SiouxSports.com Forum

Prpich

pantherfan

One man's opinion: Best surprise of the season.

Overall: 36 games, 7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points, 18 penalties (36 minutes), 1 PPG

Conference: 28 games, 7 goals, 5 assist, 12 points, 13 penalties (26 minutes), 1 PPG

Making the line-up for all 28 conference games is impressive for a freshman. Last weekend he played up front on the number one PP. I think he's becoming a fan favorite with his "what's slow down mean?" style and general toughness.

I love to watch Mike play he plays hard and finishes his checks and can shoot the puck

Have a great playoff season Mike.

Good Luck and have fun.. Oh yeah the Pioneers knocked one of your teeth out just in case you forgot...

Let's Go Sioux!!!!

Overall I think that Mike had a pretty good year, played solid hockey consistently.

My guess is that he will have a solid carrer with the Sioux as a physical forward. Maybe similar to Ryan Hale(?) with a little more scoring in a few years.

One of my favorite players this year overall. he's a gritty player, something the Sioux could use more of with their forwards. his goals and assists come as a result of hard work in the corners. i think he'll become more of a goal scorer in his next few years. i'm glad we got him.

One man's opinion: Best surprise of the season.

Overall: 36 games, 7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points, 18 penalties (36 minutes), 1 PPG

Conference: 28 games, 7 goals, 5 assist, 12 points, 13 penalties (26 minutes), 1 PPG

Making the line-up for all 28 conference games is impressive for a freshman. Last weekend he played up front on the number one PP. I think he's becoming a fan favorite with his "what's slow down mean?" style and general toughness.

A second man's opinion: I second that!

I love Prpich. Possibly my favorite freshman. I love his attitude. He works hard, and he's a bit feisty. I was one who questioned all his penalty minutes in juniors but he has shown he can play smart up in D1. He's got skills and I believe he will continue to score. Great find.

I'll bet he's captain material too...

One of my favorite things about Prpich is watching him get under other another player's skin. For some reason guys are always wanting to fight him, and Mike just laughs in his face like it would be a waste of his time. ;) He's definitely a hard worker, and an excellent late addition to the team.

I'll bet he's captain material too...

I've been mentioning this since the first weekend I saw the Sioux this season. The last captain I remember that had that gritty, get-under-your-skin kind of attitude was... Dave Hakstol. ;)

He also looks to me like he loves the game every time he touches the ice. Reminds me of Matt Henderson in that respect.

It will be fun to watch him over the rest of this year and the years to come.

The Green Hair'um, prefers the name "wheels" instead of Prpich for two reasons:

A: He is faster than hell and hard working.

B: He needs to buy a vowel

Other than that, he is one of the best additions to the Sioux this year. What a great find, and hopefully, it will continue to be that way!!!! ;):D

Having seen his penalty minutes from the BCHL, I thought "The Prp," short for "Prp-etrator," (the guilty one) would be a better tag. :D

Now seeing him play, and looking in Websters which defines perpetrator as 'the one who accomplishes and does,' it still fits, and maybe better. ;)

I've been saying for quite some time that Prpich is slowly becoming my favorite player on the team. I really enjoy watching guys who work really hard, are physical, and have the ability to score. And there's just something I like about his on-ice attitude. It was tough as a fan to lose Bayda early, but Prpich has really softened the blow.

I think Prpich's situation just goes to show what an inexact science recruiting is. He wasn't signed until Bayda went pro, which was fairly late, (late April-early May?) and nobody had gobbled him up yet? I obviously don't know his whole story, but I can't believe nobody had him signed already.....and I sure am glad nobody did. ;)

I was excited to see pantherfan's question about one of my favorite three players, then disappointed to see everybody beat me to the answer! The observations appear very consistent. Nonetheless, I have this weird urge to readdress the question.

Like others, I was astounded and a little scared by his PIM last year (4.19 per game, I heard). However, he has proven to have a very cool head. After the whistle, he sometimes takes pushes to the face with his arms at his side--unfortunately, hasn't been rewarded by the refs for that yet. He seems to get under the skin because he isn't visibly chippy but guys always seem frustrated with him. On replays, he's always got a big grin while mucking it up.

When Bayda's name came up near the end of the thread, it ocurred to me that his resemblance to Bayda is becoming more than just the sweater number 19. I think he has the potential to work and score like Bayda, but has more character and speed. I agree with captain predictions, and I think he will be a double-digit goal-scorer soon, too.

pantherfan, I'm guessing you got the answer you wanted.

pantherfan:

The highly recruited and regarded Gabe Gauthier of DU (played somewhere in the BCHL last season and was a scoring leader out there), has fewer goals and fewer points in the same number of league games in comparison to Prpich. (I hope I didn't curse us this weekend with that one.)

I must admit, when Prpichs name came up in the off season, I didn't think much of it......early signs led me to believe he'd be a player who was in and out of the line up at best. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! I love his grit, and in your face attitude.....rumor has it he skated in front of Mankato's box a couple weekends ago and told Jutting to send out any player and he would take them on......!

Should be a good player for years to come.......let's not compare him to Bayda yet though, not a good comparison in my opinion! ;)

Boy, do I really like to watch Mike Prpich play hockey. He would have to be my favorite player on the team this year. Mike seems to be the hardest working player on the ice very shift. His physical play really impresses me.

I agree on the Bayda comparison. Prpich may have us confused in a year or 2 but for freshman accomplishments Ryan has outshown Mike offensively. Both guys play a physical game. Both have decent size and can skate pretty well. Bayda is awesome on the boards and I have been impressed with Prpich there as well. But Bayda scored a whole lot more. I think Prpich has that ability, and maybe consistently playing on a more scoring centered line would help that out. Bayda was on a top line his whole freshman year. Jeez he was good. I remember the crushing hit behind the Badger bench on Friday afternoon at the Final Five in 2000 his freshman year. About the first minute of the game, I think. The Badgers were done already that day. But I digress.

Prpich is an instigator, I think. In an interview I saw with him (very articulate kid, BTW), he mentioned that he likes to jaw a bit on the ice, but tries to be smart about it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments...I had the pleasure of watching Mike in junior and each year showed that he had the talent and drive to go to the next level. I was thrilled when he committed to N.Dakota because he earned it and am happy to hear he is doing great and is so well received. He was & always will be my fav player ;)

Once again thanks!!