SiouxSports.com Forum

Consolation Prize

kvinbe

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is you don't have to put down the opponent to feel good about our favorite team. If anything, building the opponent up makes our team look that much better for having defeated them. For the people spewing "they suck" not in those exact words, how does it makes us look if a team that sucks took us to OT? On the other hand, for fans such as myself who refer to the Gophers as a great team how does it make us look if we beat a great team. Just a little something to ponder.

I don't like the "Overrated" chant for the same reason*. To me it says, "Ha ha! You can't be as good as people say you are, because WE can beat you!" Doesn't make any sense to me.

*I have to admit, there were two games in '96 where I joined in. The Brian Bonin-led #1 in the nation Gophers came to town riding a 19 game unbeaten streak, and the Sioux (19-18-1 on the season) throttled Minnesota 8-2 and 7-5 on consecutive nights. Those of us in the student section heartily let Woog and the boys know that they were overrated. A special circumstance if ever there was one. ???

Sioux18

DaveK:

It is not possible to be a True Sioux fan and a True Gopher fan at the same time....at least not when it comes to hockey. It is physiologically impossible. It is like trying to stick the same sides of two magnets together.

Whoever mentioned there should be a gopher hate forum, I agree. Maybe there should be a "Smack Talk" forum, or a "Other Colleges" thread.

This is kind of bothering me, after reading some of the comments posted by some people in this thread that claim to be gracious losers.

Being a poor loser. Would that include your children's hockey games......accusing the team that just beat you of cheating? Having a coach on the ice motioning to the coach that he just lost to to "bring it on"? Waiting outside of the other team's locker room to yell at the parents on the other team and accuse them of cheating?

I'm just wondering because some of the comments in this thread are saying just the opposite and it's starting to make me sick to my stomach.

Okay, this strikes a nerve with me. :silly: What HockeyMom is referring to here is a Squirts B game between Mayport and the Fargo Flyers about a year and a half ago. The Mayport team had what I would refer to as a ringer on their team. This kid was vastly superior to everybody else on the ice and actually was playing up with their Pee Wee team at the same time. I saw him on the Mayport Pee Wees team picture in the lobby of their rink the previous time the Flyers had played them.

There was some question among Flyers, Raiders, Angels, and GF Blues parents as to whether this Mayport kid was actually a true Pee Wee or a Squirt age player who just moved up to Pee Wees because he had the talent to do it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was young enough to play Squirts, but that is a moot point as far as I'm concerned. Once he gets moved up to Pee Wees because has the talent to play with and against Pee Wees he really shouldn't go back down and play Squirts. In Fargo we have some of the better 2nd year Mites play up with the Squirts and would never ever consider letting them go back to Mites again after having played with Squirts. That would be unfair to the Mites to do that.

Anyways, in the Mayport/Flyers Squirts B game this particular player hogged the puck all game long and scored about five or six goals by skating end to end without making any attempt to pass, including one with about 7 or 8 seconds left in the 3rd period in what was already a lopsided score. After one of his many goals that day he slowly skated by the Flyers bench while mouthing off about how bad we sucked. Having him on the ice was a detriment to all of his teammates, because they all just basically stood around and watched him do all the work. It wasn't doing him any good to participate at that level because it wasn't challenging for him and it obviously wasn't doing his teammates any good because they hardly got a chance to do anything.

That is the concern I had when I approached the coach of that team after the game. However, my train of thought got sidetracked when the coach began gloating about the win (as if wins and losses really matter at that age) ??? which caused me to get angry and react in a way that I later reretted. At that point I started going off on the running up the score and the star player mouthing off to our bench without being told afterwards that was inappropriate behavior. I had no intentions of yelling at any Mayport parents until they surrounded me and butted into what was intended to be a conversation between myself and the coach, nobody else.

The ironic thing that came out of that exchange was the comment about how "we're getting sick of people in almost every town getting upset about this". Soooooooo... if people in every town were getting upset about that very same issue, I guess the people in all those other towns were out of line just like the Fargo people right? I don't think the Mayport team ever thought to look themselves in the mirror and just consider for a brief moment that perhaps maybe they were doing something wrong to have upset so many people in so many different towns. You guys weren't the problem, it was everybody else. Right? Hey, you're the one who made the decision to air this dirty laundry. I'm merely filling in the blanks.

Was I out of line to approach the coach of the Mayport team? Yes I was. I used poor judgement on that day. It's none of my business if that team wants to do whatever it takes to win, even if it at the expense of some of their average players who almost never touch the puck when the ringer is on the ice. If my child was on that team I would have a right to voice my concern, but because I'm in no way associated with that team it's not my place to offer an opinion. I learned from that mistake, and never again will I stick my nose where it doesn't belong. I might shake my head in disgust while feeling sympathy for some of those kids, but I'll mind my own business. I'm just glad that my kids are in a program that puts the development of players as a higher priority than winning the game at such a young age.

As for the coach of the losing team motioning to "bring it"... uhhhhhhh, I was in the box working the clock that day and the handshake line happened literally right in front of my face. I saw no such motion, although I did notice our coach refused to shake hands with your coach. Now, I won't try to justify that. I think it was a poor way to react to what he perceived as poor sportsmanship. He should have taken the high road. But, I have no recollection of a "bring it" motion. Perhaps I blinked and missed it?

PS - This is beside the point, but the original emphasis was on being a poor winner (not a poor loser). Ironically, the Mayport coach and their little ringer displayed a perfect example of being poor winners on that day. Once again, I would like to make it very clear that wins and losses are not important to me at that level. I'm more interested in seeing kids develop skills so they can compete later in life when wins and losses are more important. Being a poor winner in Squirts hockey is 100 times more disgusting than being a poor winner in high school or college hockey, IMHO.

This is why Jon Toews is such a special player. I used to coach against him when he was exactly this age. Jon would score his 5 or 6 goals which would happen about half way through the game. Once he had his fill of goals he would ask the coach (which was rare since he was very aware of what was going on) who hadn't scored in a while. He would then spend the rest of the game trying to get that kid a goal. His leadership qualities started at a very young age. The kid in the above story is not being taught to be a true leader or a good teammate. If it keeps up he will never make it.

Anyway, DaveK, your right, you should never stick your nose in something like this. It never pays. Just remember that the best of the best, don't do this stuff. They are much more gracious in winning or losing.

All of our players were Squirt age. We sometimes have too few numbers to field a team. Example-this year there were not even close to enough players to be on the PeeWee team. It was probably 2/3 Squirts, so that they could field a team. The Pee Wee State Tournament was the same weekend as the Squirt League Tournament and they could not send a Pee Wee team to state. It comes down to fielding a team so that as many kids that want to play, can play.

As for the coach of the losing team motioning to "bring it"... uhhhhhhh, I was in the box working the clock that day and the handshake line happened literally right in front of my face. I saw no such motion, although I did notice our coach refused to shake hands with your coach. Now, I won't try to justify that. I think it was a poor way to react to what he perceived as poor sportsmanship. He should have taken the high road. But, I have no recollection of a "bring it" motion. Perhaps I blinked and missed it?

I saw it from the railing at the top of the steps. He also refused to shake hands with one of the kids.

This is beside the point, but the original emphasis was on being a poor winner (not a poor loser).

So it's okay to be a poor loser?

PS-We had our own issues with that kid.....and his parents. I won't get into that.

This thread has migrated from discussing consolation for the poor Gophers to the trials and tribulations of Squirt hockey.

Interesting correlation perhaps. ???

So do you think that Mayville team could beat the Gophers? :silly::huh:

There were fewer players on that team than what the Mayport Squirts team had, and we always managed to have enough players to put a team on the ice even when one or two couldn't make it... so it was not neccessary to bring that Squirt aged player with Pee Wee skills back down to Squirts.

The Squirt team wasn't short, the Pee Wee team was. Our club requirement is that they are eligible to play with their age team, and move up if the player choses to do so. They can play both teams if they chose. It's a decision made by that player and their parents.

Needless to say, our Squirt team was 86875876897 times better this year than it was last year. They played like a team. It was a fun season.

My boys played little guy hockey and I loved it. I was privileged in having parents of like thought on their teams. The only time a parent got involved in how our teams were coached or another team played was once. Our children were being being beat up on the ice with sticks, checking from behind, etc. and the 'home' referee didn't call any penalties on the other team. It was a tournament situation. The dads went to the tournament officials and told them we were pulling our team out of the tournament if the same referee was scheduled for any more of our games.

It is NEVER ok for a parent to go up to another coach or parent of an opposing player after a game and read them the riot act. You complain to the organization's officials. DaveK, you went up to the coach and started in on him and you're surprised the parents came to his defense? *shakes head*

It sounds like DaveK was the cause of the 'incident'. Doesn't matter how you try to lay blame on the kid and his coach. Had you not approached the coach, the parents would not have been involved.

*I miss little guy hockey!!*

WOOOOWHOOOOO, we're going to the FROZEN FOUR!!!!!!

and the Gopher's aren't!!

Yes, I was wrong to approach their coach. I still think it was wrong of all those parents to surround me the way they did. The discussion didn't get heated until that point. I was talking to the coach without raising my voice. Only after a bunch of parents butted into the conversation with raised voices did I raise my voice. Although I thought the coach was being an arrogant jerk I'm confident that I would have been able to keep the conversation civil had those parents not jumped into it. Again, I will be the first to admit I was wrong to raise my concern to begin with as it wasn't my place to say anything. I made a mistake and learned from it.

Maybe the kid was that good. There is a kid in EGF bantams that is a monster (Meaning he is good, he could probably have been on the high school team), he is in 9th grade but he looks as if he could be a junior. The kid can also golf against and beat most adult males. That's just a fact of hockey. I didn't hear anyone complaining when he was playing. However, I heard a lot people say wow that kid is good. Just a thought. I probably wouldn't have gone up and approached the coach if I had been in your shoes.

It wasn't just that he was good that bothered me, it was that he hogged the puck and showboated while running up the score and the coach did nothing to discourage that behavior. My son has played against lots of other teams that had a player who was just as good if not better and nobody else ever made me that upset. Still, I shouldn't have approached the coach and will never do it again. Live and learn.

I have youth hockey stories that would make your skin crawl..... :silly:

My favorite, at a state tourney, a Bantam A team was losing by 2 goals late in the third period and the parents of the LOSING team started chanting "overrated" at the winning team. WHAAAAT?

I won't get into my least favorites... ???