SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's best all time line?

Sioux17

This is all I have to say and everyone knows it! haha

"Outlined against a blue-gray March sky the Three Horsemen skated again. In dramatic lore they are known as Pain, Destruction, and Death. They are only aliases. Their real names are: Massen, Fabian and Canady"

Seriously.. has anyone seen anything prettier than an Erik Fabian wraparound goal??

I didnt think so.. haha We can put that 2005 frozen four win over the gophers on Fabians shoulders

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some individual comparsions here

Joyce with Stafford & Toews

Johnson with oshie - Bo & duncan -parise - panzer

blake & greg johnson kinda stand out alone

but Tony stands alone

I'm sure I'm missing some

I saw sykes but was not knowledgeable enough to realize how good he was

In fact I can't think of many from other teams better that those above :D

And you are wrong about Babe not facing anyone throwing 100 miles an hour. There have been guys that can throw that fast in all eras. Plus, they could legally throw the spit ball when Babe played, current players don't have to face spit ballers on a regular basis. But it is very difficult to compare the eras of baseball because of 2 major factors, segregation and expansion. Babe only played against white players. But then again, there are approximately twice as many major league baseball teams now as in Babe's era. So there are a lot of players in the majors now that would have been lucky to even see AAA baseball if we had fewer teams. Does that balance out some of the differences? We will never know because it is impossible to accurately compare players or teams from different eras. But superstars, like Babe Ruth, would be successful in any era.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. slow down. It is a different NHL today too. And while Hrkac had decent NHL stats and fantastic AHL(IHL) numbers, if he was coming out of college today with the way the NHL is officiated now, he would be an absolute superstar.

I think there might be some merit to that statement. Small guys can dominate in the NEW NHL. :D

I think there might be some merit to that statement. Small guys can dominate in the NEW NHL. :D

Here are some stats for you for the year before Hrkac scored his 116 points:

Canadian National Team (this was when NHL'ers were generally not part of the program)

Skaters Regular

# Player Name Birthdate Age Pos. GP G A Pts PIMS

Cliff Ronning 1965-10-01 20 C 71 55 63 118 53

Mike Millar 1965-04-28 20 R 69 50 38 88 74

Don McLaren 1963-01-17 23 R 69 44 38 82 12

Tony Hrkac 1966-07-07 19 C 62 19 30 49 36

Fabian Joseph 1965-12-05 20 C 71 26 18 44 51

Serge Roy 1962-06-25 23 D 67 8 34 42 53

I think we all know who Cliff Ronning was. He became a fairly decent NHL'er for the Vancouver Canucks but no superstar. To suggest that Hrkac would be a superstar in today's game simply doesn't make sense. Nor is it consistent with what he actually accomplished after he left UND.

Now how did they measure these 100 mph pitches in Babe's era? Think about it and then let me know. I'm just curious how they figured it out.

I'll bet you nobody can tell you or I definitively that the speed was 100 mph or 90 mph or 85 mph. My betting is that the equipment didn't exist. And don't get me wrong, I know that it was possible to measure things going at a 100 mph but the distance travelled had to fairly long and the time had to be fairly long as well. Measuring a pitch with a stop watch, even using today's watches is simply not going to cut it for me.

According to this source. The article is talking about the actual mechanics of throwing a baseball that fast.

Pitching delivery velocities or speeds have not differed in the last 90 years. Walter Johnson in 1914 was clocked at throwing 99.7 mph. Bob Feller in 1946 was able to throw at 98.6 mph. And, the great Nolan Ryan threw 100.7 mph.

Earlier pitchers were timed using a variety of methods including early radar equipment and the motorcycle test, where a motorcycle would drive by at a certain speed and the pitcher would throw the ball. They would estimate the velocity by whether it was in front of or behind the motorcycle. But even now we don't have a definitive answer because we have companies that measure the speed in 2 different ways as explained here.

Different radar guns can produce different readings for the exact same pitch. Some guns measure velocity just after a pitcher releases the ball; others calculate velocity just before it crosses home plate. According to most estimates, a baseball loses between 3 and 5 mph between these two points. Today, most major-league clubs use devices that take the earlier reading

How about any line with Jason Blake on it. Did he not play with the Panzers or the Hoogsteens for a couple of years? I've gone to games since the early 90s and those lines always seemed to be pretty impressive.

Well, actually Walter Johnson / Cy Young were said to have extremely high velocity on their pitches. Older historians say upper 90's would be a good estimate. Cy was before Ruth's time, and Johnson was shutting it down while Babe was still pitching.

You can also make arguements that the Wcha was very strong in those years, look at the NHL all stars that played college hockey in the 80's era. Brett Hull (UMD), Ed Belfour (UND), John Casey (UND), Chris Chelios (WISC), Neal Broten (Minn). These are only a few that I could think of off the top of my head.

Dave Christian and Mike Ramsey would be good additions to the list as well - they both played over 1000 games in the NHL.

PCM, you should talk to Mr. Snow about his sources, but he didn't get it from me. Article today on NHL.com about the future NHLers in the frozen four talks about Bochenski, Parise and Stafford as one of the best lines in NCAA history. I don't know how to link it, but is is at the top of the main page on NHL.com.

Here it is

PCM, you should talk to Mr. Snow about his sources, but he didn't get it from me. Article today on NHL.com about the future NHLers in the frozen four talks about Bochenski, Parise and Stafford as one of the best lines in NCAA history. I don't know how to link it, but is is at the top of the main page on NHL.com.

I covered every single home game the one season that Stafford, Bochenski and Parise all played for UND. Did Mr. Snow? I know for a fact that those three very rarely played together as a line. The link I provided to collegehockeystats.net, which is the official record, backs me up on this.

I have recordings of the 2004 WCHA Final Five. Who's on UND's first line for both games? Murray, Parise and Bochenski. I also have recordings of the 2004 West Regionals in Colorado Springs. Who's on UND's first line for both those games? Murray, Parise and Bochenski.

I'm not saying that Stafford, Bochenski and Parise never played together because Blais made a practice of juggling lines throughout games. It's certainly possible that they played more than the one game they started together as a line. It's possible that they were on the ice at the same time on the power play.

If you still don't believe me, how do you explain this?

fineline.jpg

Photoshop? :D:D

Caught! :silly:

Right after I hacked the starting lineups at collegehockeystats.net, I fired up Photoshop to create a fictitious magazine cover. I guess I really do have too much time on my hands. :D

Caught! :silly:

Right after I hacked the starting lineups at collegehockeystats.net, I fired up Photoshop to create a fictitious magazine cover. I guess I really do have too much time on my hands. :D

Well, at least we are giving you lots of credit...

No one beats the Hrkac Circus.

From USCHO's championship game notebook:

The Last Time It Happened

You would have to dig all the way back to 1987 to find the last Spartan squad that played for a national title.

In an attempt to repeat as back-to-back champions, MSU fell to Gino Gasparini's North Dakota team complete with the Hrkac Circus

I'd have to go with the Parise/Stafford/Bochenski line.

Somebody refresh my memory now... who was on the line with Panzer and Bayda in 1999-2000? That was another very good line.

Bryan Lundbohm?

Then the other great line we had was Ulmer, Goren and :lol:??

Somebody refresh my memory now... who was on the line with Panzer and Bayda in 1999-2000? That was another very good line.

murray was on that line way more than stafford, the MONEY line consisted of parise,bo and murray, not stafford for the most part

murray was on that line way more than stafford, the MONEY line consisted of parise,bo and murray, not stafford for the most part

Parise came the year before Murray, right.

So Parise's first year didn't Zach and Bo play together with.....Stafford?

You're saying that a line with players who started one game together is UND's best all-time line? :lol::D:D

Or did you forget to put a smilely at the end of that sentence? ;)