SiouxSports.com Forum

Inline Skating

ScottM

Okay, I've played hockey in the past, and have decided to get off my butt and try inline skating. It's not too bad, and so far the only thing I've damaged is my pride when my butt hits the pavement, and I'm currently using a pair of cheapo skates, I think they're an off-brand of Rollerblade.

I'm enjoying the activity and am looking to upgrade the skates, and thinking fit is probably more important as I gain more confidence and skill. I've always worn hockey skates about a size or so smaller than my shoe size, but that doesn't seem to work for me with inline skates. So I figure I'll probably go closer to my normal shoe size. Any thoughts on any particular brands for wider feet? I'm looking at K2, Salomon, Rollerblade (the real thing) and Bauer.

Mucho thanks. :D

One of the main things you want to look at is the bearing used in the skate. The bearing that Rollerblade uses is excellent. When you spin the wheels you'll be able to tell the difference in the quality of the bearing just by listening to it. Those Kame-Apart specials you're using right now are probably pretty noisy. I can't remember the name of the bearing that Rollerblade uses, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to find out. I'd ask what bearing K2, Salomon & Bauer use and see if it's the same as Rollerblade. Maybe the others even have a better bearing now, I haven't checked them out for a long time.

It's about time you opened that crusty wallet and spent a few of those dusty Benjamin

I use a Mission skate because it has an actual hockey boot. I think most "hockey manufacturers" incorperate a hockey boot where the more recreational oriented companies do not. Since my ice skates use essentially the same boot, it was an easy transition from the ice to the wheels.

The bearings are rated on an ABEC scale. Basically, the higher the number, the tighter the tolerance and better quality of bearing. (yes, the price goes up with the number) My current skates have an ABEC 7 rated bearing, although I don't think I can tell the difference between them and my old skates. (ABEC 3) Maybe the longevity factor will come into play... who knows.

Oh yeah... the hockey-based skates generally don't come with the heel brake. :D

I use a Mission skate because it has an actual hockey boot. I think most "hockey manufacturers" incorperate a hockey boot where the more recreational oriented companies do not. Since my ice skates use essentially the same boot, it was an easy transition from the ice to the wheels.

The bearings are rated on an ABEC scale. Basically, the higher the number, the tighter the tolerance and better quality of bearing. (yes, the price goes up with the number) My current skates have an ABEC 7 rated bearing, although I don't think I can tell the difference between them and my old skates. (ABEC 3) Maybe the longevity factor will come into play... who knows.

Oh yeah... the hockey-based skates generally don't come with the heel brake. :D

I also use Mission from when they first started making them. They've been excellent. I'm looking to get some new wheels and bearings myself though the bearings are actually still in good shape.

The one thing to remember with the hockey boot is that they need some breaking in.

Just an update. I bought a pair of K2 Exos, the proverbial "soft boot". I bought them from Fogdog and they fit nearly perfectly. Very good skates for me, and probably fine for embarrassing myself on neighborhood sidewalks and the parking lot of the local school.

Thanks again. :silly:

I actually started in line skating again. I couldn't believe how much I had forgot and how long it had been since I skated. It had been over 10 years. I got a really nice pair at Play it Again for 60.00 I have skated a few times but the rainy weather has put a damper on things. :silly: