SiouxSports.com Forum

Another NCAA lawsuit?

PCM

The NCAA likes to say that how it's handled the American Indian nickname issue isn't any different than how it's handled the Confederate flag issue. Soon, there might be more similarities than the NCAA anticipated. According to this blog at SportsFan Magazine, the Sons of Confederate Veterans are thinking about taking the NCAA to court over that issue as well.

I've written several times about various universities suing the NCAA over its ruling that schools cannot participate in NCAA championship events/tournaments with nicknames that might be offensive to Native Americans. You know where I stand on that issue and you know that I'm rooting for the University of North Dakota to win big in the current legal tussle. Lesser publicized is a potential action that may be brought against the NCAA on anti-trust grounds by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. This organization is sort of like the mirror image of the Daughters of the American Revolution; its membership consists of male descendants of people who served in the Confederate forces in the Civil War.

Frankly, I'm not sure I would want to be tied in, directly or not, with this organization "SCV". All we'd need is a bunch of skinhead and KKK freaks protesting the NC$$ wearing Sioux garb. :silly::ohmy:
I agree. I find it truly offensive that these jackasses would feel anything other than shame for having ancestors that took up arms against their own countrymen (for the purpose of 'protecting' slavery, no less).

I'm not studied enough on the subject to try and portray this opinion as authoritative, but I would suggest the majority of Confederate soldiers didn't care much about slavery at all. What they did rally around was the whole state's rights cause, from which naturally the rich landowners would benefit. I also believe that the North invaded the South in order to defeat succession. Many southerners would likely rally to their cause for that reason alone. Most of these guys were poor farmers, I would bet, and didn't or couldn't own slaves. While slavery was certainly part of the cause they fought for, I think it's unfair to lump them all into the "slavery loving" camp.

It seems to me little different than someone who voted for Kerry instead of Bush. It doesn't make them pro-abortion just because they did. There may have been other compelling reasons for them to do so.

That said, I still don't know exactly where I stand on official government buildings, etc, flying the confederate flag. I don't have much of an issue with private use, but am not sure if that's appropriate on an official basis.

Ostensibly, the Civil War, or "the War of Northern Aggression" as the natives call it around here, was concerned with states' rights, economic differences between north and south, etc. However, waving around the Southern Cross isn't likely to provoke debates about industrialization or federalism, so much as create hot-button issues related to race, slavery, etc. Regardless of what the SCV and NC$$ think, UND's battle has nothing to do with Confederate "ideals" or the Stars 'n Bars.

Frankly, I'm not sure I would want to be tied in, directly or not, with this organization "SCV". All we'd need is a bunch of skinhead and KKK freaks protesting the NC$$ wearing Sioux garb. :silly::huh:

I had to laugh at the image that popped up in my head. Can you imagine the media frenzy if that were to happen? :ohmy:

That said, I still don't know exactly where I stand on official government buildings, etc, flying the confederate flag. I don't have much of an issue with private use, but am not sure if that's appropriate on an official basis.

Keep in mind that the NCAA policy prohibits post-season play in the entire state of South Carolina because the STATE flies the confederate flag at the STATE CAPITOL (I think they recently moved the flag from the Capitol Dome to a monument on Capitol grounds, but that was not good enough for the NCAA, which wants it removed entirely).

The NCAA policy has nothing to do with member schools in South Carolina. For example, the University of South Carolina can't host any playoffs even though the school doesn't even fly the flag on campus or at the proposed sporting venue. Therefore, the NCAA's own member schools are being punished for a policy beyond their control. I don't know how anyone can defend this rediculous policy regardless of how they feel about the confederate flag issue. This is pure social engineering that has absolutely NO relation to athletics.

Let's not get sucked into the debate about whether the State of South Carolina should fly the confederate flag. That's exactly what the NCAA wants people to do. We should focus on the fact that the Executive Committee exceeded its authority. Personally, I think the issue has nothing to do with the NCAA or college athletics and the NCAA should butt-out. But if they insist on their social engineering quest, they should at least have to have approval and formal legislation from full membership before they enact such a policy.

The NCAA likes to say that how it's handled the American Indian nickname issue isn't any different than how it's handled the Confederate flag issue. Soon, there might be more similarities than the NCAA anticipated. According to this blog at SportsFan Magazine, the Sons of Confederate Veterans are thinking about taking the NCAA to court over that issue as well.

From a practical standpoint, how would the Sons of Confederate Veterans even have standing to bring a lawsuit agains the NCAA? It would be much more appropriate for one the member schools and/or the State of South Carolina to bring suit.

Let's not get sucked into the debate about whether the State of South Carolina should fly the confederate flag. That's exactly what the NCAA wants people to do. We should focus on the fact that the Executive Committee exceeded its authority. Personally, I think the issue has nothing to do with the NCAA or college athletics and the NCAA should butt-out. But if they insist on their social engineering quest, they should at least have to have approval and formal legislation from full membership before they enact such a policy.

That in my opinion is over stepping their bounds, wether you agree with the flag or not, its blatant over stepping I can't believe this has never been challenged in court until now.

That in my opinion is over stepping their bounds, wether you agree with the flag or not, its blatant over stepping I can't believe this has never been challenged in court until now.

Goon You have a very strong point there & I agree with that point. As for it going into the courts I don't see it getting any farther than the front door & that's what I think of it. Hey it's been going on for about 15-16 years give or take. Also my take is that the SCV is trying to make something out of nothing. That's what I think.

Goon You have a very strong point there & I agree with that point. As for it going into the courts I don't see it getting any farther than the front door & that's what I think of it. Hey it's been going on for about 15-16 years give or take. Also my take is that the SCV is trying to make something out of nothing. That's what I think.

Your probably right. I wonder with UND's lawsuit other are waiting to see how it shakes out before they put their hat in the ring. I am wondering if and when UND wins in the courts, other colleges/universities will start a onslaught of lawsuits against the NCAA if UND's results comes out favorable for them? I presonally hope it does so the NCAA gets slapped down, then the NCAA can go back to running championships and keeping their noses out of things that don't concern them. The flag thing in SC is a travesty because they stepped in and took a states rights away from them.

The NCAA policy has nothing to do with member schools in South Carolina. For example, the University of South Carolina can't host any playoffs even though the school doesn't even fly the flag on campus or at the proposed sporting venue.

That appears to be a state issue and appears not to be fair or even realistic. How did they get by with this?

I am surprised the congress didn't step in long ago?

I'm not studied enough on the subject to try and portray this opinion as authoritative, but I would suggest the majority of Confederate soldiers didn't care much about slavery at all. What they did rally around was the whole state's rights cause, from which naturally the rich landowners would benefit. I also believe that the North invaded the South in order to defeat succession. Many southerners would likely rally to their cause for that reason alone.
Hostilities broke out when the traitors attacked a federal military installation in Charleston, SC (Fort Sumter). Yes, the Civil War was about states' rights - the right of some states to allow slavery. The Civil War was about slavery, just like the Missouri Compromise, which is widely understood to have delayed the Civil War, was about slavery. If it weren't for slavery, no other issue would have risen to the point of armed rebellion. Every federal military officer that resigned his commission in order to take up arms against the United States should have been hanged by the neck until dead, especially that jackass R. E. Lee. Arlington National Cemetery was rightfully created from his confiscated property. Abraham Lincoln is our greatest president. Ulysses S. Grant is our greatest military leader. Stone Mountain outside Atlanta is a national insult and should be completely and utterly destroyed. The Civil War was about real civil rights abuses, not the imaginary ones in the deluded minds of the nickname opposition.

On this all I can say is that if UND wins their lawsuit against the NCAA & the SCV trys to get into the act of suiting the NCAA my guess on their (SCV) lawsuit the judge would just laugh it out of court altogether. That's what I think I hope that i'm wrong on this one but I have a stange feeling that just might happen.

• 1 month later...

I've known about this since it was posted last year and I still don't understand why the schools allowed the sanctions in the first place. The NC$$ does not control STATES!!!! Or have I missed something?

This is not about the Civil War, the right or not of States to cecede (sp) from the US, this is not about the rights of Black Americans, this is not about racism. This is about the authority or lack there of of the NC$$. They do not have the right to tell States to change their state flag or face sanctions!!!! They may phrase the sanction reason differently, but this is exactly what they are doing. 'Change your state flag or face sanctions!' Regardless of where you stand on the flag issue, this is wrong!!! This is about the NC$$'s plan to become a political power in the United States. They want to be in control of citizens/states civil rights. They want to be the moral conscious of the United States. They want to be able to tell us what we can or can not do in our own homes (states) and if we don't do as they say, we get punished (sanctioned)!!!!!

*soap box disintegrates from ranters jumping up and down on it*

The NCAA controls everything and Miles Brand is God.

This is what happens when you give people a little bit of power and they abuse it.

I agree with you there HockeyMom on this one it's a damn good thing that bozo isn't in charge of NASCAR. Better yet it's a damn good thing the NC$$ isn't in charge of NASCAR.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973