SiouxSports.com Forum

Unbelieveable: Forum editorializes against Va Teacher

star2city

This editorial is a disgrace to North Dakota and especially Fargo. Could any newspaper be thinner skinned and insecure about it's community's standing than respond to some third-rate teacher?

Forum Editorial: Fargo doing quite well, thank you

The fuss stirred up last month by a Falls Church, Va., teacher who used Fargo as his rhetorical punching bag, is fodder for critics of public school teachers. After all, teacher Tim Kane was so ignorant about Fargo that his credentials should be questioned.

A reminder: Kane warned graduates that the last place they wanted to end up is Fargo. He described North Dakota

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the Fraud should have shown some class and dignity as GF did with Dave Barry, or at least come back from the ledge. :)

The Fraud's editorial, again, demonstrates the inferiority complex that seems to pervade the state's "largest city". It reminds me of how the leaders of Minneapolis get their collective panties in a bunch whenever a business or political leader makes negative comments about the city. Then again, I suppose since Fargo is really a distant 'burb of St. Cloud, it only makes sense to "wet the bed".

Perhaps the Fraud should have shown some class and dignity as GF did with Dave Barry, or at least come back from the ledge. :)

The Fraud's editorial, again, demonstrates the inferiority complex that seems to pervade the state's "largest city". It reminds me of how the leaders of Minneapolis get their collective panties in a bunch whenever a business or political leader makes negative comments about the city. Then again, I suppose since Fargo is really a distant 'burb of St. Cloud, it only makes sense to "wet the bed".

Apples' and Oranges - Dave Barry's article was tongue and cheek and Kane's was meant to be a real put down. Besides if you read the article he's using Fargo as meaning all things midwest. I think that includes gf too! If something like this gives you a reason to attack Fargo, it seems that both scotty and star have hugh inferiority complexes about Fargo.

Fargo does have a complex , they want to be Minneapolis and they try so hard. But they are not, why can't they just accept that they are a smal to mid sized North Dakota city and be happy about it. you really gives a rats ass what someone in Virginia says about them. Let me guess no one in Fargo has ever made fun of rednecks from the south. So Fargo get over yourself and walk it off.

Apples' and Oranges - Dave Barry's article was tongue and cheek and Kane's was meant to be a real put down. Besides if you read the article he's using Fargo as meaning all things midwest. I think that includes gf too! If something like this gives you a reason to attack Fargo, it seems that both scotty and star have hugh inferiority complexes about Fargo.

It says in the editorial Kane's speech was supposed to be funny. Is that wrong?

This guy gave the speach as a teacher at a large high school graduation in a DC high school. Why does standing up for your community equal insecurity?

You are doing the same thing that is allegedly done on Bisonville - somehow turning an article involving Fargo into a rant against NDSU. What on earth does the article have to with NDSU?

Oh, boo hoo. Quit whining, Danielle. You're probably one of those assclowns who ranted against "Fargo" when it came out too. "We don't talk like that." "It's not that bleak and dreary in winter." :)

Considering I used to live in Fargo, and graduated from South, I am more than qualified to comment on Fargo's inferiority complex which seeped into the community college on the northside long ago. But, keep trying, your comments amuse me.

1) star2city: How in the world is an editorial in the Fargo Forum a disgrace to Fargo and ND?! What, are we not allowed to stand up for ourselves when someone is telling a graduating class to "not end up in Fargo, ND"?! I may bitch and moan about where I grew up, but I still call it home and I will still stick up for my hometown whenever someone criticizes it. I would hope that you would stick up for your hometown, too, when someone calls it the "armpit of the world." So don't criticize the people of Fargo for things someone else said.

2) ScottM: It's called THE FORUM, and it's a much better newspaper than the Herald. At least call it by its proper name. It has nothing to do with fraud, so don't criticize the newspaper just because of an editorial that someone wrote in it. You're from Fargo, you should know better than to criticize the Forum.

3) Bison Dan: For once, I completely agree with you!!!!!

4) sioux7>5: We don't try to be Minneapolis. We are proud enough to just be Fargo, ND. Have you ever lived in Fargo and gotten to know the feel of the city? If not, you have no right to criticize them either. By the way, yeah I personally have made fun of people from "the South" but I have met plenty of them and I know enough to say or not say some things. I do get offended every once in a while when other people say things about "people from the South"..... You can even ask my friends, they'll tell you that I stand up for them, thank you very much.

5) Diggler: Kane's speech was not meant to be funny. He meant it to be serious, which just proves his ignorance even more! I really don't think he'd appreciate it much if someone was saying those things about his hometown, even if it was meant to be funny.

I can't believe some of you, seriously.... You're criticizing a city for sticking up for itself, which GF has done plenty of times.... Give Fargo a break every once in a while, geez you guys never give it a rest....

1) star2city: How in the world is an editorial in the Fargo Forum a disgrace to Fargo and ND?! What, are we not allowed to stand up for ourselves when someone is telling a graduating class to "not end up in Fargo, ND"?! I may bitch and moan about where I grew up, but I still call it home and I will still stick up for my hometown whenever someone criticizes it. I would hope that you would stick up for your hometown, too, when someone calls it the "armpit of the world." So don't criticize the people of Fargo for things someone else said.

2) ScottM: It's called THE FORUM, and it's a much better newspaper than the Herald. At least call it by its proper name. It has nothing to do with fraud, so don't criticize the newspaper just because of an editorial that someone wrote in it. You're from Fargo, you should know better than to criticize the Forum.

3) Bison Dan: For once, I completely agree with you!!!!!

4) sioux7>5: We don't try to be Minneapolis. We are proud enough to just be Fargo, ND. Have you ever lived in Fargo and gotten to know the feel of the city? If not, you have no right to criticize them either. By the way, yeah I personally have made fun of people from "the South" but I have met plenty of them and I know enough to say or not say some things. I do get offended every once in a while when other people say things about "people from the South"..... You can even ask my friends, they'll tell you that I stand up for them, thank you very much.

5) Diggler: Kane's speech was not meant to be funny. He meant it to be serious, which just proves his ignorance even more! I really don't think he'd appreciate it much if someone was saying those things about his hometown, even if it was meant to be funny.

I can't believe some of you, seriously.... You're criticizing a city for sticking up for itself, which GF has done plenty of times.... Give Fargo a break every once in a while, geez you guys never give it a rest....

Yes I did live in Fargo and I do think they try to be like Minneapolis. So I guess I do have a right to my opinion. Fargo sometimes just takes themselves to seriously. Oh and why is the Forum a better paper then the Herald? Just curious what makes you say that.

If someone insulted either of my cities Grand Forks, or Chicago, I'd be upset. I'm don't just mean "o that town sucks." But insulted the people or its standards or beliefs, I would most likely return fire, or at least want to show that speaker the truth, and even try and get the speaker to publicly retract statements. I understand the people of Fargo are angry, I would also. Fargo is a great city, aside from being Bison fans, and sadly people in the country do not realize that.

I had never heard about the Dave Barry incident (if you could call it that). But only in Grand Forks, would we as a city turn around and 'kill someone with kindness' as my mother would say. I do truly love GF.

Fargo really wants to be part of Minnesota and the city does have an inferiority complex. My grandparents lived on the North side for 30 years and I spent plenty of time there. Fargo and, to a lesser extent, Bismarck fancy themselves as real "metro" areas. At least Fargo wants to be considered with the Minneapolis/St. Paul's of the world simply because the whole area is more than 100,000 people. Fargo is a good city and I have a lot of good memories there but much of the population does have a complex. It is flat and dreary in the winter. At least in the West -- Minot, Williston, Dickinson -- there are rolling hills and buttes and bluffs that give the area a western look and feel. The west is, by far, the more attractive and scenic part of the state.

Even though they are on the same side of the state, the people in GF are a lot more down to earth than the people in Fargo, in my experience. By the way, the proper term for the Forum is "the Fraud." For what it's worth "the Heckle" isn't much better. They're both fish wraps with no objectivity at all. The editorial staffs of both papers may as well be the PC Politburo.

I got to say the fact that Fargo media calls Fargo-Moorhead-Dilworth the metro area annoys me to no end. This is not a metro area. :)

Dangit! This is like the second straight post I've made where someone made the exact same point right before me. BOO!

Oh and why is the Forum a better paper then the Herald? Just curious what makes you say that.

Well because I don't know anyone up here that likes the Herald. Most people I know read the Forum online or buy one. I don't ever hear people say good things about the Herald. That's just my experience.

Oh, boo hoo. Quit whining, Danielle. You're probably one of those assclowns who ranted against "Fargo" when it came out too. "We don't talk like that." "It's not that bleak and dreary in winter." :)

Considering I used to live in Fargo, and graduated from South, I am more than qualified to comment on Fargo's inferiority complex which seeped into the community college on the northside long ago. But, keep trying, your comments amuse me.

Like I said before he was talking about the midwest in general, but some people aren't smart enough to figure that out. Do you really think that Kane meant only Fargo? If you do I have some land would be great for a land fill, over by Manville - Cheap! ;)

No, it's rightfully called "The Fraud". I read the paper in its various incarnations for much of Marcil's tenure, and its reporting and editorial content are more like the NY Post or National Enquirer. As for the Hurled, it's probably not much better since KR sold it to Fraud Communications.

Now, feel free to wash the sand out of your undies.

Edit: And Danielle, I think the last person who should giving any advice on reading comprehension is the valedictorian of su's "short bus" program.

Like I said before he was talking about the midwest in general, but some people aren't smart enough to figure that out. Do you really think that Kane meant only Fargo? If you do I have some land would be great for a land fill, over by Manville - Cheap! ;)

Hey now, my 2nd cousin lives in Manvel. Well, she used to. Now they live in Pisek and operate the Top Hat. ;)

I'll make this easy for everyone...

Fargo sucks. Period. People that defend it are ignorant. I come from a city in a different state the same size as Fargo and no one has hardly heard of it.

Grand Forks sucks. Period.

Bismarck is the best city out of the 4 in ND by far.

Not sure why Fargo people want to be so much like the Twin Cities, when that has to be the worst major metropolitan area I've ever been to, so I don't know what the reasoning is.

To everyone from ND, don't be so insecure. You are who you are, don't try to be or act like someone or something you're not. You can say that about every different place in the US. It just happens to be that the RR Valley of ND is one of the most miserable places I've ever experienced.

Fargo does have a complex , they want to be Minneapolis and they try so hard. But they are not, why can't they just accept that they are a smal to mid sized North Dakota city and be happy about it. you really gives a rats ass what someone in Virginia says about them. Let me guess no one in Fargo has ever made fun of rednecks from the south. So Fargo get over yourself and walk it off.

First off Fargo is not Minneapolis and by most larger city standards (cities of over one million in population) yes we are small. But by North Dakota Standards Fargo is the largest city. Yes we make fun of Rednecks all the time we have them close by in Grand Forks :)

Yes we make fun of Rednecks all the time we have them close by in Grand Forks :)

But at least the rednecks in Grand Forks can drive relatively well. Fargo's rednecks have to be the worst drivers in the history of this planet. I'm gonna die soon with all the idiots on the road.

I was born in GF, HS in St. Paul, College at UND, DDS in Omaha, and now live in western ND. I love my GF, UND and ND roots. I would not have wanted to raise a family anywhere else. Now, my 3 adult children and their families live in Fargo/W.Fargo and I could not be happier. They have maintained their ND roots and chosen to stay in our state when they could have easily gone elsewhere.

The Forum has every right, as do any of us, to be offended by that teacher's comments. They were uneducated, slanderous and incorrect statements. If it were a racial comparison instead of geographical, there would probably have been a National uproar. I do not, in this case, disagree with the Forum.

I think we would all be better off to appreciate our similarities (Fargo vs. GF) as ND cities. The UND/NDSU rivalry is healthy ... to a point, then it becomes cancerous. We sometimes let it go too far. We are all North Dakotans. Some love Bison Football. Some love Sioux Hockey. Some call Fargo a Mpls. wannabe. Yet others call GF a Fargo wannabe.

I truly believe both cities have great assets to offer their citizens, and as such we should embrace both their similarities and, at the same time, be thankful for their differences.

First off Fargo is not Minneapolis and by most larger city standards (cities of over one million in population) yes we are small. But by North Dakota Standards Fargo is the largest city. Yes we make fun of Rednecks all the time we have them close by in Grand Forks :)

Sorry, if you live in North Dakota, you have no idea what a redneck is.

I was born in GF, HS in St. Paul, College at UND, DDS in Omaha, and now live in western ND. I love my GF, UND and ND roots. I would not have wanted to raise a family anywhere else. Now, my 3 adult children and their families live in Fargo/W.Fargo and I could not be happier. They have maintained their ND roots and chosen to stay in our state when they could have easily gone elsewhere.

The Forum has every right, as do any of us, to be offended by that teacher's comments. They were uneducated, slanderous and incorrect statements. If it were a racial comparison instead of geographical, there would probably have been a National uproar. I do not, in this case, disagree with the Forum.

I think we would all be better off to appreciate our similarities (Fargo vs. GF) as ND cities. The UND/NDSU rivalry is healthy ... to a point, then it becomes cancerous. We sometimes let it go too far. We are all North Dakotans. Some love Bison Football. Some love Sioux Hockey. Some call Fargo a Mpls. wannabe. Yet others call GF a Fargo wannabe.

I truly believe both cities have great assets to offer their citizens, and as such we should embrace both their similarities and, at the same time, be thankful for their differences.

Very well said.