SiouxSports.com Forum

December 7, 1941

SiouxMD

I wonder what the response would have been to the attack and the subsequent military response of the US if we had today's press covering the president and the defense secretary....Remember, the japanese kicked the s&!t out of the US at Pearl, wipe us out in Philipines, and subsequently snuffed out the british and the austrailians at singapore, indonesia, etc.. I would imagine we would be looking for an exit strategy pretty quickly....Its sickening to see how our country has changed for the worse and how we have become so apathetic of a country in just 60 years...

Bobiwabuchifan

I wonder what the response would have been to the attack and the subsequent military response of the US if we had today's press covering the president and the defense secretary....Remember, the japanese kicked the s&!t out of the US at Pearl, wipe us out in Philipines, and subsequently snuffed out the british and the austrailians at singapore, indonesia, etc.. I would imagine we would be looking for an exit strategy pretty quickly....Its sickening to see how our country has changed for the worse and how we have become so apathetic of a country in just 60 years...

Bobiwabuchifan

I echo your thoughts as to the state of the country today and especially the media. I just came back from NAS Pensacola and saw flags flying at half-staff and our young people training and got a lump in my throat. Thank God we still have people willing to put their lives on the line for this country.

Bobiwabuchifan

You are an idiot. Respect our fallen heroes.

You are an idiot. Respect our fallen heroes.

I don't see where Bobiwabuchifan states anywhere that he doesn't respect our fallen heroes. I think he's just making a statement of how much we've(USA) become wimps, because of politics. If we didn't have to be so politcally correct, we wouldn't have the problems we have today in the Middle East. They(Middle East) think we are a bunch of wimps, that's why they can make the threats they do.

Correct me if I wrong Bobiwabuchifan.

I don't see where Bobiwabuchifan states anywhere that he doesn't respect our fallen heroes. I think he's just making a statement of how much we've(USA) become wimps, because of politics. If we didn't have to be so politcally correct, we wouldn't have the problems we have today in the Middle East. They(Middle East) think we are a bunch of wimps, that's why they can make the threats they do.

Correct me if I wrong Bobiwabuchifan.

How can you possibly compare the two wars?

How can you possibly compare the two wars?

Dude,

You been smoking wacky weed lately? What in the hell are you talking about? I was commenting on how our country has become to sensitive and politically correct...Given today's media's coverage of Iraq and the middle east, if you were to have these people cover WWII we would have the public demanding an exit strategy for the US even after we took Iowa Jima! How do you get off on saying I'm disrespecting the fallen heros? Christ man, wake up! I wasn't even comparing the two wars? One more hit on the crack pipe stu and thats it for you!

BobIwabuchiFan

My Dad was playing in a high school basketball game in Morris MN when they made an announcement about the attack over the speakers.

Not to nitpick here, but they played high school basketball on Sunday afternoon in 1941? (Or was it the announcement that Congress had formally declared war, which happened on the 8th?)

I had the privilege of visiting Pearl Harbor National Memorial last August. I would encourage ANYONE who goes to Oahu to make the pilgrimage, pay respect to our honored dead, and ponder the fate of our past, present and future freedoms. (Then go enjoy the beautiful island.)

Not to nitpick here, but they played high school basketball on Sunday afternoon in 1941? (Or was it the announcement that Congress had formally declared war, which happened on the 8th?)

I had the privilege of visiting Pearl Harbor National Memorial last August. I would encourage ANYONE who goes to Oahu to make the pilgrimage, pay respect to our honored dead, and ponder the fate of our past, present and future freedoms. (Then go enjoy the beautiful island.)

Fair question. I once asked him where he was when he heard about it and that's what he told me.

I wish that I could go see it! I have studied bits of that part in history and would love to learn more. One of the reasons that the movie about Pearl Harbor drives me nuts is that they messed up President Roosevelt's speech in it. In my mind, if you are going to make a movie, at least get the speech right!

My husband and I visited Pearl Harbor in January. I also would recommend people to take the time to see it. It is an experience that I will never forget. Although the attack happened long before I was born, to see the oil from the ship still seeping to the surface gave me a feeling I cannot explain. You are there, standing above something that holds the bodies of many fallen soldiers.

A strange thing that happened there...right after we got off the ferry from seeing the memorial, my husbands cell phone rang. It was a call from a rodeo buddy of his. He said he just thought he had to call and check in with us, since we they hadnt talked for a while. Tom told him we were at the Pearl Harbor Memorial, and at that time, Jerry told him that he had arrived at Pearl Harbor on December 8, 1941, for all of the after bombing clean-up and repairs. He said Pearl Harbor is something that he will never forget.

Neither will I.

God Bless all those who served at Pearl Harbor.

I forgot to add...I feel we are fighting those apathetic forces today when we stand up for the nickname and the true intentions of the people supporting it...maybe by winning this battle we get a little bit more like the greatest generation who fought and won WWII.

BobIwabuchiFan

I'm a Sioux nickname supporter but your analogy is, frankly, STUPID. They were fighting against facist forces trying to take over the world. This is about a college sports name...if it makes you feel better about yourself...GREAT! I think it disgraces WWII veterans to lower their sacrifice to the level of "we're also fighting for our college!" ;) You really need some perspective here... :angry:

I'm a Sioux nickname supporter but your analogy is, frankly, STUPID. They were fighting against facist forces trying to take over the world. This is about a college sports name...if it makes you feel better about yourself...GREAT! I think it disgraces WWII veterans to lower their sacrifice to the level of "we're also fighting for our college!" ;) You really need some perspective here... :angry:

Wow, I think you need to go read my reply again and understand what apathetic means....I never compared the fight for saving the world to the fight for the nickname. I basically stated how apathetic our country has become since we fought in WWII and we can shake some of the apathy by continuing our fight for what we feel is right (e.g. The opposite of an apathetic response to the nickname).

Thanks for your biased feedback... ;)

BobIwabuchiFan

Fair question. I once asked him where he was when he heard about it and that's what he told me.

In the days before CNN and internet blogs...I would guess it took at least a day for information (no matter how important) to travel from Hawaii to DC to Minnesota.

In the days before CNN and internet blogs...I would guess it took at least a day for information (no matter how important) to travel from Hawaii to DC to Minnesota.

In FDR's famous speech, he refers to the attack that occured yesterday (Dec. 7), but I would still think that even the print media would have stories on December 8. Next time I'm at the Naval Aviation Museum, I'll check out some of the newspaper headlines.

Dude,

You been smoking wacky weed lately? What in the hell are you talking about? I was commenting on how our country has become to sensitive and politically correct...Given today's media's coverage of Iraq and the middle east, if you were to have these people cover WWII we would have the public demanding an exit strategy for the US even after we took Iowa Jima! How do you get off on saying I'm disrespecting the fallen heros? Christ man, wake up! I wasn't even comparing the two wars? One more hit on the crack pipe stu and thats it for you!

BobIwabuchiFan

Iowa Jima, huh? What did they do, make Dubuque a double-freedom zone, then?

What's wrong with demanding an exit stategy from a war in which we had no right entering unless...oh wait - I like your style BobIwabuchiFan. You think we should invade Saudi Arabia! Hard to disagree, seeing how they had the most suicide bombers on the planes that hit the WTCs and Pentagon.

Have fun killing babies.