SiouxSports.com Forum

Thanks for Choosing UND

siouxnami

Thanks for choosing UND, we have enjoyed watching play and develop here. Best wishes for continued success at the next level. Thanks for giving us 2 great years and adding to the history that is Fighting Sioux Hockey.

I think I heard an enormous sigh of relief from a host of defensemen, especially in Mankato...

P.S. Send that brother of yours our way... :lol:

P.P.S. Yes, this is another JT thread, get over it, its an open board...

All of us true hockey fans realize how lucky we were to have you for two seasons. Good luck with everything, you are going to be a superstar in the NHL the first time you step on the ice. My only hope is that Chicago isn't the hockey wasteland it has been the last few years. I hope they make some moves this offseason to strengthen their chances of a playoff run. You will be a Sioux forever, but kick some ass in your new sweater next season! :lol:

JT is a special hockey player. We all forget just how young he is. Good Luck Jonathan! A little silver bowl on top of a lot of great names will add nicely to your collection of gold medals. UND was lucky to have you, and it was a privelege to watch you compete.

Next year I expect we will get to see JT, ZP, TZ, DS, BB, and JB skate regular shifts in the NHL...what a program!!!

Chuck, I don't pretend to understand the NC$$ recruiting restrictions, but what part of what she said on an independent forum board is a violation? She is a student joking about wanting JT's little brother to sign a LOI? Again, I'm not saying your wrong, but if that is where the line is, how the hell does the NC$$ keep up... monitor every message board for every DI and DII school?

Chuck, I don't pretend to understand the NC$$ recruiting restrictions, but what part of what she said on an independent forum board is a violation? She is a student joking about wanting JT's little brother to sign a LOI? Again, I'm not saying your wrong, but if that is where the line is, how the hell does the NC$$ keep up... monitor every message board for every DI and DII school?

I don't think it has anything to do with this board. It has everything to do with the idea that a fan or booster contacting a potential recruit with the intent to recruit this player towards a specific institution. I don't know the rules about that, but something tells me that it's not looked too kindly upon by the NCAA.

Nobody on this board wants to lose a recruit or to see UND getting in trouble because some overly excited and hopeful fan or booster knowingly or unknowingly violated NCAA recruiting policies.

I don't think it has anything to do with this board. It has everything to do with the idea that a fan or booster contacting a potential recruit with the intent to recruit this player towards a specific institution. I don't know the rules about that, but something tells me that it's not looked too kindly upon by the NCAA.

Nobody on this board wants to lose a recruit or to see UND getting in trouble because some overly excited and hopeful fan or booster knowingly or unknowingly violated NCAA recruiting policies.

Exactly...when I used to have a blog I wanted to interview a couple of Wisconsin recruits who had already committed. You should have seen the hoops I had to jump through with the people at Wisconsin and the Big Ten and NCAA. Before I made the mistake of doing this without permission I contacted the right people at Wisconsin first to find out what I should be doing. They needed everything but my mothers maiden name and my jock size basically to find out if I could do these interviews or not. If you are a classified as a booster you better not have any contact with any recruits what so ever. I am not a Wisconsin booster, I have never donated money or even personally paid money to the University of Wisconsin for any tickets. Here is an example of one of the e-mails with the people at Wisconsin.

"I discussed your blog site with the Big Ten and we concluded that as

long as you are not recruiting, soliciting, or encouraging a prospect to

attend Wisconsin, it is permissible for you to contact a prospect for

newsworthy interview purposes. For example, you can interview a

prospect and ask general questions, but during the interview you cannot

talk about how great Wisconsin's hockey team is, the playing

opportunities at Wisconsin, or otherwise try to recruit the prospect to

Wisconsin. "

So please DON'T CONTACT RECRUITS.

Exactly...when I used to have a blog I wanted to interview a couple of Wisconsin recruits who had already committed. You should have seen the hoops I had to jump through with the people at Wisconsin and the Big Ten and NCAA. Before I made the mistake of doing this without permission I contacted the right people at Wisconsin first to find out what I should be doing. They needed everything but my mothers maiden name and my jock size basically to find out if I could do these interviews or not. If you are a classified as a booster you better not have any contact with any recruits what so ever. I am not a Wisconsin booster, I have never donated money or even personally paid money to the University of Wisconsin for any tickets. Here is an example of one of the e-mails with the people at Wisconsin.

"I discussed your blog site with the Big Ten and we concluded that as

long as you are not recruiting, soliciting, or encouraging a prospect to

attend Wisconsin, it is permissible for you to contact a prospect for

newsworthy interview purposes. For example, you can interview a

prospect and ask general questions, but during the interview you cannot

talk about how great Wisconsin's hockey team is, the playing

opportunities at Wisconsin, or otherwise try to recruit the prospect to

Wisconsin. "

So please DON'T CONTACT RECRUITS.

exactly, just be safe and dont do it......

exactly, just be safe and dont do it......

I don't know or understand all of the rules and regulations either, but I find it hard to believe that even as screwed up as the NCAA is, that someone contacting a player and telling them about UND would be a violation. Yes, it would be if it was someone associated with UND (booster, coach, athletic director, etc.), but just a fan? If Joe Schmoe finds out that some hockey star has a MySpace page, putting a plug on it for UND can't be held against Hakstol and UND as an institution, can it?

I don't know or understand all of the rules and regulations either, but I find it hard to believe that even as screwed up as the NCAA is, that someone contacting a player and telling them about UND would be a violation. Yes, it would be if it was someone associated with UND (booster, coach, athletic director, etc.), but just a fan? If Joe Schmoe finds out that some hockey star has a MySpace page, putting a plug on it for UND can't be held against Hakstol and UND as an institution, can it?

In short, yes. It comes down to the definition of "booster".

From UND's booster compliance information:

You are considered a "Representative of the University's Athletics Interests (a booster) if you:

* have participated in or are currently a member of any athletics department booster group, the Fighting Sioux Club, or Sioux Boosters;

* made a donation to the men's or women's athletic program;

* have assisted or been asked to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

* have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

* have been or are involved in promoting UND athletics in any way.

Once a person is defined as a booster/representative of UND's athletic interests, they retain that identity indefinitely, even if they no longer support the athletics program.

"In July, UK self-reported secondary violations in the recruitment of Huntington (W.Va.) forward Patrick Patterson. The school reported between 20 and 25 fans had posted messages on Patterson's MySpace page."

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...05130424/-1/SPT

In short, yes. It comes down to the definition of "booster".

From UND's booster compliance information:

Thanks...so help me to understand this further. If I, or Leah (Sioux Yeah Yeah) contacted a prospect and told them about UND and said we wanted them to come here, what rule would that break?

I am not sure about Leah, but I:

- have never been a part of UND's athletics department or booster group.

- have never made a donation to an athletic program at UND.

- have never assisted or been asked to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

- have never assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families.

- have never been or are involved in promoting UND athletics in any way.

If it was that easy to get a school in trouble by telling a recruit to go to UND, then what would stop me from contacting all of these prized recruits and telling them that I went to Michigan, Maine, Boston College, Minnesota, Michigan State, Boston U, Denver, Wisconsin etc. and that they should come to those schools? That way I could get those schools in trouble, and all the top recruits would then only be able to go to UND!!!

Thanks...so help me to understand this further. If I, or Leah (Sioux Yeah Yeah) contacted a prospect and told them about UND and said we wanted them to come here, what rule would that break?

I am not sure about Leah, but I:

- have never been a part of UND's athletics department or booster group.

- have never made a donation to an athletic program at UND.

- have never assisted or been asked to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

- have never assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families.

- have never been or are involved in promoting UND athletics in any way.

If it was that easy to get a school in trouble by telling a recruit to go to UND, then what would stop me from contacting all of these prized recruits and telling them that I went to Michigan, Maine, Boston College, Minnesota, Michigan State, Boston U, Denver, Wisconsin etc. and that they should come to those schools? That way I could get those schools in trouble, and all the top recruits would then only be able to go to UND!!!

You would be breaking this...

You would be breaking this...

I guess I took it as have been or are involved in promoting UND athletics in any way in an official capacity on behalf of UND, not as a "fan". So I guess my question still stands:

What would stop me or someone else from contacting all of these prized recruits and telling them that I went to Michigan, Maine, Boston College, Minnesota, Michigan State, Boston U, Denver, Wisconsin etc. and that they should come to those schools? That way I could get those schools in trouble, and all the top recruits would then only be able to go to UND!!!

I guess I took it as have been or are involved in promoting UND athletics in any way in an official capacity on behalf of UND, not as a "fan". So I guess my question still stands:

What would stop me or someone else from contacting all of these prized recruits and telling them that I went to Michigan, Maine, Boston College, Minnesota, Michigan State, Boston U, Denver, Wisconsin etc. and that they should come to those schools? That way I could get those schools in trouble, and all the top recruits would then only be able to go to UND!!!

Because if you really did this...the NCAA will look into your personal situation. Find out if you went to school there, or are a booster. Find out that you are really a North Dakota fan and then North Dakota gets in trouble. Is that something you want?

Because if you really did this...the NCAA will look into your personal situation. Find out if you went to school there, or are a booster. Find out that you are really a North Dakota fan and then North Dakota gets in trouble. Is that something you want?

HA...relax a bit! I'm just asking a question. I never said you were wrong and I never said that I have ever or was ever planning on contacting anyone. It just seems to me that this is rediculous. If Leah knows someone from her home town that is a good hockey player and she goes to school at UND, it seems VERY STUPID that she wouldn't be able to say "Hey, buddy, you should check out UND - they've got a great school and great hockey program".

HA...relax a bit! I'm just asking a question. I never said you were wrong and I never said that I have ever or was ever planning on contacting anyone. It just seems to me that this is rediculous. If Leah knows someone from her home town that is a good hockey player and she goes to school at UND, it seems VERY STUPID that she wouldn't be able to say "Hey, buddy, you should check out UND - they've got a great school and great hockey program".

It's the NCAA...a lot of stuff they do doesn't make sense. But no...it's not even something thats funny to joke around about.

It's the NCAA...a lot of stuff they do doesn't make sense. But no...it's not even something thats funny to joke around about.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I agree, a lot about the NCAA doesn't make sense. It just seems that it would be so easy to get another school in trouble. For example, I have family and friends in Minnesota and the Minneapolis area. They have never went to UND, but are UND fans. Really, how tough would it be for them to send a recruit an email or post on their MySpace account saying "Come play for the Gophers, we love you, you'll be our fan-favorite, etc."? Although the school could/would get into trouble, what could the NCAA do to the person who sent the email? Tell them to stop it? Big deal.

I guess I'll stop harping on this subject now...I never planned on contacting anyone nor would I have anyone do what I just mentioned above, I just wanted to get some reasoning and information behind this dumb rule.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I agree, a lot about the NCAA doesn't make sense. It just seems that it would be so easy to get another school in trouble. For example, I have family and friends in Minnesota and the Minneapolis area. They have never went to UND, but are UND fans. Really, how tough would it be for them to send a recruit an email or post on their MySpace account saying "Come play for the Gophers, we love you, you'll be our fan-favorite, etc."? Although the school could/would get into trouble, what could the NCAA do to the person who sent the email? Tell them to stop it? Big deal.

I guess I'll stop harping on this subject now...I never planned on contacting anyone nor would I have anyone do what I just mentioned above, I just wanted to get some reasoning and information behind this dumb rule.

I think somewhere along the line you got confused for others who have allegedly contacted potential recruits. I don't think there was anything wrong with your asking for clarification on the rules.

Along with Chuck, though, I get a bit nervous to read posts on how some SS.com poster plans or (or did) contact a player about the possibility of attending UND. In my opinion, it's best not to do anything of that sort and know that you did not violate even the oddest or nonsensical NCAA rule than contact them and unknowingly violate the rules. In other words, better safe than sorry.