SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Bulldogs

AZSIOUX

Nevermind, I see Goon is hard on all goalies - even his own team's! :sad::angry:

I just thought you were a little hard on your defense. I watched them for two games last weekend and I wouldn't blame them for the goals.

Like someone said at the Bantam game at Purpur yesterday, its a team game.

The think that frustrated me is the number of people that get the slightest bit offended when someone questions St. Phil, honestly if I had to compare him to any of our goalies I would put him behind Brandt. I am also not sure how he got to be a saint either. I am little worried after Saturday's game.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought you were a little hard on your defense. I watched them for two games last weekend and I wouldn't blame them for the goals.

Like someone said at the Bantam game at Purpur yesterday, its a team game.

The think that frustrated me is the number of people that get the slightest bit offended when someone questions St. Phil, honestly if I had to compare him to any of our goalies I would put him behind Brandt. I am also not sure how he got to be a saint either. I am little worried after Saturday's game.

I am sorry Goon. I did not mean that I was offended. The only reason, I defend him is because it has got to be hard to a goalie and I don't think people should blame every little slip of the glove on him. He isn't a saint and you are right, some goals are his fault, but right now he is our number one goalie so I gotta go with him.

I am sorry Goon. I did not mean that I was offended. The only reason, I defend him is because it has got to be hard to a goalie and I don't think people should blame every little slip of the glove on him. He isn't a saint and you are right, some goals are his fault, but right now he is our number one goalie so I gotta go with him.

You know me, I don't hate him nor anyone. I just don't get the fascination with Phil and how people pounce the minute someone brings up a point that isn't flattering.

Critical analysis is good and healthy. Everyday I get my wife telling me what I have did wrong for the day. I get a lot of critical analysis.

You know me, I don't hate him nor anyone. I just don't get the fascination with Phil and how people pounce the minute someone brings up a point that isn't flattering.

Critical analysis is good and healthy. Everyday I get my wife telling me what I have did wrong for the day. I get a lot of critical analysis.

Shouldn't that be done?

Oh, wait...nevermind...I'm not your wife.

:sad:;):angry:

woopty doo. sorry, only care about the pairwise rankings which are the only rankings that matter :angry:

I am quite sure, I well suspect, that it is the Pairwise that SFiD is referencing. T'wasn't long ago the Sioux

were outside of the top ten on the Pairwise.

Will be again if the wins do not keep coming. One game at a time. See y'all at The Arch.

Brandt is a great guy, and was a rock solid goalie. Some forget that he was the bus driver on the Road to Columbus.

Anyone notice how Phil has been playing much better since he got that haircut that I had been long advocating on this board?

I am quite sure, I well suspect, that it is the Pairwise that SFiD is referencing. T'wasn't long ago the Sioux

were outside of the top ten on the Pairwise.

Will be again if the wins do not keep coming. One game at a time. See y'all at The Arch.

i think he meant the regular polls as we have been top 10 in the pairwise for a few weeks now and been 11 or 12 in the polls. whatever, we are playing great and the more wins the more we move up in the pairwise.

I don't think anyone wants to bestow sainthood on him. I think some of us question why "St. Phil" gets blamed for everything bad that happens to this team, while Anthony Greico (who is nothing special at this point in his career) gets a free ride from some people on this forum.

People talk about Greico taking us to St. Louis; I think Greico has a better chance of being the next Josh Sievebieda than the next Aaron Schweitzer. Of course, I used to think Jordan Parise was average at best, so I could be wrong about Greico. But I have a feeling that I am not. :angry:

Bottom line, with Parise earning paychecks, Lamoreaux is our best bet to win and make a playoff run.

This team needs to grow up and play a full and complete game of hockey every time it steps onto the ice.

No matter the score; no matter the opponent.

Every game; every period; every shift: Full effort.

The total fiasco that was the second and third v. MSU-Mankato on Saturday is unacceptable. The Fighting Sioux got fat, happy, and satisfied with a three goal lead. And to compound it they started playing lazy (the feet quit moving) and stupid (late, unnecessary penalties). That is not Fighting Sioux hockey.

Boys, you have one and only one game of hockey to worry about:

Friday, February 16, v. Minnesota-Duluth.

Full effort.

Every shift.

You know, I thought about this perspective and I'm not buying. They'll win 2-3 points this weekend but more importantly they need to knock off DU in a big way. 4 points for them would most likely assure a 3rd seed in the WCHA and a guaranteed sweet 16. I'm all for the this game/that game crap, but a man has to have goals. The short term is DU.

I don't think anyone wants to bestow sainthood on him. I think some of us question why "St. Phil" gets blamed for everything bad that happens to this team, while Anthony Greico (who is nothing special at this point in his career) gets a free ride from some people on this forum.

People talk about Greico taking us to St. Louis; I think Greico has a better chance of being the next Josh Sievebieda than the next Aaron Schweitzer. Of course, I used to think Jordan Parise was average at best, so I could be wrong about Greico. But I have a feeling that I am not. :angry:

Bottom line, with Parise earning paychecks, Lamoreaux is our best bet to win and make a playoff run.

Phil is a slightly above average DI goalie at best which simply means we need to play better defense in front of him to have a chance to win games. He is capable of making a couple big saves per game but usually balances them out with a couple soft goals. Yes he may have been hurt early on in the season which effected his play, but he hasn't played at the same level he did during the Ledyard Bank Tourney thru the AA series. The only difference I see is our offense is coming around (still need more scoring depth to take the pressure off the DOT line to make a legitimate run). We'll all have more confidence in Phil once he stands on his head and shuts out a quality opponent. If that can happen in Denver or St Cloud, watch out.

Phil is a slightly above average DI goalie at best which simply means we need to play better defense in front of him to have a chance to win games. He is capable of making a couple big saves per game but usually balances them out with a couple soft goals. Yes he may have been hurt early on in the season which effected his play, but he hasn't played at the same level he did during the Ledyard Bank Tourney thru the AA series. The only difference I see is our offense is coming around (still need more scoring depth to take the pressure off the DOT line to make a legitimate run). We'll all have more confidence in Phil once he stands on his head and shuts out a quality opponent. If that can happen in Denver or St Cloud, watch out.

I agree.

I think that Phil has played at the same level. In the last 4 games, there have been more goals scored against Phil that he didn't see than ones that he did see. You do make the point that we need better defence in front of him(don't screen your own goalie, let the goalie make the saves, keep feet and sticks out of the way). Phil is entirely capable of stopping a shot from the point as long as he can see it so why does everyone feel the need to try to block it??? No goalie can stop a puck he can't see not even Brodeur. Part of what makes Elliot look so good is the system he plays in. We had so many shots in all four games against him this year that went right into his chest. That's the d-men taking the good shooting lanes away. That's what we did when in the four games after the first of the year. Phil was about 1.25 gaa and 94% in those games. When we got back to trying to block shots, the last four games he's down to 3.25 gaa and 88%. If you take away the two goals that really stand out (off of Fabian's skate and Lee's stick) his numbers in the last four change to 2.5 gaa and 90%. That's about where we need him to be. There were other goals in the last four that I don't think were his fault but they were debateable. These two aren't and you can really see the difference in the numbers. Not to mention one point closer to moving up from 5th place.

People talk about Greico taking us to St. Louis; I think Greico has a better chance of being the next Josh Sievebieda than the next Aaron Schweitzer. Of course, I used to think Jordan Parise was average at best, so I could be wrong about Greico. But I have a feeling that I am not. ;)

Phil has been playing good of late and has allowed some questionable goals, that being said, Grieco has only played a minimum of games as a Freshman, that one would expect playing for a team such as the Sioux. Why not hold all this judgement until the kid gets the opportunity to show us just how he can perform?:sad:? Are we talkng about the same Grieco who was awarded rookie of the week his second weekend playing against St. Cloud and has winning average of 580%.

Phil is our go to goalie until someone can show he coaching staff that they are capable of the job. The coaching staff needs balance with goaltending going into the playoffs. :angry:

Phil is our go to goalie until someone can show he coaching staff that they are capable of the job. The coaching staff needs balance with goaltending going into the playoffs. :angry:

Barring injuries I think it's Lamoureux's job until at least next year. I don't see Hakstol changing things up for the rest of the year.

That would be him.

I think it is amazing to see that fightingsioux4life has the kind of ability to declare that Grieco may be a bust after 6 or 7 appearances during his freshman year (most of the games while only 17 years old). Siembida came into UND just before his 19th birthday.

Though Siembida's and Grieco's save% are similar for their freshmen year (just under .890) Grieco will more than likely finish with a winning record (3-2-1) whereas Siembida finished with a stellar 5-6-1 record.

Now, I don't know about you, but most of us gave up on Siembida during or shortly after his Sophomore year. It's sad to see Grieco isn't all the way through his freshman year before people have given up on him.

That being said, it's going to be rough when Phil graduates and we have Eidsness and Grieco as our goaltenders. I mean, one is already being called a bust and another is a relatively unknown like Grieco was coming in and I wonder how many games Eidsness will play before he'll be called another Siembida? 12? 6? 2? I can't wait to find out.

I think it is amazing to see that fightingsioux4life has the kind of ability to declare that Grieco may be a bust after 6 or 7 appearances during his freshman year (most of the games while only 17 years old). Siembida came into UND just before his 19th birthday.

redwing77,

If you would have actually read all of my post, I said I was wrong about Parise and I could be wrong about Grieco. I hope I am wrong about Grieco. It does this program no good to have a sieve on the roster. Grieco could turn into an all-WCHA goaltender, given time. But the point I was making earlier (and will make again and again and again), is that Grieco is nothing special right now and until he shows us something, I don't trust him in goal.

The two games Grieco won in Mankato had little to do with him and a lot to do with our offense. He got the hook in Anchorage in one of our two losses up there. Based on this evidence, the idea of him taking us to St. Louis is pure wishful thinking. We had better hope that Lamoreaux doesn't get hurt again, or I don't think we can make it to St. Louis (It's going to be a tough road as it is). I don't expect a freshman to be perfect in goal (or any other position for that matter), but they should show us something (like Schweitzer did in 1996-97) to get excited about before we call for a goalie change.

redwing77,

If you would have actually read all of my post, I said I was wrong about Parise and I could be wrong about Grieco. I hope I am wrong about Grieco. It does this program no good to have a sieve on the roster. Grieco could turn into an all-WCHA goaltender, given time. But the point I was making earlier (and will make again and again and again), is that Grieco is nothing special right now and until he shows us something, I don't trust him in goal.

The two games Grieco won in Mankato had little to do with him and a lot to do with our offense. He got the hook in Anchorage in one of our two losses up there. Based on this evidence, the idea of him taking us to St. Louis is pure wishful thinking. We had better hope that Lamoreaux doesn't get hurt again, or I don't think we can make it to St. Louis (It's going to be a tough road as it is). I don't expect a freshman to be perfect in goal (or any other position for that matter), but they should show us something (like Schweitzer did in 1996-97) to get excited about before we call for a goalie change.

And I'm pointing out that it is typical for people who are low on certain players (not just Grieco) to simply omit the evidence that shows he has what it takes to be a good player just to fit an argument. This isn't just you. You just typed up a post that best shows what I'm saying.

Was the UAA outing bad? Yup. Can't argue there.

You seem to forget something... like his performance against SCSU. Uh.... last time I checked, he looked AWFULLY good... But maybe it was because SCSU was a "easy win?" Oh wait.... Grieco's win was the last time SCSU would be beaten for over 12 games.... so that's not it. Grieco vs. SCSU. If you can't see that as SOMETHING, then you need to get glasses.

Schweitzer showed up and almost immediately took over. I think that was a wonderful thing. However, I don't recall anyone expecting Grieco to march onto campus and immediately be looked upon as the #1 guy. And I don't know many here who are (right now) calling for a goaltending change. Which is why I state this:

I know you HOPE you are wrong, but I KNOW you are wrong. That's what I'm saying.

UND needs 4 points this weekend because if a few scenarios happen this same weekend:

1.) Denver does not play this weekend at all.

2.) Minnesota sweeps at Colorado College

3.) Wisconsin sweeps vs. St. Cloud State

The updated top five standings would like this:

1. Minnesota 37 pts.

2. St. Cloud State 29 pts.

3. Denver 27 pts.

North Dakota 27 pts.

5. Colorado College 26 pts.

That means, the next weekend we will head to Denver only two points behind them for third place and then to St. Cloud State with a realistic shot at finishing second behind Minnesota. If we can sweep Duluth, and get some help I see us moving from fifth up to as high as second possibly. It's an iffy, but possible.

UND needs 4 points this weekend because if a few scenarios happen this same weekend:

1.) Denver does not play this weekend at all.

2.) Minnesota sweeps at Colorado College

3.) Wisconsin sweeps vs. St. Cloud State

The updated top five standings would like this:

1. Minnesota 37 pts.

2. St. Cloud State 29 pts.

3. Denver 27 pts.

North Dakota 27 pts.

5. Colorado College 26 pts.

That means, the next weekend we will head to Denver only two points behind them for third place and then to St. Cloud State with a realistic shot at finishing second behind Minnesota. If we can sweep Duluth, and get some help I see us moving from fifth up to as high as second possibly. It's an iffy, but possible.

I say let SCSU and Minnesota keep gettin the wins...Id be glad to finish in third. Wisconsin wont be sweeping nothing this weekend, but really that doesn't affect us much anyways. We sweep is the key thing, and it better happen! :sad: They play 60 mins. like this past friday, we are golden...But we play 20 min. like we did saturday....Im going home early! its a hard thing to watch a team play totally opposite the next night, they must have partied pretty good or something on friday :angry:;);)

Realistically I don't think Wisconsin will sweep St. Cloud State, and yes I agree that I'd be completely satisfied with third place...especially after the first half the team had. But, it won't matter what the other teams do unless UND sweeps this weekend.

I agree, it was tough to see them play so great Friday night and completely differently Saturday night. I do know that some of the boys like to party a lot, but that's college life. They'll do what it takes to win, I have a lot of confidence in these boys.