SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Recruits

UND Fan

It appears NDSU had a very good recruiting class as well. Two questions for Bison fans:

1) How long has SU had a Criminal Justice program? I didn't realize that you offered this. I see that 2-3 of your recruits plan to go into that field.

2) What is SU's definition of a "preferred walk-on"?

Thanks!

It appears NDSU had a very good recruiting class as well. Two questions for Bison fans:

1) How long has SU had a Criminal Justice program? I didn't realize that you offered this. I see that 2-3 of your recruits plan to go into that field.

Thanks!

1. I think for a long time. Seems to me that I've heard that major for student athletes for sometime.

2. In DI-AA (FCS) you can only have so many players on your team. Not like DII when you could have over 100. I don't remember what the limit is.

I have no idea why I'm responding to a post regarding NDSU recruits, but I just had to interject on the "preferred walk-on" issue.

I found this as the first Google hit.

More local football players opting to be preferred walk-ons

Those cases are football players who are essentially asked to join college teams as walk-ons. High-level, Division I-A programs don't have a scholarship spot for them, but they think enough of their abilities to guarantee a walk-on spot with the team.

Those players, commonly known as preferred walk-ons, report in August like the scholarship players and are afforded almost the same luxuries provided to the guys on scholarship. The main difference is their tuition and housing expenses aren't paid.

The article is in reference to BCS programs, but I'm sure it is the same for FCS teams.

63 scholarship equivalencies (IE, 2 quarter scholarships and 1 half scholarship mean 3 players make 1 equivalency) can only be given to 85 players.

The maximum number of players on the roster is greater than 85.

Kids who are allowed to come to fall camp that aren't in that 85 have to be declared to the NCAA as "preferred walkons".

I think.

After school starts, the maximum roster expands a bit and "traditional" walkons can become part of the team.

The maximum number of student-athletes that may participate in practice prior to the beginning of the fall semester in a FCS program is 90, so there are only 5 "preferred" walk-on spots available at a school that does not grant only need-based financial aid.

A couple pertinent bylaws from the Good Book:

15.5.5.2 Division I-AA Football. [i-AA]There shall be an annual limit of 30 on the number of ini-

tial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1), an annual limit of 63 on the value of financial aid awards

(equivalencies) to counters, and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including

initial counters) in football at each Division I-AA institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)

17.11.2.1.3 Limit on Number of Participants

Thanks!

This is if I'm not mistaken this is the 4th year year that NDSU has offered a BA in Criminal Justice. The program is obviously relatively new. Before that, they offered a BA in sociology with CJ as a minor.

This is if I'm not mistaken the 4th year year that NDSU has offered a BA in Criminal Justice. The program is obviously relatively new. Before that, they offered a BA in sociology with CJ as a minor.

There's that duplicating of degrees again. :lol: Where's Mplsbison?

A program that is in it's 4th year is needed for NDSU to survive? :glare:

I guess they've been on the brink of closing down the school for quite some time then.

Good point.

Say...what do you think about restructuring the NDUS engineering programs? :blush:

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

From the NDSU Criminal Justice Department Website:

The Department of Criminal Justice & Political Science was established in 2003. With three faculty members in criminal justice, the department serves over 200 criminal justice majors and 20 graduate students.

While criminal justice courses have been taught at NDSU for many years, in the fall of 2003, the State Board of Higher Education approved the change from a criminal justice emphasis to a new B.S. degree in Criminal Justice. The program also houses a Ph.D. program, which began in fall of 2002, an M.S. program, which began in fall of 2005, and minors in Criminal Justice and Fraud Examination.

In October 2003, the criminal justice program moved into the new Criminal Justice and Public Policy Building, which will provide ample space for the program

Thanks!

Found this on a Utah newspaper website by doing a search for 'preferred walk-on.' It's not a good explanation, but it's the best I could find right now. Apparently it has become common practice in most DI programs.

A preferred walk-on is a recruited athlete who doesn't have a scholarship because of a numbers situation. It also involves being able to partake of certain team amenities, such as available locker room space.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660195061,00.html

There's that duplicating of degrees again. :angry: Where's Mplsbison?

Yeah...it's kind of like when UND & NDSU added education majors when Valley City & Mayville (on the east side) already had full-blown programs, facilities, and a mission that is still stated clearly in the North Dakota Constitution. It wasted millions of dollars and the tuition costs went up dramatically for education majors.

CJ is a program every university needs to survive.

Right...every university is in a continual search pattern for new programs that will attract students. It is about survival. Same in athletics. Staying the same 'can' mean going backwards. D2 has been heading south for years. The ncaa abandoned UND & NDSU...as well as the South Dakota schools. We're not leaving D2. It was dismantled.

Thanks!

as well?

Yeah...it's kind of like when UND & NDSU added education majors when Valley City & Mayville (on the east side) already had full-blown programs, facilities, and a mission that is still stated clearly in the North Dakota Constitution. It wasted millions of dollars and the tuition costs went up dramatically for education majors.

I doubt highly that you'll find many shoulders to cry on in the NDSU and UND camps if Valley City or Mayville lose that mission.

Both schools should be closed or turned into junior colleges.

Thanks!

1)for a while. When NDSU made the jump to D1, more money was placed in the program. NDSU has a tri state policy with MSU/Concordia, that the athletes can take classes over there at SU rates, if SU doesn't offer the class they're looking for.

2) a recruit that verbals after all the scholarships are filled, and will likely recieve a scholarship the following year.