SiouxSports.com Forum

Brian Lee

riders06

I am a big Brian Lee fan and it's just funny to me how 90% of the Sioux fans at the game think he is the worst player on the ice. On Mankato's second goal, all he was trying to do was stop the puck so he could turn and fire it down the rink. All 6 of the other Sioux defenseman would have done the same thing but it just happened to be him and hit his stick and go into the net. This is when everyone starts yelling about how bad he is and he shouldn't see the ice anymore. But then he gets into a scrap and everyone is behind him, yelling how great he is. No one got mad at Finley last season in the national semifinals when the puck hit his stick and went over Parise's sholder to put BC up 3-0. Everyone was there supporting him. Lee is human and he makes mistakes. I was so happy when he scored last night so it would shut up all of the Brian Lee haters out there and show that he is a very good player and will be playing in the NHL someday. Brian Lee is the most hated player by UND fans to ever put on a Sioux jersey.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big Brian Lee fan and it's just funny to me how 90% of the Sioux fans at the game think he is the worst player on the ice. On Mankato's second goal, all he was trying to do was stop the puck so he could turn and fire it down the rink. All 6 of the other Sioux defenseman would have done the same thing but it just happened to be him and hit his stick and go into the net. This is when everyone starts yelling about how bad he is and he shouldn't see the ice anymore. But then he gets into a scrap and everyone is behind him, yelling how great he is. No one got mad at Finley last season in the national semifinals when the puck hit his stick and went over Parise's sholder to put BC up 3-0. Everyone was there supporting him. Lee is human and he makes mistakes. I was so happy when he scored last night so it would shut up all of the Brian Lee haters out there and show that he is a very good player and will be playing in the NHL someday. Brian Lee is the most hated player by UND fans to ever put on a Sioux jersey.

Hate is a pretty strong word. Im pretty sure no one hates him. He was a top ten draft pick and people expect him to play like it. There is no doubt he is a good player but people just want to see him be a great player.

lee is soft, he rarely hits hard and protects phil... that doesnt make him a bad player at all. its just not the norm for a sioux d man. hes just different i guess... he has made bad passes this season in front of our own goal as has others for sure. he is human like all other players but lets remember, he is a top 1st round draft pick so the expectations are VERY HIGH for him. he should be a 4 year player in my eyes. and also its not his fault he was drafted so high. ottawa thought the was a cant miss and he may be a very good nhl d man but as of now i would say he needs to stick it out 3 or 4 years with the sioux. we all want lee do tear it up, lets not get it twisted but there are times where you go why the hell was he drafted where he was? and times you go ok, thats nice....

and i wouldnt call that a scrap, he wanted nothing to do with that fight which is fine with me as its a automatic DQ but since he did punch, he should have gotten his DQ's money worth and popped that guy like crazy.

finley has made many mistakes as well, and there have been threads on having him leave early due to bad play. its not just lee. there is nothing wrong with critisism at all, players and coaches should be taken to task if they do make a bone head play or bad move. its sports.

and HATE is way to strong of a word.....

I dont know where you sit at the game to come to that conclusion. That would be 9 out of every 10 people at the game. Where I sit, that is hardly the case.

That tip of the puck was something that happened. Sure, it sucked, but I didnt see anyone yelling at him to start playing for his own team. $hit happens, and everyone knows that. I dont think people hate him for the way he is playing. Discouraged, maybe, but hate, no way.

I'd put Trevor Hammer lower on the list than Lee. Where were you rider06 when the "favorite Sioux player" thread was around a month ago. I recall me being the only one who listed Brian Lee. Granted I put him down in a sarcastic manner, but I don't think Lee is all that bad. Youth is his biggest enemy right now, but he is at the end of his sophomore season so fans do expect him to play smarter hockey, which he has shown signs of at times. I don't blame last nights tip in on him at all. That was a bad bounce. I would have been more upset had he been totally out of position, and it resulted in a goal. Defense is a lot harder to learn than forward, but because of his draft position, and it being the end of his 2nd year, fans are expecting him to step up to plate. As AZSIOUX said, he'll be a 3 or 4 year player. Right now, I expect him to be here for 4 years, but I do think he'll play much better in his final two season than how things started for him.

I do think Lee is trying to play with some fire

They need to bring in some tough defensemen to teach him how to play the game with grit & fire

I was proud of him dropping the gloves - but if yer going to do it ....go full bezerk & make it worth while :huh:

& it is good to see him following Binas lead & trying to step up in the play & score

He needs to throw caution to the wind & just play hard & tough & take some chances & get some confidence & do it with more regularity

Hey no one would criticise him if he screws up while being all he can be - but to do it with tenitiveness only makes him seem wimpy :lol:

brian lee has an awesome offensive mentality and once and awhile has very good vision on the ice. however, i know lee didnt want to fight, but once he threw the first punch he should have just let the other guy have it (whatever that may be from lee i dont know..lol) in my eyes he got worked, and looked like a pussy doing it.

i think why people dont like him or praise him is because he isnt really a defensive minded defensmen if that makes sense. he doesnt like to hit, he doesnt like to protect..he likes to shoot and get the puck up ice. i think he just needs a little more time to find his own niche in the UND game:)

I was excited to see him come to North Dakota. He was what I thought ND could really use, an Dman that could generate some offense. My frustration with him comes more from the fact that he has only scored two goals so far this season. I'm not expecting him to be scoring goal after goal, but I do expect him to be putting the puck on the net from the point consistently and other players banging home the rebound. I swear the puck bounces over his stick more then anything and when he does control it, it's not a good shot. Then in the Sioux zone, he is not very physical, which he needs to be. Too often he let's the opposing team shoot when they are breaking into the zone. I think that has gotten better, but he can't be letting the other team shoot...

Lee isn't hated, nor is he loved, in my book. But he, so far, is overated thats for sure. He supposedly gained 15 pounds over the summer...of what, soft tissue? MAN UP BUDDY!

Bolded is one of the reasons why I think rider06 is onto something.

Brian Lee is an offensive defenseman. Brian Lee isn't the same kind of defenseman as Greene, Smaby, Commodore, Jones, or even Schneider (though he was somewhat an offensive minded defenseman).

Brian Lee is NOT going to be a bruiser. He is NOT going to go out there and try to kill people. Since that is what we expect defensemen to be if they are 6' tall or taller, Brian Lee will not be respected regardless of what he does on the ice.

I really think that if he hadn't been drafted in the first round and was 4-6 inches shorter and didn't change his game play one bit otherwise, I don't think people would have much of a problem with him. I really don't.

That being said, I like Lee. I like what he brings to the game. Fetch is right. He is playing with more fire now. He's not perfect. He's not the best defenseman to don the jersey nor do I think he will be. But he's a darn better hockey player than many on this board would care to admit.

Bolded is one of the reasons why I think rider06 is onto something.

Brian Lee is an offensive defenseman. Brian Lee isn't the same kind of defenseman as Greene, Smaby, Commodore, Jones, or even Schneider (though he was somewhat an offensive minded defenseman).

Brian Lee is NOT going to be a bruiser. He is NOT going to go out there and try to kill people. Since that is what we expect defensemen to be if they are 6' tall or taller, Brian Lee will not be respected regardless of what he does on the ice.

I really think that if he hadn't been drafted in the first round and was 4-6 inches shorter and didn't change his game play one bit otherwise, I don't think people would have much of a problem with him. I really don't.

That being said, I like Lee. I like what he brings to the game. Fetch is right. He is playing with more fire now. He's not perfect. He's not the best defenseman to don the jersey nor do I think he will be. But he's a darn better hockey player than many on this board would care to admit.

I could not agree more with everything redwing just said.

I could not agree more with everything redwing just said.

Oh I agree also, yet as a defenseman, your goal is to 'bump''hit' people off the puck. Not that you need to go out and kill people every game but still, no matter who you are, need to throw a hit every once in awhile. Hell, Duncans out there throwing more hits than he is :angry: . Hitting is not just to get the puck away from your opponent, but it is also to get into your opponents head. You give them a jolt or two upon entering sioux's zone, the next time they enter all the opponent will be thinking is I need to pass or shoot this puck quick before I get mangled again. Its a huge part of the game, especially on the defensive side! Its obvious that lee isn't that type of player, so he better become the best puck poker :sad: in the world if he's going to be good enough to do well in his hockey career

will be playing in the NHL someday. Brian Lee is the most hated player by UND fans to ever put on a Sioux jersey.

Based on his play I don't see him in the NHL anytime soon, if ever. I don't think many of hate him. We expect him to play a hell of a lot better than he has this season.

Hate, no. disappointment at times, yes. I have not heard any unusual response to Lee that isn't just generic fuming at a bad play by one of the Sioux players.

Now, there is this one guy in Section 114. We've actually nicknamed him "Lee Hater" because of the way he acts, but no one else I am aware of. He only comes on Friday nights and whenever Lee does anything we always look over to see his reaction. Quite humorous, actually, since he seems he just cannot enjoy the game. But, that's his problem.

Lee has tremendous offensive skills. He needs to be a better defensive player consistently. I think that's all we're looking and hoping for. No hate here.

hate is a pretty strong word....many people had very HIGH expectations with is draft status and so forth, MR HOCKEY MINNESOTA.....he plays soft and it is what it is........he should be around for the 4 years and hopefully he will improve every year

there may be a few people that hate him but thats not as a person, they may HATE his GAME because they are looking for something else in him