SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

Apparently former Grand Forks Central forward, and current Tri-City Storm player, Mario Lamoureux will be joining brother Jacques next fall at Northern Michigan. Good luck to Mario. There are a number of posts regarding Mario's decision on the thread entitled "Prospective Sioux recruits" in the Hockey section.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a very good high school goalie. He and Brian Elliott worked with my son at a goalie camp over the summer. Seems like a nice kid. Does anybody here have any insight as to whether or not Deichert has the potential to play D1 hockey?

Sean is a great goalie. It becomes more clear if a player can play D-1 or not when he moves into the Junior ranks, rarely when he is in the high school ranks. On that note, I believe Sean is technically sound and has what it takes to play Junior A hockey. From there, it all depends on how he progresses. I look forward to watching him play after high school and hopefully at a college D-1 school as well.

I know Wurden is pretty solid and Metz is a big kid, but I'm not sure of the other 3 you mentioned. Personally, I think Grafton will be in close contention for the best team in EDC with some really powerful offensive punch. However, I believe I remember hearing something about Grafton's coach resigning last year, is that true? As for depth, I think South's top lines may have trouble together, and this isn't the West, so McBain could prove to be a null factor. For the top three I think Grafton may have it if they manage to get some strong goaltending. Grafton's top 3 are too much for any D in the state, South will have to rely heavily on their defense, and Red River will have to depend upon Meland and their two D sensations. It should prove to be very close in the end, and seems like it's going to be quite the competition for state this year.

Why do you think South top lines will have trouble together?

I know Wurden is pretty solid and Metz is a big kid, but I'm not sure of the other 3 you mentioned. Personally, I think Grafton will be in close contention for the best team in EDC with some really powerful offensive punch. However, I believe I remember hearing something about Grafton's coach resigning last year, is that true? As for depth, I think South's top lines may have trouble together, and this isn't the West, so McBain could prove to be a null factor. For the top three I think Grafton may have it if they manage to get some strong goaltending. Grafton's top 3 are too much for any D in the state, South will have to rely heavily on their defense, and Red River will have to depend upon Meland and their two D sensations. It should prove to be very close in the end, and seems like it's going to be quite the competition for state this year.

I think you are putting too much faith in Grafton....a very much unproven team relying on several upcoming sophomores and a no-name goaltender.....yes they have a solid first line but the statement that theyre too much for any D in the state will be shoved back in ur face when they play a quality team. South will be too deep for any team to consistently overcome this season but I see the Three-pronged (Meland. LaDouceur, Galbreath) attack pulling off atleast one upset

Dakota Hocky magazine has Red River picked as the number 1 team in the state this year. They are followed by Fargo South, Minot, Devils Lake, and Grafton.

Is this the same Dakota Hockey magazine that had Red River picked to finish somewhere near 6th last season? I wouldnt put to much faith in these predictions...Not saying that these are completely wrong, but i wouldnt get to excited over them.

I think this becuase they've relied so heavily on the incredible class of '06 and have never had to push their own to this point. Attitudes, expectations, and chemistry could be a real killer.

As for Grafton, all they've really had for a while is one line and been succesful. If they can pull together a half decent goalie it could all pull together, but I think goaltending will remain the deciding factor for Grafton.

And I was under the belief that Dakota Hockey Magazine had discontinued its publication sometime last year.

To much faith into Grafton. They are good every year. Its tough to think of one bad Grafton team. They return lots of talent and your so called unproven talent isnt so unproven. They return 4 defensemen and and about 7 or 8 forwards. If your unproven players are Mohagen Lutovsky Demers or Hills (tanners cousin) you will be very surprised..

Went to the ND Elite II vs Winnipeg Warriors today at Gambucci Arena. This was a case of "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out." I should have counted how many from each team got kicked out, but I think it was around 5-6 for Winnipeg and 4-5 for ND Elite II. Oh yeah, within the first 5 minutes of the game, one of the Winnipeg coaches got a T and was sent packing. Had to start wondering a little later, towards the end of the game if one of the moms from Winnipeg was trying to start something with an Elite mom. Her kid got kicked out and then she thought the Elite mom said something to him as he was leaving the ice (but never actually went to the locker room). Some parents! ???

Anyway, Winnipeg won 4-2.

from what i have heard i was told that some scrimmages or "games" would be played on Nov. 18. i believe its a saturday.

Depends on which Jamboree you mean. I think South and the Grand Forks teams have since began to play in Jamborees in Minnesota. Could be wrong though, I just don't remember seeing either of them there last year.

Any ideas how Jamestown will do in the West this year

For a little Elite I update on the North Dakota players, I'm pretty sure the Tyler Klein(North) and Danny Wurden(South) both made the National team. I've heard Klein has been ripping it up and Wurden must be doing pretty well, good luck to both.

For a little Elite I update on the North Dakota players, I'm pretty sure the Tyler Klein(North) and Danny Wurden(South) both made the National team. I've heard Klein has been ripping it up and Wurden must be doing pretty well, good luck to both.

National team? I guess I'm not 100% up on the Elite league but is this like a Team USA type thing and they get to go overseas and play? How was the team picked? Who else from around the Nation is on the team? Any USHL guys?

National team? I guess I'm not 100% up on the Elite league but is this like a Team USA type thing and they get to go overseas and play? How was the team picked? Who else from around the Nation is on the team? Any USHL guys?

There is no national team. They pick the best players and form two teams to play in a tourny against SSM and some other elite prep teams (Team ILL, Boston Jr. Bruins and the like).

It is still a big honor to be selected to one of the two teams.

Any ideas how Jamestown will do in the West this year

I look for Jamestown to have a very successful season this year in the west. They return Welding as well as Cameron Leben, and I believe their goalie Enderle. The west this year in my opinion will be way down, leaving Jamestown to battle in the top 3 with Minot and BHS.

I look for Jamestown to have a very successful season this year in the west. They return Welding as well as Cameron Leben, and I believe their goalie Enderle. The west this year in my opinion will be way down, leaving Jamestown to battle in the top 3 with Minot and BHS.

I wouldn't count out Century or Williston, I think those five teams will be very evenly matched.

Ya i think Jamestown will be solid this year, a lot of the seniors playing this year have been playin varsity since they have been sophomores and they also have spenningsby returning who is playing elites. I would predict them to win the west

Ya i think Jamestown will be solid this year, a lot of the seniors playing this year have been playin varsity since they have been sophomores and they also have spenningsby returning who is playing elites. I would predict them to win the west

Jamestown does have a lot of seniors returning and they may have been playing

since they were sophomores but the team has been posting fewer wins each year.

Last year was a big disappointment as I expected them to do better. Zach Welding

will hopefully rebound and have a good year but I expect them to be a middle of the

pack team. Minot loses a lot of seniors but they have some high quality players returning.

Minot should win the West with maybe Williston up near the top as well.

Century has some players returning but they had a terrible season last year as well.

Four of their top five scorers return (including the top two) but between the top two they

only scored 12 goals. They will have to improve their productivity a ton if they expect to

finish in the upper quarter of the west. Again, I think it comes down to the quality of the

incoming bantam group and how hard some of the upperclassmen worked during the

offseason. Minot should be the team to beat in the west this season.