SiouxSports.com Forum

Gotta give credit where credit is due..

cujo2

About 7:45 tonight I thought this would be a route. Gophers were flying and buzzing all over the ice. Up 2-0 I always cringe, escpecially with this years Gopher squad. They have blown 3or4 two goals leads this year. Once Bina scored that short-handed goal I thought OH CHIT here we again. And sure enogh the sioux demolished the Gophers the remaining 2 periods. Hats off to UND they showed a lot of moxy and composure. Very easily could have been very ugly very fast. I don't think it was so much what the Gophers did not due but more what UND would not enable them to do.

Anyways, congratulations UND. Played a hell of a game and deserved to win.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cujo, thanks for the nice post. I haven't seen the gophers play this year, was tonight indicative of their play earlier in the year? I hate to say it, but it looked a lot like some games I have seen them play later in season in recent years...

I agree about cujo's post. Very classy.

I talked to a coworker who went to Minnesota today and he said that, despite UMN's record, they have not played well on Fridays recently.

That trend continues.

The Sioux still have a ways to go, IMO. They gave MN too many chances to get back into this in the 3rd from what I could see at Senser's (admittedly a long and fairly bad view).

They did have 4 penalties in the 3rd, and it did look like they weren't skating as well the first half of the 3rd, so I'd agree with your assessment to a certain degree. The thing I really liked tonight was how tenacious the penalty kill was throughout the game. That was a tremendous difference in this game.

They did have 4 penalties in the 3rd, and it did look like they weren't skating as well the first half of the 3rd, so I'd agree with your assessment to a certain degree. The thing I really liked tonight was how tenacious the penalty kill was throughout the game. That was a tremendous difference in this game.

yes.

From my comfortable recliner at the fire station it seemed like there was more Sioux fans there then Gopher fans from the crowd noise......WOW, could not believe it. I see our student section is trying to be like Wisconsin with the "A-Hole" chant I kept hearing......great! ;)

Too bad all the great road Sioux fans can't find grand forks... ???

From my comfortable recliner at the fire station it seemed like there was more Sioux fans there then Gopher fans from the crowd noise......WOW, could not believe it. I see our student section is trying to be like Wisconsin with the "A-Hole" chant I kept hearing......great! ???

Sad.

I thought that was the one redeeming value of Minnesota fans... that they weren't UW fans... ;)

Sad.

I thought that was the one redeeming value of Minnesota fans... that they weren't UW fans... :D

Well at least they didn't have anything to throw on the ice tonight! ???

This was getting to be one of the better student sections I remember in recent years.......well, big rivalrys can do this I guess. :0

About 7:45 tonight I thought this would be a route. Gophers were flying and buzzing all over the ice. Up 2-0 I always cringe, escpecially with this years Gopher squad. They have blown 3or4 two goals leads this year. Once Bina scored that short-handed goal I thought OH CHIT here we again. And sure enogh the sioux demolished the Gophers the remaining 2 periods. Hats off to UND they showed a lot of moxy and composure. Very easily could have been very ugly very fast. I don't think it was so much what the Gophers did not due but more what UND would not enable them to do.

Anyways, congratulations UND. Played a hell of a game and deserved to win.

Cujo, i don't know why you were thinking here we go again. your team has not given up a two goal lead this year yet alone a three or four goal lead. you have three losses on the season, now four. Two goals is the most you've lost by. Your team is 18-2-1 now after tonight when scoring first. I appreciate the complimentary post, but at that point in the game you really had no reason to be worried.

Woog and Mazacko did a very classy post game.

Yeah, I think both Woog & Mazzocco do a great job. I highly respect Woog's input and has probably forgot more about hockey than all of us combined will ever now. Say what you want about Woog but he is impartial. He calls it like it is. If the Gophers are playing well he states it but if the other team is sticking to the Gophers he is quick to give credit to the oppostion as well.

I do think Woog & Mazzocco have a high amount of respect for the UND program and are quick to point it out.

Cujo, thanks for the nice post. I haven't seen the gophers play this year, was tonight indicative of their play earlier in the year? I hate to say it, but it looked a lot like some games I have seen them play later in season in recent years...

Not even close. All the way through the tech series they had absolutely dominated every team they played. They would go an entire period without giving up a shot on goal, the opposition could barely get the puck into their offensive zone. The CC series was a prime example. Friday night they won 2-0 but had 40+ shots on net. The only difference was Matt Zaba, who said in the paper that "Minnesota had too many monsters on the ice" Zaba stood on his head the entire night. Well the Saturday night game the Gophers won 8-1 but the game felt like it was over after the 1st period. UMN had just dominated and dictated the play the entire game. I think in the 2nd period they did not yield a SOG to CC.

They continued their dominate play through the tech series but after that something happened. They have not been playing well at all. They played terrible in the uw & msu,m series. The only reason they won the games was because both of those teams have little if any offensive scoring punch. Now the same thing happened last night. Very sloppy with their transition game and turn the puck over. Same gopher team beign careless with the puck but the difference is that UND has a ton of guys who can bury those chances. And they did.

It is clearly obvious that without Tyler Hirsch the Gophers are not the same offensive threat. The thing that troubles me is the defensive side of the game is abysmal at best. Very simple basic assignments are being missed which led to I think 2 UND goals last night---UND wins 5-3. Pick up your defensive assignments and do not let those goals scored we have a different game.

I don't want to sound like too much of a homer but, if the gophers can play in March & April like they did in October & November it is gonna be a fun ride. Clearly the have some kinks in the armor but essentially have about 1 month to remove said kinks.

Cujo, i don't know why you were thinking here we go again. your team has not given up a two goal lead this year yet alone a three or four goal lead. you have three losses on the season, now four. Two goals is the most you've lost by. Your team is 18-2-1 now after tonight when scoring first. I appreciate the complimentary post, but at that point in the game you really had no reason to be worried.

The Gophers blew a 2 goal lead to Ohio State, Michigan State, St. Cloud State (twice in 1 game), and last Saturday against DU and again last night. Granted the ended up winning those games, except to SCSU a tie. I can handle a blown lead every now and again but to do it repetively bugs the hell out of me. I am all about National Championships, and national championship teams do not blow 2 goal leads over and over and over.

I don't want to sound like too much of a homer but, if the gophers can play in March & April like they did in October & November it is gonna be a fun ride. Clearly the have some kinks in the armor but essentially have about 1 month to remove said kinks.

I think part of the problem is that it's difficult for an entire team to maintain the same intensity throughout the course of a season. I'm sure it drives Gopher fans nuts, but with such a big lead in the WCHA, it's probably difficult to motivate the players to perform at the top of their game every night. In contrast, UND is in the position of having to treat every game as a playoff game.

Last season, it looked as if Wisconsin was going to run away with the the league title. They hit a bit of a slump, but recovered nicely and played their best hockey when they had to. The Gophers and this season are a long way from being done.

I think part of the problem is that it's difficult for an entire team to maintain the same intensity throughout the course of a season. I'm sure it drives Gopher fans nuts, but with such a big lead in the WCHA, it's probably difficult to motivate the players to perform at the top of their game every night. In contrast, UND is in the position of having to treat every game as a playoff game.

Last season, it looked as if Wisconsin was going to run away with the the league title. They hit a bit of a slump, but recovered nicely and played their best hockey when they had to. The Gophers and this season are a long way from being done.

The team is probably still reeling from losing Hirsh. Looks like they depended on him quite a bit!