SiouxSports.com Forum

Do you care if UND ever plays NDSU again?

CMSioux

One trip to the "Big Dance" in basketball would be bigger than any national exposure from a hcokey national championship the Sioux or any hockey team would get. I'd be willing to bet the Mid Con Final on ESPN this week had higher ratings than the Frozen Four last year.

Please, let's not bite on this.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One trip to the "Big Dance" in basketball would be bigger than any national exposure from a hcokey national championship the Sioux or any hockey team would get. I'd be willing to bet the Mid Con Final on ESPN this week had higher ratings than the Frozen Four last year.

If it did, people have their priorities backwards.

A- It's not fair to compare a sport that is played in relatively the Northern half of a country compared to a sport that is played across all the states. Obviously, there are more people that follow basketball because basketball is played anywhere, unlike hockey.

B- You're going to bet that the Mid-Con Final between Oakland and Oral Roberts received higher ratings on ESPN than the Frozen Four Championship Game between Wisconsin and Boston College last year? Conference Title vs. National Title? Hmmm....I'll take the bet. Wisconsin-BC on prime time (in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I might add) vs. Oakland and Oral Roberts(In Tulsa). I know Oral Roberts is located in Tulsa, but I'll still take your bet.

C- It amazes me the people that bash the sport of hockey. It's scary that because NDSU doesn't have a team some posters decide to continually knock UND's down. The reason it's bashed so frequently IMO is the people bashing have such a lack of knowledge and/or passion for the game.

I would be happy to start playing the Bison again. With records like these, who wouldn't??

Football

62-45-3 in favor of the Sioux

Men's Basketball

158-128 in favor of the Sioux

Women's Basketball

40-33 in favor of the Sioux

Baseball

89-60 in favor of the Sioux

Time to pull out an oldie but a goodie from the archives regarding the "rivalry"

I remember the last few games in "the rivalry as well"!!, led me to post this on bisonville in April 2004...some of my best work I think!:D

Part 1

Mid-August

In Attendance;

Gene Taylor, Lynn Dorn, President Chapman, Coach Miles, Coach Bohl, Coach Ruley, Coach McLeod.

Gene Taylor "I called you all here to discuss the upcoming seasons and our pending move to Division 1!!! We need to shed as positive a light on this as possible, there are plenty of naysayers out their who would like to believe that our move to Division 1 is not a good one. They say that the funds won't be there, they say the talent won't be there, they say the facilities are not all up to par, they say the fan support won't be there, and they also say that we haven't really done jack in D2 over the last few years and that we are arrogant for making this move. That is why we are having this discussion today and why it is imperative that your teams accomplish 3 little things this season. Number 3, you must qualify for postseason play in D2 so that we can show everyone that we really are too good for this level, Number 2, at least one of you better bring home a National Title so we can show our D2 brethern that we are doing them a favor by moving so they won't have to deal with our imagined sheer dominance of this division, and most importantly, and I cannot stress the importance of this enough...since we will not be playing UND anymore in most sports, it it incredibly important that we defeat the Sioux in our final games in these rivalry games....NO EXCEPTIONS!!! We will revisit this discusion or mandate if you want to call it that in May. That is all. Good Luck and remember Bison Pride!!!"

Part 2

Late May

In attendance;

Gene Taylor, Lynn Dorn, and President Chapman seated on one side of a large table with a 4th unidentified person sitting in a large black chair with his back to the table. Also present on the other side of the table Coach Ruley, Coach Bohl, Coach Mcleod, and Coach Miles.

GT: "We are here to revisit our discussions from August. If you all remember I set very achievable goals for you all back then. So lets review. Coach Miles, how did we do on our goals this season?

CM: "Well we did not make the NCAA postseason, we did not even sniff a national title, and we lost to the Sioux in the final game of the rivalry."

GT loosens his tie: "Well I hope it gets better from there." "Coach Bohl can you recap the season for me?"

CB: "We beat Montana!!!"

GT: " Was that one of our goals? I don't seem to remember that one. Anything else?"

CB: "We freakin beat Montana!!!!!"

GT: "Do I have to remind you of our MANDATES for a successful season?"

CB: "Well we did not make the playoffs, we did not even get a sniff of postseason and we lost to the Sioux. But did I mention that we beat Montana?"

GT is now obviously upset, his face is getting red and he undoes one of his shirt buttons, " Coach Ruley, you have always carried this athletic program, please tell me something pleasing to my ears."

CR: "WE did make the NCAA postseason!!, we really did not get anywhere near a national title and we beat the Sioux twice!!"

GT: "Well that is a little better, but we of course did not really have anywhere to go but up though, did we? So we beat the Sioux both times we played them this year, that is great!"

CR: "Yes Sir"

CB: "But Mister Taylor they played the Sioux more than twice this year."

CR: "Shut up baldy"

GT: "Amy is this true"

CR: "Well, yeah I guess so"

GT: "But we beat them the last time we played them, ...right?"

CR: "Not exactly, they beat us for the NCC Title on our home court, but as I told anyone who would listen, that was a meaningless game. Really, I mean sure it was the last time we would play them in Fargo on our home court, but it really did not matter."

GT: "OK, OK, so you beat them 2 out of 3 times then, only losing a meaningless NCC title tilt on our home court?

CR: "Yep, we beat them 2 out of 3 times."

Lynn Dorn: "Mister Taylor, they played 4 times"

CR: "et tu Lynn"

GT: "I want the truth"

President Chapman "under his breath" "you can't handle the truth"

GT: "What?"

PC: "Nothing"

CR: "Well OK we lost one more time which I guess was the last game we played the Sioux, the last time we played in D2, and it ended our season, but it really was not that important of a game"

GT: "This is unfu#$ingbelievable". Coach Mcleod can you save the day?

CM: "We might make the postseason, a national title is pretty unrealistic, and we did lose our final game at home to the Sioux."

GT: "Well, you played them 4 times right? So I assume you won the first 3 and they got lucky and stole one from you, it's baseball, it happens"

CM: "Yep, we played them 4 times"

GT: "Good, good, nice job then"

AR: "Not so fast Mitch"

GT: "Am I missing something?"

A long pause

GT: "Coach Mcleod? Do you have s#!t in your ears"

CM: "No sir. We actually lost all 4 games to the Sioux this season"

GT: "Well thats just fu#$ing great, just Fu$%ing great"

The coaches in unison: "We tried, they are just too good, at least we won't have to play them anymore!!"

GT: "People, I really did not want it to come to this, but I don't know where to go from here, as a wise man once said "You can't make chicken out of chicken soup" I would now like to turn this meeting over to......"

The chair that had been facing away from the table turns around to reveal......................................... Donald Trump!!!! Someone is going to get Fired over this.

If NDSU were to qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament someday... and that is a mighty big IF...

but for the sake of discusssion, I'm sure NDSU basketball would get noticed more than UND hockey by people in the Carolinas. Here in North Dakota the UND hockey team would still be the lead story unless NDSU were to actually win a game or two in the tournament. Now, with that thought in mind, it is likely they would be a 15 or 16 seed and get destroyed in the 1st round if they ever get that far... which like I already stated is a very big IF.

Yes, ESPN force feeds college hoops to America and Americans eat it up because most of them don't know any better. I get that. However, right here in our home state we have one college hockey team that outdraws two college basketball teams combined by a substantial margin. UND is more popular than NDSU within the state of North Dakota because of hockey, but if NDSU's goal is to have their name recognized by people halfway across the country because of a sport that is secondary in our state... well, they have their priorities out of whack.

Dave, at some point, UND will be in a conference with an auto bid, and they will make the tournament. So will NDSU. That's not a big if. It's an inevitability. And yes, they are likely to get beat badly. But stop with the "ESPN force feeds hoops" baloney. The country doesn't lose 260 million in productivity at work in the first two days of the tournament, and an estimated 1.2 billion overall (Challenger, Gray, & Christmas, Inc. research) because they are forced to. In addition, CBS broadcasts the tournament, not ESPN. And considering the last contract ending in '02 was for 1.7 billion, I'd guess the new one is well over 2 billion. Someone is watching, and ESPN isn't making them do it.

But if they think they have "moved on" I wish their fans would stop being so interested in what we're doing.

Some of us have relatives, friends, kids of friends and hometown athletes attending UND and yes participating in UND sports. I always wish them well when playing for UND.

Logistics aren't there to start a new rivalry, conference and schedule-wise.

I would be happy to start playing the Bison again. With records like these, who wouldn't??

Football

62-45-3 in favor of the Sioux

Men's Basketball

158-128 in favor of the Sioux

Women's Basketball

40-33 in favor of the Sioux

Baseball

89-60 in favor of the Sioux

Time to pull out an oldie but a goodie from the archives regarding the "rivalry"

I remember the last few games in "the rivalry as well"!!, led me to post this on bisonville in April 2004...some of my best work I think!;)

Part 1

Mid-August

In Attendance;

Gene Taylor, Lynn Dorn, President Chapman, Coach Miles, Coach Bohl, Coach Ruley, Coach McLeod.

Gene Taylor "I called you all here to discuss the upcoming seasons and our pending move to Division 1!!! We need to shed as positive a light on this as possible, there are plenty of naysayers out their who would like to believe that our move to Division 1 is not a good one. They say that the funds won't be there, they say the talent won't be there, they say the facilities are not all up to par, they say the fan support won't be there, and they also say that we haven't really done jack in D2 over the last few years and that we are arrogant for making this move. That is why we are having this discussion today and why it is imperative that your teams accomplish 3 little things this season. Number 3, you must qualify for postseason play in D2 so that we can show everyone that we really are too good for this level, Number 2, at least one of you better bring home a National Title so we can show our D2 brethern that we are doing them a favor by moving so they won't have to deal with our imagined sheer dominance of this division, and most importantly, and I cannot stress the importance of this enough...since we will not be playing UND anymore in most sports, it it incredibly important that we defeat the Sioux in our final games in these rivalry games....NO EXCEPTIONS!!! We will revisit this discusion or mandate if you want to call it that in May. That is all. Good Luck and remember Bison Pride!!!"

Part 2

Late May

In attendance;

Gene Taylor, Lynn Dorn, and President Chapman seated on one side of a large table with a 4th unidentified person sitting in a large black chair with his back to the table. Also present on the other side of the table Coach Ruley, Coach Bohl, Coach Mcleod, and Coach Miles.

GT: "We are here to revisit our discussions from August. If you all remember I set very achievable goals for you all back then. So lets review. Coach Miles, how did we do on our goals this season?

CM: "Well we did not make the NCAA postseason, we did not even sniff a national title, and we lost to the Sioux in the final game of the rivalry."

GT loosens his tie: "Well I hope it gets better from there." "Coach Bohl can you recap the season for me?"

CB: "We beat Montana!!!"

GT: " Was that one of our goals? I don't seem to remember that one. Anything else?"

CB: "We freakin beat Montana!!!!!"

GT: "Do I have to remind you of our MANDATES for a successful season?"

CB: "Well we did not make the playoffs, we did not even get a sniff of postseason and we lost to the Sioux. But did I mention that we beat Montana?"

GT is now obviously upset, his face is getting red and he undoes one of his shirt buttons, " Coach Ruley, you have always carried this athletic program, please tell me something pleasing to my ears."

CR: "WE did make the NCAA postseason!!, we really did not get anywhere near a national title and we beat the Sioux twice!!"

GT: "Well that is a little better, but we of course did not really have anywhere to go but up though, did we? So we beat the Sioux both times we played them this year, that is great!"

CR: "Yes Sir"

CB: "But Mister Taylor they played the Sioux more than twice this year."

CR: "Shut up baldy"

GT: "Amy is this true"

CR: "Well, yeah I guess so"

GT: "But we beat them the last time we played them, ...right?"

CR: "Not exactly, they beat us for the NCC Title on our home court, but as I told anyone who would listen, that was a meaningless game. Really, I mean sure it was the last time we would play them in Fargo on our home court, but it really did not matter."

GT: "OK, OK, so you beat them 2 out of 3 times then, only losing a meaningless NCC title tilt on our home court?

CR: "Yep, we beat them 2 out of 3 times."

Lynn Dorn: "Mister Taylor, they played 4 times"

CR: "et tu Lynn"

GT: "I want the truth"

President Chapman "under his breath" "you can't handle the truth"

GT: "What?"

PC: "Nothing"

CR: "Well OK we lost one more time which I guess was the last game we played the Sioux, the last time we played in D2, and it ended our season, but it really was not that important of a game"

GT: "This is unfu#$ingbelievable". Coach Mcleod can you save the day?

CM: "We might make the postseason, a national title is pretty unrealistic, and we did lose our final game at home to the Sioux."

GT: "Well, you played them 4 times right? So I assume you won the first 3 and they got lucky and stole one from you, it's baseball, it happens"

CM: "Yep, we played them 4 times"

GT: "Good, good, nice job then"

AR: "Not so fast Mitch"

GT: "Am I missing something?"

A long pause

GT: "Coach Mcleod? Do you have s#!t in your ears"

CM: "No sir. We actually lost all 4 games to the Sioux this season"

GT: "Well thats just fu#$ing great, just Fu$%ing great"

The coaches in unison: "We tried, they are just too good, at least we won't have to play them anymore!!"

GT: "People, I really did not want it to come to this, but I don't know where to go from here, as a wise man once said "You can't make chicken out of chicken soup" I would now like to turn this meeting over to......"

The chair that had been facing away from the table turns around to reveal......................................... Donald Trump!!!! Someone is going to get Fired over this.

An all-time classic... :D

I want the Sioux and the Bison to play again.

I'd like the first game to be played in Memorial Stadium or Dakota Field......and who cares if it's standing room only. Screw bleachers, who needs them?

I want the tailgating back before the games.

I want to rush the field and rip down the goalpost when the Sioux win.

This might all be wishful thinking, but it makes me smile, so there.

I stand by my "ESPN force feeds college hoops" statement. The reason that tournament is so popular is because it is so heavily promoted and marketed. Yes, some people would love it anyways even if it got no promotion whatsoever just like the college hockey tournament. But my point is that a lot of casual fans out there watch only what is heavily promoted by ESPN and other major media outlets. I understand CBS broadcasts the tournament, but ESPN spends the majority of SportsCenter covering college hoops this time of year. Basketball and hockey both have their hardcore fans that love the sport, but basketball also has the casual fans thanks to the sport being overhyped and overpromoted by American media.

College basketball was big back in the 1960's and before. When did ESPN start?

How many high school hockey teams were there in the 1960's? As an example the Minnesota High School basketball tourney started around the 1910's, High School hockey tourney started in 1945. Every school in St Paul used to have a hockey team, now there are not many left.

It has a lot to do with who played basketball, or was a basketball fan in high school. Usually leads to them being a fan of college basketball or hockey. A majority of the country doesn't have access to ice skating facilities, and a group of them won't have the money to participate. The only hockey most people ever see is on TV. There is a basketball court in practically every neighborhood in America.

Although I understand they will both someday be in a conference with an autobid, but to assume that it is inevitable that one and/or both will someday earn that autobid is pretty optimistic if you ask me. I won't be completely shocked if it happens someday, but I'm not going to count that chicken before it hatches. There's also a very good chance they could both end up being bottom feeders in D1 basketball. Time will tell. Granted, a lot of teams get into that tournament. But a lot of schools have basketball programs. You still have to be pretty good to get in. They may or may not get into that tournament someday, but like I already said it won't get them too much attention if they're one and done.

I stand by my "ESPN force feeds college hoops" statement. The reason that tournament is so popular is because it is so heavily promoted and marketed. Yes, some people would love it anyways even if it got no promotion whatsoever just like the college hockey tournament. But my point is that a lot of casual fans out there watch only what is heavily promoted by ESPN and other major media outlets. I understand CBS broadcasts the tournament, but ESPN spends the majority of SportsCenter covering college hoops this time of year. Basketball and hockey both have their hardcore fans that love the sport, but basketball also has the casual fans thanks to the sport being overhyped and overpromoted by American media.

Considering every current member of the Missouri Valley has made the big dance (source:Mike Kern Associate commissioner MVC) you don't really have to be much of an optimist to expect that, at some point, the Sioux and/or Bison will as well.

I want the Sioux and the Bison to play again.

I'd like the first game to be played in Memorial Stadium or Dakota Field......and who cares if it's standing room only. Screw bleachers, who needs them?

I want the tailgating back before the games.

I want to rush the field and rip down the goalpost when the Sioux win.

This might all be wishful thinking, but it makes me smile, so there.

Will Mike Mooney be there to strip the ball from that Bison punk and take it to the house? If not...he should be.

What do you think? Would it bother you if UND never played the Bi-son again?

I say no it would not bother me. We own the trophy and we own the won/lost record and there is nothing that will ever change that.

For all the rhetoric we hear about the Bi-son moving on, many of them appear to be unable to do that they need to put the Sioux down in order to make themselves feel superior.

Message to Bi-Sons PLEASE mooooove on. You've got the rivalry with the Jackrabbits now so start monitoring their website and pestering them with your drival about tradition, etc. You've got more in common with them anyway they have cows on campus too.

We should never play NDSU again. They moved up to DI without us. They deserve what they've gotten. They think that there football team is better than us.

Yes I think we should play the Bison. I miss the rivalry. More importantly though, I miss all the hype from the Bison fans leading up to the game and then their let down after we smoke them.

Especially, I love beating them at their own game. Imagine how we would feel if they ever developed a DI hockey program and started beating us?

Considering every current member of the Missouri Valley has made the big dance (source:Mike Kern Associate commissioner MVC) you don't really have to be much of an optimist to expect that, at some point, the Sioux and/or Bison will as well.

update: Big Sky-Only Sac State, Portland State, and Northern Colorado have not made the tournament. UNC isn't eligible yet, and the other two began their D-I teams in '96-'97.

There is a lot of talk happening on the UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU boards about restarting rivalries, when that should happen, etc.

The overriding theme is the SU's do not want to play their respective U's, they have moved on, they are in the prestigious Gateway while we are just starting transition"hell", that they don't need us...yet they can't stop talking about us or the rivalry, even if just to say they don't want to play. Why keep beating a dead horse and be so emphatic about not playing and not caring if you really don't care. Truth is, they do. They want to see it. Given enough time, it will happen, each state's populace will dictate that it happen. Sellout game, little travel, only a moron would believe that game wouldn't take place again sometime.

Until that day comes, who cares about them? Not me. I am much more excited with USD's rivalry with the Sioux (bring back Sitting Bull!!!) than I am with SDSU. You guys are good. You have a winning, championship program. That is something SDSU hasn't had in like 40 years. Besides, the last two years, each of our teams would have kicked the crap out of the Jacks anyways. It's fun fighting for conference titles with the Sioux. It's fun winning that game. The North and South U's have a good thing going through transition, a rivalry that doesn't need to be manufactured. Was it each of our respective schools primary rivalry? No. But the heat has been turned up on it as of late.

So I say, who needs the SU's? We certainly don't. It would be fun, but we don't NEED them.

We'll see you guys November 10th down in Vermillion. I fully expect that game will be for the LAST NCC FOOTBALL TITLE EVER, and I fully expect my Coyotes to win that game and bring home the title...and the bragging rights.

Til then...Go Yotes.

And the dissent to full fledged smack thread is complete. :silly:

Really, a very worthy topic to even discuss. Only Moses could have predicted that this would turn into a smack thread. LOL.

I've been saying that for awhile. Why do UND fans just keep going on about this? If you want to beat someone up about this, go bitch at Roger Thomas. He started it and then left. NDSU isn't going to give in, so why make fools out of ourselves over it. I hate to think about how much complaining there is going to be if we don't get into the first conference we audition for, besides the GWFC.

Why do UND fans just keep going on about this? If you want to beat someone up about this, go bitch at Roger Thomas. He started it and then left. NDSU isn't going to give in, so why make fools out of ourselves over it. I hate to think about how much complaining there is going to be if we don't get into the first conference we audition for, besides the GWFC.

Not to pick on you, specifically, why do so many people make posts telling other people what they shouldn't be posting about? If you don't want to discuss a particular topic, the threading system is great for helping you avoid it. Why tell other people they shouldn't discuss a topic because you're sick of it?

A huge number of UND and NDSU fans are anxious for this game to resume, so the question of when is going to continue to come up until it's scheduled. At least it's in a well-named, independent thread.

I can't find any numbers for the Mid-Con championship, but the 1st round games in March Madness last year pulled in mostly 7 and 8 ratings while the highest ratings for the hockey championship are in the 0.5 to 0.9 range.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/ice_ho...mentHistory.pdf

BTW, I'd love to see the Bison-Sioux rivalry start up again. If we end up in different conferences, it would make for one exiting season opener.

I can't find any numbers for the Mid-Con championship, but the 1st round games in March Madness last year pulled in mostly 7 and 8 ratings while the highest ratings for the hockey championship are in the 0.5 to 0.9 range.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/ice_ho...mentHistory.pdf

BTW, I'd love to see the Bison-Sioux rivalry start up again. If we end up in different conferences, it would make for one exiting season opener.

You can't compare an entire day of basketball games(16 games on Thursday and Friday) to 1 game of hockey. Where's the logic?

Wasn't sure where to post it, so I thought this was the best fitting thread. To good not to post though.

My nephew (a Sioux fan) who lives in Fargo gets invited over to a friends house to play for the first time. It was on a Friday night, so obviously, my nephew's wearing his Sioux gear. Turns out, the friend he's visiting is NDSU's Athletic Director, Gene Taylor's son. Nothing like supporting your team on enemy grounds! :lol:

Wasn't sure where to post it, so I thought this was the best fitting thread. To good not to post though.

My nephew (a Sioux fan) who lives in Fargo gets invited over to a friends house to play for the first time. It was on a Friday night, so obviously, my nephew's wearing his Sioux gear. Turns out, the friend he's visiting is NDSU's Athletic Director, Gene Taylor's son. Nothing like supporting your team on enemy grounds! :lol:

Did they whip up some popcorn and watch the Sioux on the FSSN together?