SiouxSports.com Forum

Tip of the Iceberg ?

Fetch

Binge drinking will no doubt become a bigger issue - it has been building momentum even before this

I admire Hak for bringing in the Chief of Police in to talk to the team

GF is not as Big a town as some think - In fact it is kinda inbetween being small town & Bigger City

Binge drinking is a Big Deal up here (& maybe everywhere) Is it a problem ? if done without driving ?

Bars have sure changed .......or have they ?

People drinking at home more (so as not to have to drive) why so many go to the Lake on weekends in the summer (so as not to drink & drive)

What % of SS.com members are binge drinkers ? What % of GF residents ?

What do you call a binge drinker ?

I don't see alcohol going away again ??? & I'm not wanting to hear from those that think it can

Can a community still drink (& binge drink) & be safe & a more Fun place ? It seems there are only those against it & want tighter enforcement /stricter laws & wish that will change things .....Are there things that can be done to make it OK, but see that those especially under 21 don't abuse it ? ? ? While at the same time make it safer & less a problem for those over 21 ? ? ?

I guess I'm kind of confused as to what you're looking for here. I don't know what measurments they use to figure out which city/college is the heaviest for binge drinkers, but I don't think UND is any different than other Universities around the nation. It just comes out like that on paper for whatever reason. I'll say this though, the wildest parties I've ever been to or involved with were in the military. I don't think I ever went to a college party that could compete with the ones I saw while serving my country.

Do I binge drink now? Not at all. I barely drink at anymore. That's just a personal choice. It's proven that adults become more responsible when they get older. So, yeah, some probably choose to go to the lake and drink heavily to avoid driving; or drink at home; or call a cab; or something that will not totally mess up what they have worked so hard for.

I'm sure a lot of ss.com posters will say they've driven home after a night out on the town, when they probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a vehicle. Yet, I'm sure the majority of the older ones will say that they will think ahead of how they're getting home and either modify the amount they're drinking or make sure they have someone to take them or their car home.

I just wonder if you're reaching here to find anything. College kids getting busted for being in an adult establishment. It's not that big of deal. Yes, 3 of our players we're involved in the incident, but it's not that big of a deal for friends to get busted together. It's what makes them friends. They'll move on from this with their careers, and have some good laughs about it 10 years from now and beyond.

Hockey games (& especially now that the Ralph has alcohol) makes it easier for many of us

I was just thinking of the bigger issue (that many here must not see or wish to ignore)

It just seems that it is either it's OK or it's not - I say Not for under 21 but then look at the example many of us set & then wonder why it is such a problem for those under 21

I think this even has examples of why can you die for your country but not have a Beer ?

Does our Society say one thing & do another - Does Canada have more or less problems with allowing 18 yr olds to drink ?

Just asking questions ? Instead of ignoring it - & I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it (if it does not hurt anyone) But it obviously is ???

I just wonder if you're reaching here to find anything. College kids getting busted for being in an adult establishment. It's not that big of deal. Yes, 3 of our players we're involved in the incident, but it's not that big of a deal for friends to get busted together. It's what makes them friends. They'll move on from this with their careers, and have some good laughs about it 10 years from now and beyond.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying whoops we messed up*

*note this is a cleaned-up version since this is a message board that younger people can read, but you get the point.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying whoops we messed up*

*note this is a cleaned-up version since this is a message board that younger people can read, but you get the point.

I just have a few things that I'd like you to help me clear up:

First, if my friend is an idiot, I have to make the same mistakes and be as stupid as he does, getting myself in trouble in the process, in order to be a true friend?

Why should a person get in trouble because his friend was stupid? No, I'm not saying bail on the friend. If you are committing the "crime" along with your friend, then stupid is as stupid does and both should pay the price. However, if 18 year old friend goes out some night and gets drunk and gets caught, why should I be expected to, as an 18 year old, go out there and get drunk with him?

Sorry, I like my friends and cherish their friendship, but if my friends do something stupid, I'd rather be what you define as a "good" friend than go down with that ship. I'm no co-dependent.

Quick edit: I'd rather be there for my friends rather than be there with my friends if they do something stupid, you know what I mean?

Sorry for my rather blunt take on that statement.

I don't know if this is true or not buy mt drugs and alcohol professor provided me with this stat. He siad that 98% of teenage drivers say oh s&!t before they get into an accident, the other 2% are from ND and they say watch this s&!t and hold me beer. by that stat, he means ND kids drink and drive a lot.

I don't know if this is true or not buy mt drugs and alcohol professor provided me with this stat. He siad that 98% of teenage drivers say oh s&!t before they get into an accident, the other 2% are from ND and they say watch this s&!t and hold me beer. by that stat, he means ND kids drink and drive a lot.

Yeah.... don't be so gullible.

Crap-ola meter should have been flying off the chart. This was merely a joke aimed at teenagers.

;);)???

I just have a few things that I'd like you to help me clear up:

First, if my friend is an idiot, I have to make the same mistakes and be as stupid as he does, getting myself in trouble in the process, in order to be a true friend?

Why should a person get in trouble because his friend was stupid? No, I'm not saying bail on the friend. If you are committing the "crime" along with your friend, then stupid is as stupid does and both should pay the price. However, if 18 year old friend goes out some night and gets drunk and gets caught, why should I be expected to, as an 18 year old, go out there and get drunk with him?

Sorry, I like my friends and cherish their friendship, but if my friends do something stupid, I'd rather be what you define as a "good" friend than go down with that ship. I'm no co-dependent.

Quick edit: I'd rather be there for my friends rather than be there with my friends if they do something stupid, you know what I mean?

Sorry for my rather blunt take on that statement.

I agree with you. I'll be there if you get in trouble or need help, but dont take me down with you. I'm not responsible for you, I'm only responsible for myself.

As far as cultural differences, from my observations, CanadiEns have a somewhat different view of alcohol and consumption. The men I have partied with in Canada are completely different than the men I have partied with in the States. Its difficult to explain really. Maybe the CanadiEns on board can explain it better.

I agree with you. I'll be there if you get in trouble or need help, but dont take me down with you. I'm not responsible for you, I'm only responsible for myself.

As far as cultural differences, from my observations, CanadiEns have a somewhat different view of alcohol and consumption. The men I have partied with in Canada are completely different than the men I have partied with in the States. Its difficult to explain really. Maybe the CanadiEns on board can explain it better.

ok, you are taking that way too seriously. It is meant as a joke, not that if your friend does something stupid then you should go do it too. I'm sry, I should have put the little sarcastic smiley behind it.

people that seriously use it should be shunned

Yeah thats typical - I just felt some of this needed to be said - to many of those that don't drink were feeling like Hockey Idols were getting special treatment. :lol:

But keep looking over your shoulder - in case the monkey gets too heavy - you know the old denile thang :D

Plus it's helped take the focus from a few to many :ohmy:

They Drink Molson instead of Miller Lite? :D And to that I say I dont' think so to that one, during the WJC they sold more beer in a couple of games than UND sold during a season of hockey. I heard someone at the Ralph talking about this in the beer vending stand. I have partied with Canadians in Canada and in the States and they are by far just as big of drinkers than Americans.

They Drink Molson instead of Miller Lite? :D And to that I say I dont' think so to that one, during the WJC they sold more beer in a couple of games than UND sold during a season of hockey. I heard someone at the Ralph talking about this in the beer vending stand. I have partied with Canadians in Canada and in the States and they are by far just as big of drinkers than Americans.

Its not how much they consume, which I grant you is similar to what Americans consume. Its how they handle it, their behaviors, the party atmosphere itself. As a female, I notice that it is different than from when I have partied with American men (and it isnt because they change their behavior or speech when I'm around, they act just the same as if I was not there). For example, I worry far more about my American friends/boyfriends when they party and drink, than I ever have for my fiance or his friends who lives 700 miles away. And I'm no mother hen girlfriend who dictates what he does either.

And I've been around a slo pitch team of all men, an amateur hockey team with two generations of men present, small town "Frenchies," kids that would be underage in the States and 70 year old grandmothers. I feel that it is different based on my experience but Im not saying it is the same for all.

I havent met a CanadiEn lumberjack....the "Frenchies" were interesting though (*disclaimer-my own fiance is French CanadiEn...he calls them Frenchies not me). :ohmy:

Yeah thats typical - I just felt some of this needed to be said - to many of those that don't drink were feeling like Hockey Idols were getting special treatment. :lol:

But keep looking over your shoulder - in case the monkey gets too heavy - you know the old denile thang :D

Plus it's helped take the focus from a few to many :ohmy:

I am not much of a drinker, even during college I was less of a drinker than all of my buddies.

Alcoholism and driving drunk are problems. But the way they define "binge drinking" is just a way of some people getting attention and trying to boss the rest of us around.

I am not much of a drinker, even during college I was less of a drinker than all of my buddies.

Alcoholism and driving drunk are problems. But the way they define "binge drinking" is just a way of some people getting attention and trying to boss the rest of us around.

So how would you describe the 18 year old kid that goes to a party, drinks as much as he can in a short period of time, until he passes out and/or dies as a result??

I wouldnt call him an alcoholic. Parents have dealt with this issue and in devastating ways. Binge drinking may be a term to describe stats, but it is a problem.

Im not really sure why this is on the hockey forum by the way,, shouldnt it be in the community section?