones; i.e. Division I, Division II, Division III instead of Division 1, Division 2, Division 3. The approved abbreviations follow the same rules with the addition of the lack of a space between the "D" and the roman numeral; i.e. DII rather than D2, D-II, D 2, D II or even DivII. Some people are picky about using the correct form of abbreviation and others have a looser outlook. The owner/administrator of the largest FCS fan site(Ralph Wallace at AnyGivenSaturday) is particularly vocal about using the proper terminology and that view has caught on with many(but by no means all) of the AGS members. Since AGS was one of the first places many Bison fans became familiar with FCS, that "correct usage" view has been embraced by many of us to differing extents.

So what is FCS? It stands for Football Championship Subdivision and is a part of Division I. DI can be broken down into three groups: schools that play FBS(Football Bowl Subdivision) football, schools that play FCS football, and schools that play no football. There are several differences between FBS and FCS schools. Using DI(no football) as a baseline, there are no additional requirements to participate in FCS and a school can award anywhere from zero scholarships in football to a maximum of 63. Those scholarships can also be broken up into partials and given to a maximum of 85 players. Moving up to FBS raises the limit to 85 scholarships but imposes a number of restrictions. A FBS school must give out a minimum of 90% of the 85(77) and no partial scholarships are allowed. Additionally, a FBS school must offer either a total of 200 full grants-in-aid(scholarships) or $4 million worth of grants-in-aid, whichever dollar value is lesser. A FBS school also faces an minimum average attendance requirement of 15,000 per home game over a rolling two year period(may use paid or actual attendance). Finally, a FBS school must offer an additional two sports beyond the 14 required for DI membership.

What about DI-AA? Well, up to about six months ago, FBS/FCS/no football were referred to as I-A/I-AA/I-AAA. There were several reasons for the change and I'm not going to get into them here. For the purposes of this discussion, the only info needed is that the change only involved the names and nothing else.

Why "Bowl" and "Championship" in the names? The NCAA does not have any kind of official football championship for schools that participate in FBS. Those schools vie for the BCS(Bowl Championship Series) championship which is a non-NCAA organization made up of NCAA members. The NCAA DI Football Championship is played for by FCS schools. Unlike the BCS, which uses polls and computer rankings to place teams into different bowl games, the FCS championship is a standard 16 seed tournament with eight autobids and eight at-large selections.

Lastly, the FBS(I-A) and FCS(I-AA) designations apply only to football. Technically, there is no difference between a FBS, FCS or no football school in non-football sports(i.e. basketball, volleyball, baseball, etc.). There is no I-AA volleyball or I-AA soccer. While most FBS schools do have larger budgets than their FCS counterparts(partially due to the 200/$4M GIA requirement), and thus have more success, they still compete for the same championships

[end lecture]

I'm sure this was way more information than you needed, but I wanted to answer any additional questions you might have all in one go. The fireworks between Sioux fans(DaveK, et al) and Bison fans(DI IN FARGO/BisonBacker, et al) stems partially from DaveK posting on AGS that he was going to continue to use I-AA regardless of the name change. Added to some previous postings on here from Bison fans talking about the name change(myself included), the standard Bison/Sioux stuff, and an understandable dislike around here of anything NCAA, FCS/I-AA has kinda turned into a knee-jerk topic to several posters here at SiouxSports, at Bisonville and BisonSports, and at AGS.

Smack talk isn't allowed but calling someone a prick is. OK I'm starting to get how this board is run.

I've been called a bitch, stupid bitch, dumb bitch, hmmm, there's other's but I can't remember them (not a prick though); usually by other Sioux fans who don't like my opinion and can't argue with me on a higher level. ;) It's been allowed. Smack talk, well, no that's not allowed.

I've been called a bitch, stupid bitch, dumb bitch, hmmm, there's other's but I can't remember them (not a prick though); usually by other Sioux fans who don't like my opinion and can't argue with me on a higher level. ;) It's been allowed. Smack talk, well, no that's not allowed.
For the record, calling someone a bitch or prick isn't allowed either. However, someone slipping an insulting name into the middle of an active debate is a lot harder to catch in a timely manner than a post or thread that's entirely smack. We try, and we do respond to reported complaints.

I'm sure this was way more information than you needed, but I wanted to answer any additional questions you might have all in one go. The fireworks between Sioux fans(DaveK, et al) and Bison fans(DI IN FARGO/BisonBacker, et al) stems partially from DaveK posting on AGS that he was going to continue to use I-AA regardless of the name change. Added to some previous postings on here from Bison fans talking about the name change(myself included), the standard Bison/Sioux stuff, and an understandable dislike around here of anything NCAA, FCS/I-AA has kinda turned into a knee-jerk topic to several posters here at SiouxSports, at Bisonville and BisonSports, and at AGS.

Thanks.

I've never said any such thing about any fan from any school on any board.