SiouxSports.com Forum

Restructuring NDUS engineering programs

MplsBison

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that some Global Warming Activists have been picketing outside your office. :silly:
They should be happy about this development. The methane will be used for clean-burning energy rather than being released into the atmosphere. It's a win-win for the environment and everyone in my proximity. :D

Nothing.

NDSU isn't gaining anything in this.

UND is losing CE, ME, and CE and gaining AE and BE.

They would be taking UND's ME, CE, and EE in order to decrease duplication. That would be a huge gain for them even thought they wouldn't be adding any new programs. What I was expected you to say was NDSU would close their Accounting program, Nursing program, some of their business programs etc. in order to accomplish your goal of decreasing duplication. If you really want to decrease duplication you will need to bring something to the table. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

If you think UND is simply going to close those Engineering programs, and get nothing in return, I think you are losing me. If your idea is that UND should close any programs and send them to NDSU in exchange for an opportunity to develop new fields of study it will not happen. UND already is reviewing a number of new programs and, at times in the past, if not present, have discussed Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering as well as Genetic mapping, Biomedical Engineering etc. I believe most of those programs are expensive, complicated and very dependent on grant dollars and coorporate sponsorship.

The days of Clifford and Loftsgard working together disappeared behind big Joe's ears and ego. We will see how things might change with UND behind someone like Dr. Bruce Smith. He has the charisma and moxy to lead UND and sway the politicians similar to Clifford. There was no one better. Joe Chapman is the best at it since Clifford.

Whew! For a while here I thought I was going to have to transfer my son to another college. I'm so happy now that I know he can get his Engineering degree at UND. :silly:

Glad the pep talk helped.

I'd like to see petroleum engineering added somwhere in ND. There's lots of $ to be made in that field.

They are hydrogen fuel cells. This also intertwines with what is happeing at EERC. Linky. Fuel cells for vehicles.

Interesting.

Just from what I've read online, it seems like the problem of fitting enough hydrogen safely in tank to be useful is an even harder problem than building a battery that can store a useful amount of energy without weighing the vehical down too much.

They would be taking UND's ME, CE, and EE in order to decrease duplication.

No, they wouldn't be taking anything from UND.

The displaced UND students could choose to enroll at NDSU if they wanted. Or they could go to the U of MN, SDSU, Saint Cloud, or any of a number of accredited programs in the area.

What I was expected you to say was NDSU would close their Accounting program, Nursing program, some of their business programs etc. in order to accomplish your goal of decreasing duplication.
As the thread title indicates, this is about reducing duplication in the engineering field.

Though I've said I wouldn't have any program with nursing being at UND as that's closly related to the medical field. But that's a separate topic.

If you think UND is simply going to close those Engineering programs, and get nothing in return, I think you are losing me.

You gain AE and BE.

I believe most of those programs are expensive, complicated and very dependent on grant dollars and coorporate sponsorship.

Obviously NDUS would help with costs.

The idea is to provide the most oppertunities possible to the students of ND. Not to have 10 schools offering the same programs.

You say medicine to UND. Then you try to play "chemistry". Well, medicine required basic and bio- chemistry. Chemistry would go to UND with medicine, and thus chemical engineering and ... Pharmacy would be at UND.

As far as engineering, you're not going to create the Red River Valley Research Corridor with only one school with the fundamental fields of engineering.

PS - Ask the Dean of UND Med where he thinks the Pharmacy program should be. :silly:

PPS - Go here (definition of pharmacy) and tell me what root word appears more often: medicine/medical or chemsistry/chemical.

You say medicine to UND. Then you try to play "chemistry". Well, medicine required basic and bio- chemistry. Chemistry would go to UND with medicine, and thus chemical engineering and ... Pharmacy would be at UND.

As far as engineering, you're not going to create the Red River Valley Research Corridor with only one school with the fundamental fields of engineering.

PS - Ask the Dean of UND Med where he thinks the Pharmacy program should be. :silly:

Ask the Dean of Pharmacy at NDSU where it should be.

You say medicine to UND. Then you try to play "chemistry". Well, medicine required basic and bio- chemistry. Chemistry would go to UND with medicine, and thus chemical engineering and ...

And business for medical sales, mechanical engineering for ambulance manufacture, etc.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

you're not going to create the Red River Valley Research Corridor with only one school with the fundamental fields of engineering.

Of course it would.

The entire point of the RRVRC is that the technology parks at UND and NDSU focus on different fields. NDSU has electrical and computer engineering and UND has bio technolgy and aerospace technology.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I have an idea. How about we draw the line at the funding a UND biomedical research grant provides for drug research at NDSU. If, as you say, there's no connection between pharmacy and medicine, then there's no reason for UND to cooperate with NDSU on that research project. Right?

I have an idea. How about we draw the line at the funding a UND biomedical research grant provides for drug research at NDSU. If, as you say, there's no connection between pharmacy and medicine, then there's no reason for UND to cooperate with NDSU on that research project. Right?

I'm sure the UND School of Medicine's Pharmacology program would gladly take the research (and dollars) instead.