SiouxSports.com Forum

O Sid

siouxnami

Sid Hartman:

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, who in my opinion will go down as the best commissioner in the history of the league, is happy with attendance just two years after a labor dispute erased the 2004-2005 season. The league set an attendance record last year and, although not many teams are selling out every game like the Wild, numbers are up this season as well. The league reported a record 3,193,093 fans went to games last month, 1.7 percent ahead of last January.

Wow, Sid thats quite the opinion... I can only say that I disagree.

Bettman is a buffoon, however, had he not led the owners into the lockout, and forced the players into the new CBA, the league would be in huge financial trouble right now. The unrestrained spending by several team owners had driven player salaries to un-sustainable levels, bankrupting several franchises. The Pens have yet to recover.

I won't ever accuse Bettman of being the best of anything, let alone the best commissioner in league history. But he just might have saved the NHL.

And Sid is a tired old man who long ago should've been put out to pasture.

Sid The Squid is the biggest moron in the history of the universe if he believes this about Buttman. Buttman is the worst thing to ever happen to the NHL. Under his reign we have seen two work stoppages; teams located everywhere except downtown Baghdad or Mexico City; the overall pu$$ification of NHL hockey; gimmicks and gayouts to hide the death of a once great sport.

Attendance records? LOL! I am not sure who is doing his accounting but on any given night just have a look at the seats in the arena of any random city. You'll see entire sections nearly empty. Wait until next season. It's going to be worse. The league is losing the hard core fan and is catering to the corporate fool who takes up a perfectly good seat and then spends his time talking on the cell phone and not watching the game.

Buttman has made the NHL game unwatchable. Hartman is a the King of Idiots. This is smply an incredible statement by him.

I'm speechless. How can anybody with a modicum of understanding of the game think that Bettman has been even mediocre?

I agree. When a person get old they are supposed to retire and enjoy life. I would like to enjoy a paper without Sid poluting it.

Sid The Squid is the biggest moron in the history of the universe if he believes this about Buttman. Buttman is the worst thing to ever happen to the NHL. Under his reign we have seen two work stoppages; teams located everywhere except downtown Baghdad or Mexico City; the overall pu$$ification of NHL hockey; gimmicks and gayouts to hide the death of a once great sport.

Attendance records? LOL! I am not sure who is doing his accounting but on any given night just have a look at the seats in the arena of any random city. You'll see entire sections nearly empty. Wait until next season. It's going to be worse. The league is losing the hard core fan and is catering to the corporate fool who takes up a perfectly good seat and then spends his time talking on the cell phone and not watching the game.

Buttman has made the NHL game unwatchable. Hartman is a the King of Idiots. This is smply an incredible statement by him.

Mike McFeely is right behind him.

Bettman is a buffoon, however, had he not led the owners into the lockout, and forced the players into the new CBA, the league would be in huge financial trouble right now. The unrestrained spending by several team owners had driven player salaries to un-sustainable levels, bankrupting several franchises. The Pens have yet to recover.

I won't ever accuse Bettman of being the best of anything, let alone the best commissioner in league history. But he just might have saved the NHL.

Yeah, those moves/expansions into Columbus, Carolina, Atlanta, Florida, etc. have been real winners for the entire sport, driven more by move and expansion fees than any modicum of common sense. :blush: Now, if they're lucky, the Stanley Cup gets a 0.7 Nielsen share, right behind spelling bees and George Foreman grill infomercials.

Sid the IDiot may be a complete tool, but he is something like the third oldest person alive (now that the oldest American has just recently passed away). Sid is a poster child for senility. Even Chad (his son?) pokes fun enough at him on the air. It kinda makes me wonder if someone can be respected and disrespected at the same time? It seems like the people that pay homage to Sid only do so to his face. :blush:

As for Bettman, mikejm brings up some interesting points, but alas, the NHL has never gotten into fewer homes than it has in the past (before the lockout). Instead of basically bending over the desk to try to change this he simply takes the bigger money (Versus vs. the less lucrative ESPN offer) which would be ok if the NHL were more popular. The NHL isn't the Yankees. The Yankees can have their own channel and it wouldn't hurt viewership. Versus has basically taken NHL out of the homes, regardless of your opinion of the new rules.

I don't think the new rules are as bad as some are saying. Sure, there are stupid ones (like the rules governing where a goaltender can handle the puck), but it's not all as bad.

As for the expansions ScottM are mentioning, Nashville is doing alright. Columbus and Florida are in trouble. Carolina used to be in Hartford (a place that some argue Carolina should move back to) and Phoenix used to be in Winnipeg. I really think Bettman should facilitate the relocation of at least Florida to a Canadian location (Winnipeg or somewhere) and perhaps even Columbus to a Canadian city as well.

Bettman should also drop this crappy scheduling. Instead of playing conference mates 8 times a season, drop it to 6 and get more interconference rivalries to help out. Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin and the Sabres electrifying game all need to make it west more.

redwing, you should be commissioner. Honestly. I think you touched on everything that is wrong with the NHL. Scheduling sucks; need some teams back north (Winnipeg would be great). And do anything...anything!!!!...to get back on ESPN.

Carolina and Phoenix are NOT expansion teams. They are teams that relocated. Carolina used to be in Hartford (a place that some argue Carolina should move back to) and Phoenix used to be in Winnipeg.

Hartford played in a mall. I doubt they would want to go back. I am not so sure they would support them anyways.

The Bruins are too close to them as far as markets go. Just my hmo.

Just a couple of points...

Sid is on drugs. The NHL changed its attendance policy to now reflect not just tickets sold but also tickets given away. Of course "attendence" is up when you look at it that way. In terms of actual fans in the seats...uh oh.

As far as the commentary about the Columbus Blue Jackets being "in trouble." I've seen their arena first-hand and if that organization ever gets its act together, it'll be one of the best venues in the NHL. It's a beautiful facility and its the only game in town. What else are you going to do in Columbus in the winter, go watch 35 year old college freshman Greg Oden play bouncey-ball?

And Sid is a tired old man who long ago should've been put out to pasture.

This is the only Sid you have to worry about in regards to the NHL. He's the one that wears #87!!!!!!