SiouxSports.com Forum

Thanks for Choosing UND

siouxnami

I think the best thing you can do if you know of a good player is to email the coach and let him know about the athlete. Sometimes there are some kids out there that no one knows about yet.I am a HS coach in Minnesota and I get things all the time from colleges for my athletes. I hand them all out and tell the kids to look at what it is they want to be doing 5-10 years down the road. Will going to a certain college help you acheive that goal? I also wear a lot of Sioux Green with logos to the majority of my practices or to games. If someone asks me about UND, i tell them it's a great place for an education and I enjoyed going there. I also tell them I'd go back there in a heart beat and be a student/athlete again. I also had a parent ask me about whether her oldest daughter should go to UND or NDSU. They knew I was an alum of UND and a former athlete. I repeated what I said earlier. The result was that their oldest daughter went to UND followed by 2 more sisters. GO SIOUX!

I can't remember the exact NC$$ site but a 'fan' is considered a booster by the NC$$.

I wouldn't be worried about the NC$$ doing anything to me as a fan/booster but since in their eyes I represent UND, they can certainly do something to the University. Last year when I was involved with others in planning a neighborhood BBQ and a few of the players were invited, I spent a lot of time researching for possible adverse implications/rule breaking. This is a big deal and many sanctions have been imposed for what we would consider non-issues. For example, a motel gives out coupons for free or discounted breakfasts to all their guests, a recruit was given a coupon and this was found to be a violation of NC$$ rules. The recruit went back and paid for his breakfast. Stupid? Yes but we are talking about the NC$$.

As a fan, if I talk up UND to a possible recruit, I and he/she are breaking NC$$ rules and the school is subject to sanctions. Don't believe me? Do your own research. It's quite an eye opener.

I can't remember the exact NC$$ site but a 'fan' is considered a booster by the NC$$.

I wouldn't be worried about the NC$$ doing anything to me as a fan/booster but since in their eyes I represent UND, they can certainly do something to the University. Last year when I was involved with others in planning a neighborhood BBQ and a few of the players were invited, I spent a lot of time researching for possible adverse implications/rule breaking. This is a big deal and many sanctions have been imposed for what we would consider non-issues. For example, a motel gives out coupons for free or discounted breakfasts to all their guests, a recruit was given a coupon and this was found to be a violation of NC$$ rules. The recruit went back and paid for his breakfast. Stupid? Yes but we are talking about the NC$$.

As a fan, if I talk up UND to a possible recruit, I and he/she are breaking NC$$ rules and the school is subject to sanctions. Don't believe me? Do your own research. It's quite an eye opener.

Word to the wise: If the hotel the players stay at says "Free Continental breakfast" go to Denny's or Embers or Perkins etc.

Can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes reading through this thread. YES, THANK YOU JT for wearing the Sioux sweater for two years! We'll miss you. NO- I seriously doubt the NCAA could care less about a fan joking about "Yeah I want Davey here too... I'm workin on it lol" Unless Sioux Yeah Yeah is actually an assistant coach, and not some girl named Leah, GET OVER IT.

For those of you not in the know: lol-laughing out loud. Not lol- I'm a booster sending Davey a check every month.

Like one of the previous posters said, what's to stop Joe Fan posing as a gopher fan, trying to get the athletic dept in trouble by actually contacting potential recruits. Or even less, just joking about it on a fan forum?

Can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes reading through this thread. YES, THANK YOU JT for wearing the Sioux sweater for two years! We'll miss you. NO- I seriously doubt the NCAA could care less about a fan joking about "Yeah I want Davey here too... I'm workin on it lol" Unless Sioux Yeah Yeah is actually an assistant coach, and not some girl named Leah, GET OVER IT.

For those of you not in the know: lol-laughing out loud. Not lol- I'm a booster sending Davey a check every month.

Like one of the previous posters said, what's to stop Joe Fan posing as a gopher fan, trying to get the athletic dept in trouble by actually contacting potential recruits. Or even less, just joking about it on a fan forum?

Obviously you didn't read the link i sent you about UK. The NCAA does care about it. It would be more legal if Sioux Yeah Yeah was an assistant coach. Because assistant coaches are able to recruit.

JB (Jason Blake) won one in 1997 with the Sioux.

Sorry, I thought JB was Jan Brady. That chick had one helluva slap shot but only a bunch of participation banners to show for it. My point is that I don't give a rats ass how many former Sioux players are studs in the NHL. Great programs win championships, they don't just produce great pros. One day way down the road, I'm betting that JT will regret that it was something he never accomplished. Hell, judging by the kids talent, it may be the only thing he won't be able to put an a Hall of Fame resume.

Best of luck JT although I won't be watching you from here on in. I lose all interest in sports once paychecks and agents are involved.

Sorry, I thought JB was Jan Brady. That chick had one helluva slap shot but only a bunch of participation banners to show for it. My point is that I don't give a rats ass how many former Sioux players are studs in the NHL. Great programs win championships, they don't just produce great pros. One day way down the road, I'm betting that JT will regret that it was something he never accomplished. Hell, judging by the kids talent, it may be the only thing he won't be able to put an a Hall of Fame resume.

Best of luck JT although I won't be watching you from here on in. I lose all interest in sports once paychecks and agents are involved.

Damned straight there 7>4. Well said. I too am a big fan of amateurs, what with being one myself and all.

i love college sports more like many but lets not rip pro sports because they make money :( but i do know what you are saying so you dont have to explain again..just saying

yeah, they should just play for free food and housing!!

dont hate the player, hate the game.... :p

Ah, unless Versus picks up a game here and there and/or the Blackhawks make the playoffs, we won't be watching him play. The owner of the Blackhawks won't televise the games because he believes that it adversely affects attendance. Too bad he doesn't realize that his team sucks, which is why no one goes.

Obviously you didn't read the link i sent you about UK. The NCAA does care about it. It would be more legal if Sioux Yeah Yeah was an assistant coach. Because assistant coaches are able to recruit.

Well, I did only "waste" 5 minutes reading the thread. Apparently there was a lot of info that was covered that I didn't read.