SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS BEAVERS

AZSIOUX

it passed and i believe it will be a civic center type with a hockey arena around 3,500 to 4,000 seats which will be great for bsu, MILLSY would know more on this though, i really hope they end up in the wcha in the near future but thats a topic for a different day

lets play some fighting sioux hockey and be damn physical again this weekend and start friday out the right way, should be a great game up in b town

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay the low down on the BREC (Bemidji Regional Events Center).....

The vote in November was to approve a city wide sales tax increase of 0.5%. It would go into effect after the sunset date on the 0.5% that is already in place for parks and trail in Bemidji, which would be around 2009. The vote passed by 45 votes only, so there is some "rift" over the whole situation. The State has promised to pick up 40% of the bill with the City picking up the other 60%.

This is far from a done deal. This vote was only to approve the sales tax, not approve the Events Center. There is a committee in place that is doing the number crunching to see if it will be finacially feaseable for the City of Bemidji to do this. Almost all event centers do not make money on their own, they rely on the advertising and corporate sponsorship to make ends meet. This event center, worst case scenerio, could run a $450,000 deficit a year, or so the numbers say. Many businesses in Bemidji have stepped up and pledged money for the first five years to help off set this deficit. The problem is that the bonds needed to float the bill of the event center construction need to be guaranteed by the City, and property taxes are about the only way to do this. If the Center can not make the bond payments, the City would have to raise property taxes to make up the difference. The only way this gets done is that it has to be an Events Center for the whole community to use and just not an arena for the BSU hockey team.

As for the arena itself, it would be around 3500 to 4000 seats in a steep, bowl setting. BSU would actually rent the ice from the city, numbers that have been thrown around are $10,000 a game. The Beavers would be the anchor tenant. There would also be a second sheet of ice with seating for around 700 and that area could also serve as extra convention floor space.

We may only have 600 season tickets, but we also give 500 student tickets out for free, and most games, over 75% of those are used. So that is 1100 seats out of the 2399. I have talked with many people who will not go to BSU games because of the current seating. They say it is just too uncomfortable, espcially after being to places with individual seats. That is one of the reasons our season ticket base is so low. Also, being members of the CHA doesn't help a whole lot either. The way I look at it, if we don't get admitted into the WCHA, we don't get an arena or will not be able to make the arena profittable. If we don't get the arena, there is no way we get admitted into the WCHA. I still say on school size, city size, location, arena that we currently have and finances of the program, we are more like a CCHA school than a WCHA school. But we are in the heart of WCHA territory, so travel would be a whole lot better.

Hope that helps! Have a safe trip to Bemidji and I know I can not wait for work to get over so I can make the trip to the games!!!!

I know. I wish I would have gotten tickets. I went last year and it was a lot of fun, but had a hard time seeing. It was pretty chaotic where we were sitting. Apparently some people had the same ticket (seat) numbers. Do you know if the Pearson (?spelling) Bus is sold out?

No clue on the Pearson bus tour. I would imagine that one is sold out, I bet those are a lot of fun though.

Is it too late to predict tonight's game?

I think UND will squeak by with a 3-2 victory! Lamoreaux will be huge!

???

WOW! You're good!

You take classes from The Amazing Karnack? :angry:

That was a great game to be at. We were stuffed in the Glas like sardines. The guys made me nervous for a while in the 3rd, but then picked it up again.

Last night's game was fun to watch, I thought the arena wasn't as full as last season. I saw Dirty sitting down the row from me.

it was fun. we were about three or four rows down from Dirty and then across the aisle. We were the loud ones by the football recruits on the benchs that everyone around us was getting annoyed with.

it was fun. we were about three or four rows down from Dirty and then across the aisle. We were the loud ones by the football recruits on the benchs that everyone around us was getting annoyed with.

I was thinking about coming down with you guys, but you had crappy seats and there were a couple of cool guys next to me. :D