SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey's Future Top Prospects Spring 2007

farce poobah

They posted #26-50 today:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9502

27. T.J. Oshie, C - St. Louis Blues

Oshie is a sophomore with the North Dakota Fighting Sioux where he is among the most valuable players in all of college hockey. He posted an impressive 24 goals and 21 assists in 43 games in his freshman season and has 13 goals and 28 assists in 38 games this year. Oshie also had a very impressive performance at the 2006 WJC in Vancouver and is looking like a prime candidate to leave school early for a pro career. The Blues will likely attempt to sign the college star in the offseason. Oshie is a smart, intense, highly-skilled center who could play in a top-six role in the NHL.

They posted #26-50 today:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9502

27. T.J. Oshie, C - St. Louis Blues

Oshie is a sophomore with the North Dakota Fighting Sioux where he is among the most valuable players in all of college hockey. He posted an impressive 24 goals and 21 assists in 43 games in his freshman season and has 13 goals and 28 assists in 38 games this year. Oshie also had a very impressive performance at the 2006 WJC in Vancouver and is looking like a prime candidate to leave school early for a pro career. The Blues will likely attempt to sign the college star in the offseason. Oshie is a smart, intense, highly-skilled center who could play in a top-six role in the NHL.

Noooooooooooooooooooo............

I heard that his dad was saying he was going to stay at least 3 years. But...it could be a ploy for St. Louis to come after him even stronger and offer a better contract maybe.

Who knows...

He'll get the rookie max contract............there is no wiggle room on either side.

I have heard from his father that TJ will stay another year...

That being said however, I don't know how easy it will be for young man of such talent and promise to turn down a contract when it is offered April 8 in St. Louis. I mean, when the contract is sitting there on the table and all one has to do is pick up the Mont Blanc...

I hope

I remember reading something about Toews having an insurance policy when he came here.

I'm sure most if not all of our NHL draftees have some type of an insurance policy. It's a pretty normal thing now for NHL draftees in college. However, I'm sure insurance policies aren't part of the dream that these young kids have. Where I would love Toews to stay, I think he's done all he thought he could do at the college level, and the best choice for his development would probably be to go pro. Hopefully that's straight to the NHL, but even if he goes to the AHL, it's still a higher level of hockey than college.

Where I would love Toews to stay, I think he's done all he thought he could do at the college level, and the best choice for his development would probably be to go pro. Hopefully that's straight to the NHL, but even if he goes to the AHL, it's still a higher level of hockey than college.

Done all he can do at the college level? MacNaughton Cup, NCAA Championship, Hobey Baker, Hrkac's single season scoring record... Toews has work to do, my friend. ;)

You know, just once I'd love to hear a great player say, "I'm coming back next year because I love the tradition of Fighting Sioux hockey. I want to help UND win another National Championship, and I'm not leaving until I do."

Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors... help us out here. :angry:

Done all he can do at the college level? MacNaughton Cup, NCAA Championship, Hobey Baker, Hrkac's single season scoring record... Toews has work to do, my friend. ;)

You know, just once I'd love to hear a great player say, "I'm coming back next year because I love the tradition of Fighting Sioux hockey. I want to help UND win another National Championship, and I'm not leaving until I do."

Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors... help us out here. :angry:

All of these things are team awards, and one man can't do it all himself. Yes, I do believe the Hobey is a team award as well. My example here is Brian Elliott. Last year, a top 3 finalist. This year, he's still the backbone to the team, and still someone who I see going on to bigger and brighter things in the NHL. Hobey winners go to players who have strong supporting cast members. Not to say Jonny wouldn't have that, but it is a team award. The clutching and grabbing that is allowed night after night will probably be one of the main reasons he leaves after this year...that and the opportunity to further his game/career at the next level. Why put yourself through another year of being mobbed by less talented teams/players, when you could go to a higher level of hockey where they won't allow that to go on as much. Don't know if you watch the new NHL, but it certainly doesn't allow half the junk that our beloved WCHA allows to go on. Toews is a smart kid, and he'll recognize that it's time to move on. Regardless of how much we all want him to come back. I too would love to see the players stay because of the tradition, but that's not what our program is about. Hrkac triumphed in college, but most will say flopped in the NHL. Should he have stayed? Probably, but everyone knew he was gone.

He'll get the rookie max contract............there is no wiggle room on either side.

exactly, and he will do whats best for HIM, and he should. its not like his family can come out and say YEAH, TJ IS OUTA HERE AFTER HIS 2ND YEAR, we will see what happens very soon, lets hope its after #8

i think people get caught up in thinking that every player dreams of playing for, and winning a championship with und. once they get here it is a dream, but it wasnt before. all these player are using und for a stepping stone to the next level. if oshie stays for another year its because he feels it is best for his development, not because he is staying until he wins a championship. the same goes for toews. that said i think toews is the only player und will lose to pros this year, although there are 3 or 4 others that very well may get offers too(but i think they will stay...i hope).

I read an article in ESPN the magazine a few years back about guys leaving college early to go pro. It came out soon after Matt Leinert decided to stay at USC for his senior year. Every football player interviewed had left college early to play in the NFL and they all wished they had stuck around at college for at least another year. It wasn't that they didn't think they were ready for the NFL, it was more that they thought the pro experience was a lot less fun than college. They left an atmosphere of team spirit and camaraderie for a job.

I certainly undertand our boys wanting to leave early for a big paycheck but I wonder if their experience will match those of the football players in the article?

I read an article in ESPN the magazine a few years back about guys leaving college early to go pro. It came out soon after Matt Leinert decided to stay at USC for his senior year. Every football player interviewed had left college early to play in the NFL and they all wished they had stuck around at college for at least another year. It wasn't that they didn't think they were ready for the NFL, it was more that they thought the pro experience was a lot less fun than college. They left an atmosphere of team spirit and camaraderie for a job.

I certainly undertand our boys wanting to leave early for a big paycheck but I wonder if their experience will match those of the football players in the article?

The college hockey players I've heard talk about this subject say pretty much the same thing as those interviewed. The camaraderie/friendships is probably even bigger than the team spirit issue, or at least that's how I interpreted it. Various players have stated that once you get to the NHL, it's a business, and guys have families to go home to. They never seem to form the closeness that is formed during their college days.

i think people get caught up in thinking that every player dreams of playing for, and winning a championship with und. once they get here it is a dream, but it wasnt before. all these player are using und for a stepping stone to the next level. if oshie stays for another year its because he feels it is best for his development, not because he is staying until he wins a championship. the same goes for toews. that said i think toews is the only player und will lose to pros this year, although there are 3 or 4 others that very well may get offers too(but i think they will stay...i hope).

Haven't you ever seen Miracle? Apparently Jack O'Callahan played college hockey to win a National Championship. ;):angry:

It's easy to say you wish you had stayed one more year when you've got the big paycheck safely in the bank. Although I hate to see some of these guys leave when they do, how can you blame them? That payday is not guarenteed to anyone.