SiouxSports.com Forum

An Excellent Read On The Sioux Logo

NanoBison

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am worried that they keep pushing this "force of the north" crap because thats what they wanna make it when we end up having to change the name. THAT WOULD SUCK. either way. I hope the name never changes, but if it does, they better take student and alumni suggestions and have the students and alumni vote on a new name.

I am worried that they keep pushing this "force of the north" crap because thats what they wanna make it when we end up having to change the name. THAT WOULD SUCK. either way. I hope the name never changes, but if it does, they better take student and alumni suggestions and have the students and alumni vote on a new name.

As has been said on this board several times, IT'S JUST A MARKETING SLOGAN. That's how marketing works. Force of the North would be a very tough name to use, it is multiple words and too long. If there is a change they will have to get everyone involved because they will want people to buy into the name and that would be difficult if any name is forced on people. No new name would be popular with everyone, but they would need a core group to accept it.

Why is it that Sioux fans make such a point of insisting that UND does not have a "mascot"? Why does the definition of that word make any difference?

It makes a hell of a lot of difference. The Fighting Sioux is a team name we don't have a mascot, I don't know how many times we have to say this but some seem to be more dense than others. If UND had a mascot; we would have a guy dressed as an indian riding a horse out on to the ice or field and throwing a flaming spear into the center of ice or field/turf. There is no such thing in North Dakota. Like I mentioned earlier some of these hand wringing liberals have a hard time with common english. :(;):(

That was a great mascot! I wish they'd bring it back too. I don't see what was so offensive about it. It was not an image from any race/group at all. It was simply green and ran up and down the stairs at football games. I guess it was offensive to the libs because they couldn't figure out what it was.s

It was stupid, but stupid in an AWESOME way. lol. I was pretty little when i used to chase him around at the old Engelstad. I'll see if my mom has a picture of me with it that I can scan in so those of you who have never seen it can witness its greatness!

It makes a hell of a lot of difference. The Fighting Sioux is a team name we don't have a mascot, I don't know how many times we have to say this but some seem to be more dense than others. If UND had a mascot; we would have a guy dressed as an indian riding a horse out on to the ice or field and throwing a flaming spear into the center of ice or field/turf. There is no such thing in North Dakota. Like I mentioned earlier some of these hand wringing liberals have a hard time with common english. :(;):(

Yes, everyone realizes that, to its credit, UND doesn't have a guy dressed up in an Indian suit, and that that fact is relevant to the discussion. But, you manage to completely miss the point. Your interpetation of the meaning of that word is debatable, at best, and in my view flat wrong!

In any case, how one defines that word makes no absolutely no difference to the nickname debate.

In any case, how one defines that word makes no absolutely no difference to the nickname debate.

You are correct. The definition of a mascot has no bearing on the nickname or logo debate. It does have a bearing on the mascot debate.

Except that there is no separate mascot debate.

Well, here we disagree. It most certainly does! The NC$$ also sees it as a separate debate. For example, the New Mexico Scorpions are not named after a Native American group but the arena in which they play has a very distinct Native American logo on it's front facade. It they were a college hockey team, the 'imagery' on the building would have to be covered up, removed before it could host a NC$$ event. Name, logo, mascot>> three distinctly different debatable issues. Just ask Wm and Mary about their feather or the U of I about their mascot.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/8706763

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter,...."

"...mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

The committee also strongly suggested that institutions follow the best practices of institutions that do not support the use of Native American mascots or imagery.

Well, here we disagree. It most certainly does! The NC$$ also sees it as a separate debate. For example, the New Mexico Scorpions are not named after a Native American group but the arena in which they play has a very distinct Native American logo on it's front facade. It they were a college hockey team, the 'imagery' on the building would have to be covered up, removed before it could host a NC$$ event. Name, logo, mascot>> three distinctly different debatable issues. Just ask Wm and Mary about their feather or the U of I about their mascot.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/8706763

Hey Sioux-cia, cut that out. These people don't like it when you bring facts into the arguement. :)

I think it is very probable that und does have a mascot, and you all think it too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mascot

um, all of those mascots were people dressed up as the mascot and if you look at the list of college mascots that you can find at the bottom, the Sioux are not on it. Though, again it is wikipedia and they are not the best source in the world since anyone can tell them that something is fact and they will write it.

um, all of those mascots were people dressed up as the mascot and if you look at the list of college mascots that you can find at the bottom, the Sioux are not on it. Though, again it is wikipedia and they are not the best source in the world since anyone can tell them that something is fact and they will write it.

I think it is a lost cause trying to explain it to these people. We know it but for some reason they can't seem to get it.

It makes a hell of a lot of difference. The Fighting Sioux is a team name we don't have a mascot, I don't know how many times we have to say this but some seem to be more dense than others. If UND had a mascot; we would have a guy dressed as an indian riding a horse out on to the ice or field and throwing a flaming spear into the center of ice or field/turf. There is no such thing in North Dakota. Like I mentioned earlier some of these hand wringing liberals have a hard time with common english. :):wink::D

I would guess that's because they're all liberal's, eh Goon? I can tell from reading past posts that your world is separated into black and white, good and evil, republican and democrat, conservative and liberal....heaping all of each into its own special narrow category. I myself used to be republican but now lean more toward democratic. I used to be more conservative but I now am more liberal. I guess I've lost my way in the world of Goon. That said, I am a staunch supporter of the Sioux nickname and logo and know plenty of liberal minded people who are just as committed to keeping the name. After all, doesn't liberal mean tolerance of other people's ideas and freedoms, while conservatism basically puts blinders on its followers and pipes Rush Limbaugh thru headphones and into their heads....because of course, Rush is right! Oops, now I've stereotyped conservatives...Sorry Goon, I'm just a little tired of you putting all liberal thinking people into the same little pigeon hole. I don't think UND has a mascot and I actually believe it's the conservatives that have a problem accepting and understanding other people's ideas. Maybe I should have just let this go, but this is not a forum to bash liberal or conservative values, it is a forum to discuss the Sioux Nickname and Logo in a non-partisan manner. Now that my bashing is done, Go Sioux!!!

PS: I really don't want to start a long-drawn out debate here, I'm just addressing a concern and I have nothing against your beliefs Goon, you're intitled to believe anything you want...just quit bashing liberals....we don't all deserve it...but I'd agree many do (as do many conservatives).

I would guess that's because they're all liberal's, eh Goon? I can tell from reading past posts that your world is separated into black and white, good and evil, republican and democrat, conservative and liberal....heaping all of each into its own special narrow category. I myself used to be republican but now lean more toward democratic. I used to be more conservative but I now am more liberal. I guess I've lost my way in the world of Goon. That said, I am a staunch supporter of the Sioux nickname and logo and know plenty of liberal minded people who are just as committed to keeping the name. After all, doesn't liberal mean tolerance of other people's ideas and freedoms, while conservatism basically puts blinders on its followers and pipes Rush Limbaugh thru headphones and into their heads....because of course, Rush is right! Oops, now I've stereotyped conservatives...Sorry Goon, I'm just a little tired of you putting all liberal thinking people into the same little pigeon hole. I don't think UND has a mascot and I actually believe it's the conservatives that have a problem accepting and understanding other people's ideas. Maybe I should have just let this go, but this is not a forum to bash liberal or conservative values, it is a forum to discuss the Sioux Nickname and Logo in a non-partisan manner. Now that my bashing is done, Go Sioux!!!

PS: I really don't want to start a long-drawn out debate here, I'm just addressing a concern and I have nothing against your beliefs Goon, you're intitled to believe anything you want...just quit bashing liberals....we don't all deserve it...but I'd agree many do (as do many conservatives).

I think you missing the point. I don't even listen to Rush Limbaugh, I don't have time, he isn't very interesting anyways. :) Funny maybe you can give me a run down on what has been on the program as of late. That's as silly as saying all LIBERALS listen to NPR and Air America. :wink: You and I know we can't name one right winger that is trying to take the UND Fighting Sioux logo away from UND, I haven't seen one conservative voice calling for the name to be changed.

98.5 percent of the people are that are spealing out against the FIGHTING SIOUX name are a hand wringing left leaning liberal activists, many of them college professors with nothing better to do with their time. There are far more pressing concerns in this country that a name for a sports team. The reason they are pushing so hard is they see the University in as vulnerable right now, and they won't give up.

In fact I can name many if not all of of them were from the sociology department. This is the same academic department that I got my BA and MA degrees from. Not one of them was anything I would consider to be Republican, Conservative or even a moderate for that matter, most of them aren't very open minded about this subject either. My world far from being black and white cut and dry. I think its silly that anytime someone is considered to be right leaning we are sheep and take our marching orders from Rush Limbaugh, I have informed myself on the issues, so you just did the same thing you accussed me of doing, you just tried to pigeon hole me. First off you would have better off not responding.

Here is my solution, the problem people that are dems or people of the left leaning persuasion need to stand up to the fall leaning activists of democratic party there aren't a enough Zoe Millers around. Right here at home our own Byron Dorgans sits around idely letting the far left extremes of the Fighting Sioux nick name debeat define playing field and the debate. Why do you think that is? Byron is worried about losing votes. Until you guys tell these people to stop pushing these politically correct agendas down the rest of our throats, they are going to define the left wing political agenda. They aren't going to listen to us.

Edited by Goon