SiouxSports.com Forum

Doug Woog on KNOX right now *Done Now*

The Whistler

Transcript, anyone?

I didn't take notes but I'll report on what I recall.

There was some discussion on Officiating. Woogie talked that Greg Sheppard has done great work and that things are a lot better than they used to be. He talked about coming up here in 1962 on the train, and how the winters were pretty harsh back then. The train had a snowplow and everything.

They'd come here and the person to pick them up would be Frenchy LaCrosse. He said here you are a visiting team and your referee for the game is a local bar owner so things have improved.

He also talked about how the choice is do you call it tight or do you call it loose. If you let the boys play then it'll catch up to you when you reach the national tournament. He made this same point on Saturday night during one of the period breaks.

(My response is that I think they should call it loosely and get more scoring. But you should call it the same, game to game, official to official, period to period, team to team. That's my complaint.)

He said that scoring is at an all time low. He said that the game was set up for the goaltenders as the NHL raided the forwards with the exception of Matt Carle.

A caller called in and asked if Ryan Duncan would be considered for the Hobey. Woog said that you have to consider him.

McNamarra took Woog to task for taking credit for calling our top line the "DOT" line. Woogie handled that well. Maybe he came up with it independently.

Woog said something about how this year most teams have one good line so maybe the DOT line might be enough.

That's what I can remember right now.

Woog was good... I especially found it interesting when he said "...I absolutly agree that the Sioux out-competed the Gophers this weekend, and especially in the 3rd period of Saturday night's game..."

When asked "...how will they respond to being that badly outplayed?" Woog responded "...not sure, they haven't been through this before, it will be interesting.

What about Bina for Hobey, he may not get it but sure as hell deserves a nomination. He's one back of Goligoski for the lead by Defensemen I believe

I was thinking about this and the short answer is probably not this season, the full season numbers just can't justify it. However, if you go back 6 months, we just wanted to see him play again. My guess is that if he continues to play well and improve, he will get serious consideration next year if he can put up numbers over the course of a whole season like he has for the last month. I also think that because the Hobey is an on/off ice award, he certainly has the off the ice credibility to garner serious consideration (although, I guess so did Blake).

What about Bina for Hobey, he may not get it but sure as hell deserves a nomination. He's one back of Goligoski for the lead by Defensemen I believe

I agree and I even brought it up in the Saturday night thread, calling him Hobey Bina. There is no bigger story in NCAA hockey this year and he exemplifies everything that the NCAA wants the winner to be.

I agree and I even brought it up in the Saturday night thread, calling him Hobey Bina. There is no bigger story in NCAA hockey this year and he exemplifies everything that the NCAA wants the winner to be.

ok, so you guys were saying that and I went to the Hobey website. They have the voting for it up and we have TJ and Johnny but no one else. Is there a way to get Robbie on or is that the final list or am I just confused.

Woog was good... I especially found it interesting when he said "...I absolutly agree that the Sioux out-competed the Gophers this weekend, and especially in the 3rd period of Saturday night's game..."

When asked "...how will they respond to being that badly outplayed?" Woog responded "...not sure, they haven't been through this before, it will be interesting.

Woog has only been complimentary to the Sioux the past 4-5 years and probably because we have more

Minnesota kids on our roster these days. When we had mostly Canadian players her would never give

us the credit we were do. I know this personally from talking to him in Madison a few years ago

in the hotel bar after we got beat by BC in the regionals

I don't know who is responsible for compiling the list or the criteria to get on it, but that is the list of Hobey candidatets.

I think Fan voting has started and I am not sure if he is on the ballot or not. Unforunately he is not on http://www.hobeybaker.com

so there is no chance of him getting the award this season. Only TJ Oshie and Toews are on the ballot for the Sioux.

I think Fan voting has started and I am not sure if he is on the ballot or not. Unforunately he is not on http://www.hobeybaker.com

so there is no chance of him getting the award this season. Only TJ Oshie and Toews are on the ballot for the Sioux.

yep, that was my question. That is dumb, though he could still get in next year if he keeps up since he still has a year of eligibility left.