SiouxSports.com Forum

minnesota

Fetch

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what was that part that allowed them to play FSU and Central Michigan?

Minnesota committee likely won't change stance

Despite the settlement announcement, a University of Minnesota policy discouraging the school's athletic teams from competing against UND in any sport except hockey likely will stand, according to the chair of the school's Advisory Committee on Athletics.

"I can't imagine that would prompt us to do anything," said Doug Hartmann, chair of the committee and a professor in the sociology department.

He didn't consider the details of the three-year "cooling off period" as marking a significant change.

But, Hartmann said, "give us some time to think through it and review it a little bit."

I doubt the policy will change. Florida State and Central Michigan both have namesake tribal approval and UND does not (nobody recognizes the lukewarm 'no objection' resolution from Spirit Lake). Also, FSU and CMU have NCAA exemptions, while UND only has a reprieve.

And I've not seen anywhere where FSU and Central Michigan are approved teams for the UofM.

The 2003 advisory policy discourages Minnesota's athletics department from competing against all teams with American Indian mascots and nicknames. The policy wasn't strictly enforced until last year, when Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi asked the committee for more guidance and was advised to follow the policy more closely.
These games may only be holdovers from when they weren't enforcing their policy. And isn't the FSU basketball gmae scheduled by the Big Ten-ACC and not Minnesota? That's another distinction.

Interesting comment in the Minnesota Daily by the University of Minnesota's president:

Some people heard about the donation from the Shakopee Mdewakatan Sioux and linked it to the University policy that allows the Gopher hockey team to compete against UND, despite its controversial Fighting Sioux logo. While they're separate issues, is there any validity in associating them?

They're completely separate issues.

In the case of the NCAA's dispute with the University of North Dakota, that issue has been resolved, at least tentatively resolved, by an agreement that asks the University of North Dakota to seek the approval and support of the major tribes in North Dakota for the use of the Sioux name and logo.

We have a great relationship with the University of North Dakota. We play them in ice hockey by a prior contractual agreement.

We schedule our athletic events years in advance and I know we'll play the University of North Dakota sometime in the next few years in some sports, I'm sure of that.

We'll get this issue resolved.

U policy on UND mascot standsMiller said the Fighting Sioux image is a hurtful appropriation of an identity for the purposes of non-native people.
Yes, someone else definitely owns the word Sioux fof the purposes of a University nickname. But its in the public domain for the name of a city. Or a county. And for that matter, if some stripper wants to call herself "Dirty Sioux" then nobody could prevent her from doing that.

But a hockey team? Now that's hurtful and a "harmful appropriation".