SiouxSports.com Forum

Booooooo

yekcoh

I hope UND fans have more class than to boo the opposing team's players. It bugged me when Lammy's name was announced as having been chosen for the All Tournament Team at the Final Five this weekend and the MN fans "boo-ed" so loudly that we could hardly hear ourselves cheer for him. We clapped for ALL of the players when their names were announced, but I looked around and saw very little of that happening from MN fans. I have never heard so much booing in all my life.

We sit in the same place every year and the father/son from MN behind us have so much class. We meet them at the Final Five and Frozen Four yearly and this year even exchanged email addresses so we can keep in touch. On the other hand, some woman sitting beside me for only the MN/W game was horrible. She yelled at the ref, the MN players, the Wisconsin players, the fans.. nothing was positive, she was all about negative in her loud blond bimbo voice. She barely knew the game of hockey but it didn't keep her from "commenting" on every play for all of us sitting near her.

I just hope UND fans don't resort to this lack of respect for a group of young talented men showing up to play a great game of hockey. It is just too bad that fans have to put up with this year after year when we go to St. Paul. A little razzing back and forth is fine, but all the "suck" and "boo" is just childish.

Let's UND be the classiest fans in all of college hockey!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is still some bad blood between Gopher fans and Lammy after the incident last year at Mariucci Friday and Saturday night. I appluaded him but it was hard. It just bugs me after he makes a glove save how he flails his arm around like saying, "look at me, look at me!" And I know, I know Wheelers display after the game was not much better.

It comes down to sportsmanship at that time. Win or lose and no matter what team a player is on, you have to show some appreciation for those players that busted their tail the whole weekend, as Lammy did. I was not surprised he got goaltender of the weekend, he made some SPECTACULAR saves on Friday against St. Cloud and on Saturday night as well.

I think there is still some bad blood between Gopher fans and Lammy after the incident last year at Mariucci Friday and Saturday night. I appluaded him but it was hard. It just bugs me after he makes a glove save how he flails his arm around like saying, "look at me, look at me!" And I know, I know Wheelers display after the game was not much better.

It comes down to sportsmanship at that time. Win or lose and no matter what team a player is on, you have to show some appreciation for those players that busted their tail the whole weekend, as Lammy did. I was not surprised he got goaltender of the weekend, he made some SPECTACULAR saves on Friday against St. Cloud and on Saturday night as well.

Nice picture..jersey shaking in the most classless thing of all that a player can do.

Is Lammy holding up his glove to say "look at me" or is he showing the ref he caught the puck, not unlike a baseball outfielder who catches the ball and wants to show that it wasn't trapped?

I had a Gopher fan behind me this weekend who, when Lammy made a glove save, yelled at him to hold up his glove and showboat "like he always does". Did you see Lammy do that this weekend? I didn't. I did want to suggest to the guy that MN goalies don't do that because, well, you have to actually catch the puck. But the weekend didn't go my way. :silly:

Is Lammy holding up his glove to say "look at me" or is he showing the ref he caught the puck, not unlike a baseball outfielder who catches the ball and wants to show that it wasn't trapped?

I had a Gopher fan behind me this weekend who, when Lammy made a glove save, yelled at him to hold up his glove and showboat "like he always does". Did you see Lammy do that this weekend? I didn't. I did want to suggest to the guy that MN goalies don't do that because, well, you have to actually catch the puck. But the weekend didn't go my way. :silly:

I have noticed that Lammy skates way outside the net too now when he makes a glove save after he was plowed down by that Mankato player in the playoffs. He was down and not moving for a LONG time.

Nice picture..jersey shaking in the most classless thing of all that a player can do.

pretty high-schoolish

like everybody coloring their hair blonde, some of the celebrations I witnessed when the gophs scored a goal, and of course picking up the puck and throwing it out of your zone

all pretty high-schoolish

Once again lack of knowledge by Minnesota "hockey fans" automatically label Phil as a showboat because he displays his glove after a save.

Think about it (which I know is asking quite a bit for a Gopher fan), if you are 5 foot 6 and being run game after game by 6 foot 3 two hundred pound plus forwards don't you think that displaying to the ref's that you have the puck and that getting out of the way are simply done at the very least as self defense? Wow! There is a concept.

Now, Wheeler on the other hand......well I won't go there. But just keep shifting the focus on Lammy's actions as a "showboat" to make Wheeler look less ridiculous.

Whatever! :silly:

I don't think what Lammy does is showboating at all. In my opinion it's him showing the ref that he caught the puck and has it. He skates out of the crease to avoid any collisions which understandable since he got plowed the last time he stayed in net after getting the puck against Mankato. I don't know why so many people think the Wheeler jersey pop is so bad. He was virtually in front of his home crowd plus he just got the game winning goal against a huge rival. Under those circumstances I think it's allowable considering how high each teams emotions were.

The Danny Irmen jersey pop in Grand Forks however wasn't classy at all.

I'm not saying what Wheeler did was right, but if the Sioux would have gotten the game winning goal in OT like that, you don't think they would do some kind of showboating? Like I said, a time like that emotions start taking over. I personally didn't like him doing that either (but I do like my avatar just for the memory of that goal), sames goes with Irmens jersey pop up at REA a few years ago....his was especially bad seeing it was at an opposing arena.

I just don't want to see hockey turn into basketball showboating. :silly:

I think if you saw how much Lamoureux has been hacked, slashed and poked with sticks after making a save, you'd understand why wants the ref to know the puck is in his glove when he has it. I don't think it's showboating. I think it's self-preservation.

I'm not saying what Wheeler did was right, but if the Sioux would have gotten the game winning goal in OT like that, you don't think they would do some kind of showboating? Like I said, a time like that emotions start taking over. I personally didn't like him doing that either (but I do like my avatar just for the memory of that goal), sames goes with Irmens jersey pop up at REA a few years ago....his was especially bad seeing it was at an opposing arena.

I just don't want to see hockey turn into basketball showboating. :silly:

No. they would have all raised their hands up in the air, hog piled the goalie and give each other hugs and high fives....There would have been not one player shaking a jersey, but possibly a couple fans maybe who have no idea that that is a classless thing to do.

No. they would have all raised their hands up in the air, hog piled the goalie and give each other hugs and high fives....There would have been not one player shaking a jersey, but possibly a couple fans maybe who have no idea that that is a classless thing to do.

It's because they realize that hockey is a team sport! They always celebrate the way laupsided just stated.

It's because they realize that hockey is a team sport! They always celebrate the way laupsided just stated.

alot of gophs have done this in the past as well - skate off to get acknowledgement from the crowd and then turn to their mates. Tallackson (among others) was always good for that type of self promotion

Can't we move beyond the "our fans and players are so much classier than yours" debate. Both sides have stupid fans and great fans, both teams have arrogance and sportsmanship. This is a rivalry fellas, We're not supposed to be proper during the games. You don't play cheap, and fans should not be crude, but you do play/cheer with passion and talk some trash. It's trying to get a mental/emotional edge. Now how you behave after the games is another story. That's a time to shake hands, say nice game and buy the lsoing fan/player a beer.

In Lammy' defense, he was the biggest showboat goalie in the college hockey. I don't mind skating out of the crease, that's fine, but the "posing" he'd do after a save was obnoxious. That said, I didn't see him do it once during the final five. Not sure why, but I noticed and appraciated it. ALthough, there's nothing wrong with him showboating during the game if he can back it up. Not my style, but as written earlier, maybe it's gives him an edge emtioanl/mentaly.

Well, I would personally like to thank the Gopher fans who boorishly booed Lammy's selection as tournament goaltender because they made me want to be a better person. Instead of standing in stunned and hurt silence while the Gophers (individually and as a team) accepted their accolades, I was moved to applaud them for their accomplishments. Thanks Gopher fans for lowering the sportsmanship bar so even I could clear it!

Honestly no, I haven;t seen them all. But Lammy is among the biggest showboating goalies I've seen in 35 years of watching hockey at every level. So I guessed it was a safe asusmption. Perhaps he's just among the top 10 this season, who also happend to be the top ten of all time.

To say he's not a showboat, and to make excuses is not being honest. And I didn't rip him for showboating. I just pointed out he did and said I was fine with it.

Honestly no, I haven;t seen them all. But Lammy is among the biggest showboating goalies I've seen in 35 years of watching hockey at every level. So I guessed it was a safe asusmption. Perhaps he's just among the top 10 this season, who also happend to be the top ten of all time.

To say he's not a showboat, and to make excuses is not being honest. And I didn't rip him for showboating. I just pointed out he did and said I was fine with it.

You completely ignore possible reasons for his behavior given by me and others. Now, I admit I don't know for sure why he does what he does, but how can you know so much better than me? Why are the reasons I or PCM gave not valid? Let's hear what you have to say...

I think part of the Gopher fans' disdain for glove flashing comes from Woog and Mazzaoco, who started making a big deal of it with Karl Goehring and have continued to make a big deal of it for every Sioux goalie since. With them, it's like the phantom assists and getting out of the penalty box myths they continue to peddle about the Sioux and Grand Forks. They repeat it so much that Gopher fans get brainwashed into thinking that it should bother them, too.

Personally, glove flashing doesn't bother me, nor does the jersey pop. I don't mind seeing a player celebrate when he does something good as long as it's not excessive.

I guess you weren't at the Ralph last year when Chorney "popped his jersey" after he scored against the Gophers. What Irmen and Wheeler did might not have been classy but they are not the only ones that do it.