SiouxSports.com Forum

When is 1 inch longer than 180 feet?

The Sicatoka

THIS IS HUGE NEWS! Someone should call Channel 8!!! (or have someone call them - however it works out ..:p ) Anyway - I'm sure there will be wall to wall coverage of this the next couple days like there was when it happened - maybe about why ANY criminal charges were filed in the first place? :) It was just stupid...

goofy cops that arrested him for this and even more goofy prosecuter that filed the charges and took it to court. I would have hoped that the good people of the plains would have used alittle more common sense that what was exhibited here. What a waste of time, money and reputation. At least the judge showed good judgement - but it never should have gotten that far and its not even an election year.

THIS IS HUGE NEWS! Someone should call Channel 8!!! (or have someone call them - however it works out ..:p ) Anyway - I'm sure there will be wall to wall coverage of this the next couple days like there was when it happened - maybe about why ANY criminal charges were filed in the first place? :) It was just stupid...

Yep

Funny, the facts come out and all of the sudden, the charges look like complete BS and the people demanding Bina's head turn out to be the uninformed a$$holes we all suspected they were. The sad thing about this is that even though he committed no crime and should have never been charged, this will still follow him around. This is too bad, because the way he played most of last season, I really thought he would have a chance as an All-American.

:)

Funny, the facts come out and all of the sudden, the charges look like complete BS and the people demanding Bina's head turn out to be the uninformed a$$holes we all suspected they were. The sad thing about this is that even though he committed no crime and should have never been charged, this will still follow him around. This is too bad, because the way he played most of last season, I really thought he would have a chance as an All-American.

:)

this wont have anything to do with next season at all, its actually a joke when all said and done, oh well........

Ok, here's devil's advocate:

Should charges have been filed or this case been prosecuted to where it was? Who knows. But, police officers in the field are given a code of reference when it comes to the law. I almost think that they are instructed that it is better to arrest and have charges be dropped than let someone walk who was really guilty of a crime. Sure, the code changes for traffic citations, but that's my guess anyways. Bina opened the door a crack, it wasn't much, but the police officers thought it was enough. This isn't the Duke Lacrosse fiasco. The DA didn't try to nail his ass to the cross. It may have been better if some sort of arrangement could have been made insofar as that it not needing to take the time and money to bring it before a judge, but in any case, what is done is done.

Should charges have been filed or this case been prosecuted to where it was? Who knows. But, police officers in the field are given a code of reference when it comes to the law. I almost think that they are instructed that it is better to arrest and have charges be dropped than let someone walk who was really guilty of a crime. Sure, the code changes for traffic citations, but that's my guess anyways. Bina opened the door a crack, it wasn't much, but the police officers thought it was enough. This isn't the Duke Lacrosse fiasco. The DA didn't try to nail his ass to the cross. It may have been better if some sort of arrangement could have been made insofar as that it not needing to take the time and money to bring it before a judge, but in any case, what is done is done.

Maybe there's a crime there, but it sure as heck wasn't "helping them escape." Pretty embarrassing for the States Attorney's office in my opinion.

I volunteered months ago to be the special prosecutor and dismiss the charge. It would have cost the city plane fare from Milwaukee to GF, some Pepper food and a hotel for the night, assuming all my friends are away at the lake. Sometimes the prosecutor has to tell the cops they are wrong in requesting charges on stuff. Should never have been issued IMHO.

The charges were not dropped however - the case was dismissed by the judge. The prosecutor would have had to drop the charges and he/she did not. For this to have gone to trial is a joke.

I was so happy for Robbie. Though without having to look because I have really slow internet right now, who was it that said in January that he probably opened the door to talk to them? That person gets the halo. As to whether or not the charges should have been filed that entirely depends. if it is an older cop, they might be more willing to just let it go; if it is a young cop who is trying to get on the good side of his boss, he might not be so willing. Either way, case dismissed and Robbie knew the truth, time to move on.

I was so happy for Robbie. Though without having to look because I have really slow internet right now, who was it that said in January that he probably opened the door to talk to them? That person gets the halo. As to whether or not the charges should have been filed that entirely depends. if it is an older cop, they might be more willing to just let it go; if it is a young cop who is trying to get on the good side of his boss, he might not be so willing. Either way, case dismissed and Robbie knew the truth, time to move on.

i think it was officer favraaaa, that bastard

6999_heading.jpg

DEVIL ADVOCATE:

1.He was not arrested at Judy's!! If he would have tried to help them escape he would have been charged and arrested on the spot. :)

2.The problem arose when WDAZ (your home team) REPORTED 2 days later that he may be charged.

3.The States Attorney was in a no win situation. Let it go and be second guessed by all and be accused of brushing it under the rug. At this time USCHO and college hockey boards nationwide were already running with the first WDAZ (your home team) misinformation campaign "storey" Calling it a MINOR

4.I think with the USCHO coverage on this and WDAZ (your home team) being there source. Made this a big college hockey buzz storey in chat rooms and such for a couple of weeks. :p

5. When the first report went out WDAZ (your home team) Reported they were charged with

MINORS there is the problem in a nut shell. Misreported from the get go. By YOUR HOME TEAM which team is there home team? WDAZ thru Bina TJ and JT under the bus after already making this a lot bigger deal then it was by misreporting this from the get go.

6.Shame on all of you who bashed our boys on our board! ;)

7.Shame of WDAZ :)

This is my rant for today

The fact remains that the chief of police of Grand Forks met with the team after this incident. That signals that the police were looking to send a message. Apparently the state's attorney agreed with the police if he took this (something a judge tossed after an hour) into a courtroom.

I could dredge up history of guys on the roster and run-ins with law enforcement but why. The key is the police believed it was time for a message to be sent.

Either GF has the ND version of LAPD (and every hockey player is named Rodney King) or there's more to the story than we know.

The fact remains that the chief of police of Grand Forks met with the team after this incident. That signals that the police were looking to send a message. Apparently the state's attorney agreed with the police if he took this (something a judge tossed after an hour) into a courtroom.

I could dredge up history of guys on the roster and run-ins with law enforcement but why. The key is the police believed it was time for a message to be sent.

Either GF has the ND version of LAPD (and every hockey player is named Rodney King) or there's more to the story than we know.

Chip please, It was tossed out, what more do you need to know? Of cource there is more to the story. He did not do anythig worth the courts time and they still pushed it. Robbie is a stand up guy and deserves a lot of credit for standing up to them!

I realize that the police are in a no win situation in a case like this. Either way they are going to be criticized.

However the chief of police meeting with the team isn't a big deal. It could be PR or it could be something he wanted to say.

The fact that the States Attorney took this case to court reflects very poorly on them.

It was tossed out, what more do you need to know?

It would be interesting to know what was so important that led a state's attorney to take something into a court room that would get tossed after an hour. A state's attorney has to have a pretty good idea going in if he can win or not. To get tossed in an hour? That's a waste of his time, the court's time, and the taxpayer dollar ... unless there's something that can be gained by making the effort.

What was the state's attorney trying to gain, what precedent was he looking to set, by doing this?