SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Coaches Show

PCM

Blais said the practices haven't been bad, but the guys are sick of practice and just want to play games.

He said practices this week haven't been fun. TH indicated that there has been an edge to them.

PCM,

I am not sure if you caught it but, coach says there was almost a couple of fights in practice this past week. So the boys are really getting ansy... Basically players telling each other you want to go after a hit...

Actually that could be a good sign...

Because as Blais said on the Coach's Show, the team is on edge. One questionable move by an opposing player, and these guys could snap. However, all of that charge and energy could also be transferred in a more productive manner i.e. scoring goals and fast paced hockey with good, clean, hard checks. The team has to be excited to be back in their own rink, and after the lumps they've taken this past month, it wouldn't surprise me to see a blowout game. Not that I'm predicting one, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Besides Yane, didn't your mom ever tell you that boys are different from girls? Girls talk behind each other's backs, boys hit each other. :0

Goon: I was pretty sure that's what you meant. I'm all for intensity in practice and, of course, intensity during the game. But any hint that the team is turning on each other doesn't sit well with me.

Forecheck: I remember having a conversation with my Mom about the difference between boys and girls but I don't remember the particular distinction you cited coming up!

Dave Hakstol was on 1440 AM this morning with Tim and Swyg. Tim asked why James Massen was wearing a white defenseman's jersey in practice.

At first, Hakstol joked that they were trying to generate more offense from the blue line. But then he said it was a way of sending a message to certain players.

"We don't need anyone who's half way there. You're either in or your out."

Tim asked if James is still playing D.

"I would hope not," Hakstol said.

I assume that it's a way of telling Massen, "If you're not going score, you might as well play defense."

And how much ice time would James expect to see as a defenseman at this point in the season? Not much, I'm guessing.

CB was on this afternoon with Mike Mc. of 1310 --- only caught bits and pieces --- Mike asked about the hate of failure for both the team and for the individuals. Asked about team being on edge and fights and excuses -- CB said it is up to the coaches to hold the team together over rough stretches.

Mike's jr high son sat near JN and ZP last night at the ND high school hockey tourney and the son was over the moon -- Mike said they could've said pick that popcorn up over the floor and the son would have been over the moon BUT the son said how cool and nice the boys were. Mike said he'd heard so many good things about this group of guys ... CB said he's been told many times that this is the best mannered group of guys they've seen.

goaltending question: probably Jake on Sat. with Josh back-up and then on Sun. Marc or Josh --- was hoping to have 1 guy come forward, but that's not the case so it be alternating goalies.

Goon: I was pretty sure that's what you meant. I'm all for intensity in practice and, of course, intensity during the game. But any hint that the team is turning on each other doesn't sit well with me.

Forecheck: I remember having a conversation with my Mom about the difference between boys and girls but I don't remember the particular distinction you cited coming up!

didn't they write a book about it.