SiouxSports.com Forum

Would UND drop football to offset DI costs?

MplsBison

There's no doubt that hockey will always be the most popular sport in Grand Forks and at UND. They have their Taj Mahal in the Engelstad complex. No one can compete with that. And it's on campus.

And basketball can certainly use that when they need and also the other smaller Engelstad arena.

Seems like with those facilities, UND could become a mid major basketball power and continue to be one of the top national DI hockey teams.

Those typs of things do take money. Lots of it.

The Alerus is off campus and when UND hosted the 1st round of the playoffs, they only drew 5000 fans.

Is there any possibility that UND could add quality to the other programs by cutting the football team?

There's no doubt that hockey will always be the most popular sport in Grand Forks and at UND. They have their Taj Mahal in the Engelstad complex. No one can compete with that. And it's on campus.

And basketball can certainly use that when they need and also the other smaller Engelstad arena.

Seems like with those facilities, UND could become a mid major basketball power and continue to be one of the top national DI hockey teams.

Those typs of things do take money. Lots of it.

The Alerus is off campus and when UND hosted the 1st round of the playoffs, they only drew 5000 fans.

Is there any possibility that UND could add quality to the other programs by cutting the football team?

Football alums were the biggest dI proponents. There is no way--I repeat, no way UND would ever consider dropping football.

The 5000 attendance figure from the playoff game is a non-issue. People generally don't show up for games when they expect a blowout. Hence, the 1000 people NDSU had for its men's basketball game vs. Southwest State last night.

Football alums were the biggest dI proponents. There is no way--I repeat, no way UND would ever consider dropping football.

The 5000 attendance figure from the playoff game is a non-issue. People generally don't show up for games when they expect a blowout. Hence, the 1000 people NDSU had for its men's basketball game vs. Southwest State last night.

Hockey has not always been the most popular sport at UND. Hasn't even always been the most popular winter sport at UND. There were many years when you would have better attendence at a MBB than the hockey game. When UND MBB was at its best and UND hockey was rebuilding, the attendence was different. Having said that, UND hockey gets more non-UND support than any other sport and you could certainly crown hockey as king based on that. When UND hockey is winning, the Ralph will be full. When UND MBB improves, it will increase attendence for MBB and WBB. WBB should compete well in D1 from day one based on the quaility of young kids they have in the program already. Crowds should improve with better competition as UND 92,96 pointed out.

UND wouldn't drop Football any more than the AC would. It would hurt the overall experience of attending UND. No reason to even waste time discussing it. There is enough $$$ from UND alumni to support whatever UND decides to do in athletics. UND will have to work hard to get it but it will certainly be there for FB and should be there for any of the D1 sports that can be successful. The community of GF-EGF does not have the same ability to support UND as our Fargo pals can support the AC, simply based on the size and economic abilities of the two communities. GF-EGF however must remember the economic impact of UND and be willing to continue to support UND and help its transition to D1.

Agreed. Now baseball is another matter. If (big if) the Big Sky were to come calling, baseball would be dropped in a nano-second. And who can be sure that hockey will be king from now to eternity? Basketball was king in the mid to late 70's, and I'd say was on par to hockey in the early 90's during the Vonesh-Gulseth years...

Don't forget they only had 600 for their last women's game too. If you don't have a good team, if you don't have an exciting team to watch, or if your playing a team that has no appeal, it doesn't matter if you are DI, DII, or NAIA, people don't come. The Bison are finding that out this year. The problem isn't necessarily what division you play in. You would think the Bison would sell out for all their men's games with the excitement they say they have for men's basketball right now. Weren't finding out that isn't true. Even though hockey probably takes fans and money away from an increased following in basketball, we still have a great basketball tradition. Overall our men's and womens basketball teams as a whole have a stronger history than NDSU. Their tradition is bascially just with the womens team. Our men's team has a long and storied tradition. The only aspect that could hurt the potential of basketball is the size of Grand Forks and the strong following of hockey. Fargo probably has a better chance to grow their basketball than we do. Grand Forks can support both programs thou.

I guess my point is that UND is not a football school the way Montana or NDSU are. They didn't need to move DI to keep their main sport doing what it has been doing for a while now.

But since they are moving DI, I was just thinking that would be a way to help basketball reach a Gonzaga type level.

I guess my point is that UND is not a football school the way Montana or NDSU are. They didn't need to move DI to keep their main sport doing what it has been doing for a while now.

But since they are moving DI, I was just thinking that would be a way to help basketball reach a Gonzaga type level.

There are many that agree with you, that's why it took four years too long to get this done.

Don't forget they only had 600 for their last women's game too. If you don't have a good team, if you don't have an exciting team to watch, or if your playing a team that has no appeal, it doesn't matter if you are DI, DII, or NAIA, people don't come. The Bison are finding that out this year. The problem isn't necessarily what division you play in. You would think the Bison would sell out for all their men's games with the excitement they say they have for men's basketball right now. Weren't finding out that isn't true. Even though hockey probably takes fans and money away from an increased following in basketball, we still have a great basketball tradition. Overall our men's and womens basketball teams as a whole have a stronger history than NDSU. Their tradition is bascially just with the womens team. Our men's team has a long and storied tradition. The only aspect that could hurt the potential of basketball is the size of Grand Forks and the strong following of hockey. Fargo probably has a better chance to grow their basketball than we do. Grand Forks can support both programs thou.

UND would never drop football with the DI move; never. In fact, give them 5 years and they'll be beating Bison ass again. Just like the old days. Lets see, where is that nickel again..........................Oh yeah, right here in GF.

Bisonville is the place for your little cheap shots at UND pal. Not here.

With the recruiting NDSU is getting, I doubt you will be kicking our ass in 5 years. But, as hard as it is to say, NDSU and UND will be very competitive like UM and MSU are, and going back and forth every year. That is a rivalry. But the first 5 years.....I think that we will be bending down and you will be kissing out ass. for the first 5 years :lol:

I doubt UND would drop football, if for no other reason, that's the only sport that will be in a conference (Great West). As to becoming a basketball power again, not the way the guys are playing this year. They are pathetic. Add to that the fact that conferences are going to be hard to find. Forget Big Sky, it isn't going to happen. I doubt anyone is going to drop out of the Mid Con any time soon, and there is nothing else out there. I imagine they will keep plugging along, pumping money in, and hoping for the best. But I see tough times ahead.

This gets my vote as the nuttiest thread of 2006........

Finally a sense of HUMOR - thanks! An absurd thread started by a Bison Fan :lol: (YOU WISH we'd drop FB :D)

--add a dash of MORON (ndsufreak :blush: ) and YES!! You've got ALL the ingredients for....*

* - FILL IN THE BLANK....

(because I'm "kind of" on thin ice and PERISH THE THOUGHT this thread might have been started by "INSTIGATORS" trying to make me angry.... :lol: I'll leave the responses to this STUPID thread up to other posters....(nice try CHUMPS!!))

With the recruiting NDSU is getting, I doubt you will be kicking our ass in 5 years. But, as hard as it is to say, NDSU and UND will be very competitive like UM and MSU are, and going back and forth every year. That is a rivalry. But the first 5 years.....I think that we will be bending down and you will be kissing out ass. for the first 5 years :lol:

You might be right, I'm trying to be an optimist when I say 5 years; you all have a good headstart on us. My main point was to get after someone who is just trying to come over here and stir the pot. We'll never drop football and that was a stupid question to ask. I just want the games back ASAP. :blush: