SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 NHL Entry Draft

USA Hockey

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this will be a good draft for und. gregoire is eligible too, correct? i could see him moving big. blood and malone could move big too, because they are so big.

gregoire, blood, malone, frattin will be drafted. eidsness may be as well. who is the last sioux goalie to be drafted??

Your up Goon ..............Oh Wait wrong forum :lol:

LOL, Fetch..

One thing I might want to expand on while UND will have players drafted, it seems that a few of our recruits aren't going to go in the first two rounds except for Malone. Maybe we can keep some of them more than two seasons. :D

72. D Ben Blood, 6-3 215, 3-15-1989, Shattuck USHS

++ Size and Strength

+ Hockey sense, play on the point

- Mobility, Poor competition level

He appears to have too much junk in the drunk and will need to trim down to become quicker.

Is that a nice way to say that a person needs to lose some weight?

I figured I would start a thread for the draft, tsn released their final rankings of the top 60 and Malone was UND's highest prospect at 58. Here is the link, http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11082&hubname=

If Sergei Korostin (#52) is so good, why didn't he hardly play? Obviously he played for Moscow Dynamo, but if he's only gonna play 7 games all season, why the heck doesn't he play for a lower league team?

LOL, Fetch..

One thing I might want to expand on while UND will have players drafted, it seems that a few of our recruits aren't going to go in the first two rounds except for Malone. Maybe we can keep some of them more than two seasons. :D

Be honest - you should want to have players on your team that have the talent/skill to be considered in the top 10/50 in the world for their age - that is what we have had here for the past 5+ years. It's not like those players aren't out there - they are choosing other colleges - mainly UM and UW.

There may be better days to come (08/09) but the 06 & 07 recruiting classes have to be considered thin on skill compared to the others we have had recently.

We can't have it both ways - when we have high draft picks, we promote that fact proudly as a sign of good times ahead. When we don't, we should be honest and not try to rationalize - "Hooray - they'll be here longer."

But you can have a nice recruiting class without high draft picks. Seems to me the Hobey Baker winner was a great recruit and he wasn't drafted. Ideally you would like a few top draft picks because that means they have a prototypical body, but some prototypical types aren't stars in college. (See Barry Tallackson and Brad Winchester for examples). A good mix is what I would like, that way you can have some continuity in your recruiting and have a few more upperclassmen, as well as having top-end talent.

But you can have a nice recruiting class without high draft picks. Seems to me the Hobey Baker winner was a great recruit and he wasn't drafted. Ideally you would like a few top draft picks because that means they have a prototypical body, but some prototypical types aren't stars in college. (See Barry Tallackson and Brad Winchester for examples). A good mix is what I would like, that way you can have some continuity in your recruiting and have a few more upperclassmen, as well as having top-end talent.

Who's our 06/07 "top end" talent?

Also - the NHL also "misses" - see this year's SC winner -a few undrafted free angents + a few top 10 players = championship.

Bottom line - you need both.

Be honest - you should want to have players on your team that have the talent/skill to be considered in the top 10/50 in the world for their age - that is what we have had here for the past 5+ years. It's not like those players aren't out there - they are choosing other colleges - mainly UM and UW.

There may be better days to come (08/09) but the 06 & 07 recruiting classes have to be considered thin on skill compared to the others we have had recently.

We can't have it both ways - when we have high draft picks, we promote that fact proudly as a sign of good times ahead. When we don't, we should be honest and not try to rationalize - "Hooray - they'll be here longer."

Although Minnesota and Wisconsin have had the better rated classes the last two years, I wouldn't say our recruit classes are thin on skill. Remember, that Forney would've been a first-early second round draft pick if for not gettting injured and performing at the combine. Also, Derrick Lapoint is first/second round talent but (including myself) was underated due to competition level. Another thing to remember is that haven't necessarily needed big recruit classes the last two seasons because of the 05 class, sometimes those scholarships can hold out until a later date (08 or 09). Also, remember that being a mid round pick can sometimes work out very well. Case in point, take Ryan Potulny who was drafted in the third round and never played on a world junior team, he ended out being the best foward in the nation his junior year.

Although Minnesota and Wisconsin have had the better rated classes the last two years, I wouldn't say our recruit classes are thin on skill. Remember, that Forney would've been a first-early second round draft pick if for not gettting injured and performing at the combine. Also, Derrick Lapoint is first/second round talent but (including myself) was underated due to competition level. Another thing to remember is that haven't necessarily needed big recruit classes the last two seasons because of the 05 class, sometimes those scholarships can hold out until a later date (08 or 09). Also, remember that being a mid round pick can sometimes work out very well. Case in point, take Ryan Potulny who was drafted in the third round and never played on a world junior team, he ended out being the best foward in the nation his junior year.

Well said

Who's our 06/07 "top end" talent?

Also - the NHL also "misses" - see this year's SC winner -a few undrafted free angents + a few top 10 players = championship.

Bottom line - you need both.

Thats what you need to win a National title older players like Wisconsin had when they won it...