SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

Sorry, I have no idea how the elite teams have done.

As for Junior Gold. In Minot I don't think the team ever had the talent that varsity High School has had but I think in their heyday they would have beat the JV team pretty handily. Junior Gold played a pile of games. They, of course, had league games but they also played in turnaments. I know they went to South Dakota for a turnament. I think they also played Canadian teams. Pure and simple, if you wanted to play a ton of hockey, you went with Junior Gold (unless you were way skilled or something like that, then you probably played HS).

Minot had a couple of teams that would have competed with high school teams around the state. Granted, that was over ten years ago. Recently, the GF gold team was unbelievable about 5 or 6 years ago. Their top line put any high school top line to shame. Each of them had aleast 120 points apeice. They also played a heavy MN schedule.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minot had a couple of teams that would have competed with high school teams around the state. Granted, that was over ten years ago. Recently, the GF gold team was unbelievable about 5 or 6 years ago. Their top line put any high school top line to shame. Each of them had aleast 120 points apeice. They also played a heavy MN schedule.

They would have put any high school top line to shame? ??? If that were the case, how come none of them went on to play juniors or college? Junior gold is typically for kids not good enough to play varsity hockey. There are some kids who fall through the cracks, and others who would rather play for fun than the structure of high school hockey, but it generally is not very good hockey.

The Fargo Junior Gold team plays close to 50 games. They play the league schedule, but also play MN teams, SD high school teams, and Canadian teams. From my experiences with the program, some of the kids were cut from HS teams, but most chose to play JG rather than HS (plus the few that were either going to serve 8+ week suspensions in HS or play the entire year of JG). I would agree Junior Gold is not the way to go for a player who has the talent to play beyond HS. I played both HS and JG and had much more fun playing JG. My Sophomore year in HS the Fargo Junior Gold team scrimmaged the North JV team and beat up on them pretty bad.

That's exactly the point. Until the majority of high school players want to play junior gold and get in 50 games a year thats all junior gold will be, a really good JV team. Even now with the kids the "choose" to play junior gold, from my perspective most of these kids do so because they are assuming to be cut from their respective high school team and don't want to put themselves through that kind of embarrassment.

If you live in towns like Watford City, Sidney, Rugby, Langdon, or Mayville, Junior Gold is High School hockey. They don't have a choice. Bismarck, Minot, and West Fargo no longer field teams. The majority of the kids that play JG in Fargo or Grand Forks do so because they have been cut, would be cut, don't like the coach, or are ineligible to play high school. There are some good players but the bottom ends of most teams are closer to Bantam B than high school.

First of all, the Grand Forks Gold team has only been around for about 3 years, before that there was only the Stallions. I have lived in Grand Forks for a long time and have watched lots of high school and junior gold hockey and i can guarantee you that there has never been a single player on a junior gold roster in Grand Forks who was better than a single player on a Red River or Central varsity roster. Obviously people will disagree with me but the bottom line is that kids that play Junior Gold do so for a reason...more often than not it is because they have either been cut from the high school team or else they just realize there is no way they will make the high school team.

It's because of people like you that a majority of people now believe free speech should be banned in this country.

First of all, the Grand Forks Gold team has only been around for about 3 years, before that there was only the Stallions. I have lived in Grand Forks for a long time and have watched lots of high school and junior gold hockey and i can guarantee you that there has never been a single player on a junior gold roster in Grand Forks who was better than a single player on a Red River or Central varsity roster. Obviously people will disagree with me but the bottom line is that kids that play Junior Gold do so for a reason...more often than not it is because they have either been cut from the high school team or else they just realize there is no way they will make the high school team.

I totally agree having played and coached in North Dakota I have seen it first hand also!!!!!!

It's because of people like you that a majority of people now believe free speech should be banned in this country.

Hmmm this is interesting. I'm trying to think of who played high school hockey that was around 5-6 years ago. I'm sure you'd know however, because these Jr. Gold boys your talking about were so good no one was even worth comparing to. Your probably right, but I do believe some sophomores at Grand Forks Red River named Danny Irmen and Ryan Potunly that might disagree with you.

Seriously. Was that statement a joke?

Yea and I'm sad to admit it but last years championship game should be too. Even though it might not have been as close as the score suggested, it was a good hockey game where both teams played the best they possibly could have.

Lets go back a few years and include the best games played in the old ralph (through lets say 1990). Any ideas?

Grafton Report

OK, here goes - let's start up North with Grafton. What can you say when you lose 9 seniors including Paul (63 points) and Thomas (56) Campbell as well as top d-man Andrew Peterson. And let's not forget Kringstad in goal. Three of those players helped lead Team North Dakota to the championship game in the Chicago Showcase last April - their shoes cannot be filled - at least not this year - but Grafton always seems to have good talent in the pipeline and the shelves are not bare going into the 06-07 season. Zach Miller (38 points) and Tanner Hills (27 points) are the top returning scorers. Tanner Anderson kicked in 19 and Chris Midgarten 14. There are several defensemen returning including Andrew Peterson's younger brother Billy, Luke Paulson, Jordan Feltman and several others. Mike Sand is a returning goalie but apparently only played 4 periods of varsity. Grafton has 17 returning players and with a hockey tradition I would expect more of the same old, same old - Grafton looking to finish somewhere in the top four in the region and claim a berth at state. How high they finish will depend on the goalie situation and how well the defense can develop. And, there is always the "bantam" factor which is hard to measure when the youth players move up to the high school level. This season will not be an automatic re-load but I think it will be a good one for Grafton. An added benefit for the Grafton fans when playing in Grand Forks is the option of going over to the hometown restaurant (Campbell's Grill) - it's a great place for opposing fans as well. I am getting no commission for that plug.

Grand Forks Central Report

Last season looked as though it would be an unremarkable one for Grand Forks Central. Central started the year with a 4 point loss to Shanley and then reeled off a 5-8 record over the next 13 games. Those who thought Central would be a marginal team at best, were looking like prophets. Things did turn around however, and the team finished with an impressive 9-3 run including wins over Minot, Warroad, Grafton and a respectable 5-3 loss against South. The team ended up 3rd in the state and played their best hockey at the end of the year. So how do things look for this year? I don't have a list of incoming bantams but things look challenging for Central. The team lost 11 seniors including 4 of the top 5 point producers. Jon Greicar did not put up big numbers but finished his high school career on a productive roll and a stong showing in the Chicago Showcase. The only returning player in the top five is Alex Simonson, a junior forward who produced 23 points last season. Tom Haug returns (12 points) as does Cody Mishleau (8 points). The Knights also lose Kelvin Shane in net. The news between the pipes may not be so bad as Josh Ness played in 4 of the last 5 games of the season and had a 3-1 record. A pessimist would look at the Central situation and predict that they would finish lower than their 5th place in the regular season EDC standings. On the other hand, we are talking about Grand Forks and players always seem to step up to continue the tradition. It will take more than the development of a couple of Elite League and Elite II players to make Central a top four EDC team in 2006-07. If a significant cohort of players worked hard on dryland activities and captain's practices over the summer and early fall you might see a scenario much like last year - a slow start and a stronger finish.

Red River Report

On paper Red River had some potential going into the 2005-06 season. By the time the state tournament rolled around they had a lot more than potential - they were again challenging for another state title. The team had a number of excellent players but their depth was questionable. Just the same they crafted a 13-1 EDC record - won the EDC championship and finished the season 2-2 against a Fargo South team (25-2) that was arguably one of the best teams in school history. So, what's the point? The point seems to be that Red River always seems to be a contender - even when the competition seems superior on paper. For the upcoming season Red River has to cope with the loss of 12 seniors including leading scorer Marc Mihulka (53 points). The Rough Riders return Eric Meland (39 points), Jarrett Galbreath (27 Points), Ryan LaDoucer (26 points), and Andrew Vigen (15 points), to mention a few. A nice core but there are a lot of spots to fill. Again, without a bantam list it is hard to write a storyline. Red River will need to find some depth and a leader between the pipes. I would bet they will find both. Team chemistry and character will be key elements in the success of this year's team. I would expect the 2006-07 Red River squad to challenge whoever emerges as a contender for EDC and state honors. It is easy to be an optimist with the strong core of players that return.

West Fargo Report

West Fargo improved a great deal in 2005-06 over the previous year. In 2004-05 they lost a ton of games by one goal. In 2005-06 things looked great as the Packers won six of their first seven games. The highlights of their season included a 10-1 pummeling of Bismarck Century in their opening game and 3, yes count them: ONE, TWO, THREE wins over Grand Forks Central. They should have scheduled 25 games with Central last year. Unfortunately after one of those wins over Central the Packers followed up with zero goals against Fargo North (0-3 L)and Grafton (0-6 L) (Central, by the way, beat Grafton 2 out of 3). Again, what's the point? West Fargo improved but had some consistency problems. They finished 12-11-1 on the season and 8-7 in EDC - in a perfect position to make a run for state. That was last year but what about this year. The uncoming season looks grim as the Packers have lost 15 seniors. Jake Miller returns at forward (17 points) along with multi-sport performer Tyler Swanson (17 points). Alex Olson is also a notable senior forward (14 points). From there they better hope for some great bantams or kids who worked hard over the summer. In any case, the loss of 15 seniors will be too much to bear. I expect West Fargo to struggle all season long unless they pick up an unlikely load of high quality transfer students.

Shanley Report

The good news for Shanley is that help is on the way. The bad news is that it is a few years off. The Deacons started strong in 2005-06 as they only lost one game in their first 5. The first game was an uplifting one goal victory (4 point) over Grand Forks Central. Overall their record was 9-13-1 and 5-6 EDC. Not too bad for a program with no JV feeder system. Shanley had 4 games that were one or two goal losses and with a little luck and fewer player defections to the apparently greener pastures of Fargo South we might have seen the Deacons at .500 or better. In any case, the prospects for 2006-07 are not uplifting. Six seniors graduate from a short bench team of 17 total players. On the plus side, both goalies return so there is at least some experience in net. Scoring punch may be hard to find as only one returning player has more than 4 goals (Junior Pat Thomas with 8 goals and 3 assists). The benchmark for Shanley should probably be how much they can improve from the beginning of the season to the end. Same old story here - are there any incoming bantams that can produce and for Shanley in particular - are there any transfers that have taken up residence? Gotta love the game because it will most likely be a challenging season.

Could anybody tell me if they think Devils Lake will come back for a good showing this season? They did a good job last year to make it to state, and I thought they played well while they were there. I think they did a good job in the first round against Fargo South, even though they lost. Hopefully Danny Groves, a junior this year, will come back with a boost in his confidence and do well between the pipes.

GO SATANS!! (Firebirds)

Could anybody tell me if they think Devils Lake will come back for a good showing this season? They did a good job last year to make it to state, and I thought they played well while they were there. I think they did a good job in the first round against Fargo South, even though they lost. Hopefully Danny Groves, a junior this year, will come back with a boost in his confidence and do well between the pipes.

GO SATANS!! (Firebirds)

Devils Lake will be a mid of the pack team. It's hard to compete with Red River, South, and Grafton unless you've got some special players. It's nice to see you have support for your team but, is there any chance you can change your name to DannyGrovesMamma? haha.

Devils Lake will be a mid of the pack team. It's hard to compete with Red River, South, and Grafton unless you've got some special players. It's nice to see you have support for your team but, is there any chance you can change your name to DannyGrovesMamma? haha.

No, but I could change it to DannyGrovesMamma'sfriend! ;)

Anyway, I think Danny is the best guy they have had in net for quite sometime. Maybe since Bill Halgren in the mid 70's. (although I have to admit, I'm saying that on hear-say info. I'm MUCH too young to remember that!) :D

No comments Sioux-cia.

Devils Lake Report

Last season Devils Lake finished with a 13-9-2 record and 11-4-1 in the west. On the positive side they beat Bismarck High twice, tied Grafton in their second meeting, and lost to Minot three times by one goal. On the negative they also lost to Jamestown and Fargo North. They did play good hockey down the stretch to make it to state and were respectable against Fargo South and only lost by one to Minot. This squad only loses 4 seniors - that's good. However, there will only be five seniors on this years squad and senior leadership can be critical in big games. Just the same there were six sophomores who had a lot of playing time last year and they should add a lot of leadership to the team as juniors this year. On the offensive side the club returns Kyle Everson (29 points), Jorey Heit (22 points) and Mark Henke (19 points) - that is a reasonably good nucleus. In addition, they have 4-5 defensemen coming back who had a lot of playing time last year. Combining an experienced defense with a returning goalie who played in 23 games last year with a 2.65 GAA could make Devils Lake tough on the defensive side of the puck. Junior goalie Danny Groves should be a key part of the team's success and if a second and third line is developed we could see a strong showing from Devils Lake. On paper, from a pre-season perspective, I would say that Devils Lake could be a very dangerous team to face. They had a good season last year and have enough players to carry forward to a successful 2006-07 campaign. I doubt that they have enough offense to challenge for the top three spots in the EDC but I expect they will be a formidable opponent for the 4th place position in the EDC tournament.