SiouxSports.com Forum

Rare Act of Kindness

GBpakrzz

Some of you might think this is lame, but I gotta tell you a quick story.

Last week, I was whining about living outside of GF and not being able to watch the Sioux on television. I received an instant message from YaneA, who is a long time member of this forum. She readily offered to tape the Maine series for me and mail the VHS tape to me. I accepted the offer of kindness.

I got a box in the mail today from her. It contained a VHS tape of the Sioux vs. Q series, the Sioux vs. Maine series, a game program, a Sioux calendar, a Sioux schedule and a personalized Sioux key chain.

Keep in mind I have never met this lady before in my life and only "know" her from these message boards. Needless to say, I was blown away with the gesture. The world is a better place with people like YaneA in it.

Thank-you!

Some of you might think this is lame, but I gotta tell you a quick story.

Last week, I was whining about living outside of GF and not being able to watch the Sioux on television. I received an instant message from YaneA, who is a long time member of this forum. She readily offered to tape the Maine series for me and mail the VHS tape to me. I accepted the offer of kindness.

I got a box in the mail today from her. It contained a VHS tape of the Sioux vs. Q series, the Sioux vs. Maine series, a game program, a Sioux calendar, a Sioux schedule and a personalized Sioux key chain.

Keep in mind I have never met this lady before in my life and only "know" her from these message boards. Needless to say, I was blown away with the gesture. The world is a better place with people like YaneA in it.

Thank-you!

great story. i've always seen the UND community as something huge (lots of people) with a small town feel. people will go out of their way for nearly anyone. it's part of living in north dakota. great to hear stories like this about sioux fans who go above and beyond for each other. keep up the good work yanea!

i agree, this board is full of great sioux fans/college hockey fans and great people. hockeymom,LFSPRO, DAVEK have done very nice favors for me just this last couple months along with many others over the past couple years being out west in AZ. jim runs a hell of a site here and it has given many of us a chance to meet many great people at various games and outings. long live sioux hockey and great fans!!

great story. i've always seen the UND community as something huge (lots of people) with a small town feel. people will go out of their way for nearly anyone. it's part of living in north dakota. great to hear stories like this about sioux fans who go above and beyond for each other. keep up the good work yanea!

Very cool and an awesome gesture. Know just remember to pay it forward.

Thank-you!

YaneA is one of the nicest Sioux fans you'll ever meet. She's a true treasure to the community. And I say that with greatest sincerity.

Wow! That is really cool! I havent met YaneA (who looks like a great Sioux fan in photos posted on here) but I did meet Sioux-Cia in August when she helped set up a Ralph tour for me and my CanadiEn's. Wonderful woman and I know one of her sons from high school days which is a coincidence as well :glare:. I know a few others posters on here too and I hope to meet more Sioux fans in the future.

:glare: Sioux fans are the best peeps on earth!

This forum is full of people that are willing to help other Sioux fans out. I'm glad that I found this place and that I have met some of the people that I have. I've been looking for things in the past, and sometimes before I even ask, there's been a pm in my box or an email asking if I need it.

How cool is that?

I've always been impressed with the effort donated by some people on this board. I won't remember to name them all but YaneA with the decorations and hats and signs, PCM with the many journalistic duties, DaveK (and others) with the availability of recordings, and by no means least Jim Dahl and everyone else involved in putting forth this great forum.

Through this message board I've been given an opportunity to meet many people (including YaneA) I would not have had a chance to, and in some cases personal relationships have been the result. Even if they haven't the meeting has enriched my life and my fan experience. There are several more that I haven't met but have had correspondence with, and many I would expect some day I'll correspond or meet with.

This board, and the people who run it or contribute posts to it, definitely enriches my fan experience, and that adds to the fabric of my life.

I want to add a story.

Last weekend myself, son, father and brother went pheasant hunting out west. We filled out early Friday morning and stopped in for coffee at the local shop in Bowman. We chatted with the gals working and asked if who was their cable provider, if any restaurants had tv's to watch sports, etc. Judy said she didn't know but she'd call the biggest Sioux hockey supporter she new.

Five minutes later, Brian, comes to the coffee shop, introduces himself and after we talk hockey/UND/Grand Forks for 10-15 minutes, he tells us we can watch the game in his living room with him. We took him up on the offer, brought over some drinks (we found out they were to drown our sorrows in), met his son and friend, and we all had a great time.

Saturay night, Brian had to DJ a Fireman's Ball down in South Dakota but said we were more than welcome to watch the game at his house again. We brought over pizza and drinks, he sat with us for awhile and went to his engagement.

Brian graduated from UND in the Seventies and fell in love with hockey. He grew up just outside of Bowman, and has lived in Bowman since GF. He said he's always tried to convert as many people as possible into Sioux Hockey fans down there but NDSU football is a mainstay.

Needless to say, we've made a good friend. Hopefully we'll be able to repay the favor and get him up to GF to some games.

The people in and around Bowman are fantastic. We've hunted in SW ND since the early eighties and near Bowman for 5-6 years now. They are all a wonderful class of people, but the Bowman area is just a little sweeter.

(also, thanks YaneA for coordinating the jerseys last summer) :glare:

Thank you all for your kind words. I am touched.

I think that random acts of kindness should be the rule, rather than the exception. When a nice deed is done for your benefit, pay it forward and the world is a better place. Sorry if it sounds like I am channeling Pollyanna but that's the way I feel.

I, too, have met great people, great Sioux fans, through this medium and some nice people who cheer for other schools first, the Sioux second. Thank you all for coming into my life when you did with your kindnesses. I appreciate it more than you know.

Please let me take a few minutes of your time to talk with you about YaneA. A couple of years ago, I started following North Dakota hockey and stumbled onto Jim's website. At the time, my Dad's Alzheimers was starting to get more severe and the daily care was beginning to take a toll on my Mom and his wife since 1947. My company had just closed our office of 1,000 people and I was trying to decide if moving two and a half hours away to help them was what I should do. On top of that, I was kicking myself for the zillionth time about not marrying a great girl who wanted to marry me. Just a few months later, my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. One day, someone asked me on siouxsports about my family and their interest in hockey. I happened to mention that my Dad was not a big sports fan,but that he used to really like to go to sports events at Rutgers-he didn't really like pro sports. I also mentioned that he had Alzheimers.Out of the blue, I heard from YaneA. I really wasn't familiar with chatting on the internet and was surprised that someone would contact me. She offered to send me an old-style Fighting Sioux jersey that was worn by Tim Skarperud. What was a lot more important were a few kind words about my Dad--from a total stranger. I am ashamed to say that more than once I have had chances to take time for people and have not. I can't even explain how much I appreciated it and it would not have mattered if she sent me a Sioux button or Sioux key chain which she did at later dates. What was so shocking to me is that there are still people bothering to be NICE to other people. Somewhere along the line in our country during the last few decades, we have become more concerned with making money,jobs,titles,degrees,huge houses(which are not the same as homes),fancy vacations,fancy cars, and high-tech junk than we are about our fellow Americans. Our nation has been losing its' soul for decades now. We don't think we have time for GOD and we don't think we have time for people. YaneA took the time then and has done so many wonderful gestures for me that I can not count them all. Other Sioux fans like SiouxMeNow and Vegas have also done things out of the blue. One of the things I loved most about my Dad is that he did everyday decent things for us and others without being asked. Just as important, he treated everyone the same. He taught us that a surgeon isn't any better than a janitor. It is who you are inside, not what you do or what you have. I have never met YaneA,but I have a feeling she is like that too. I know my Dad is home with The Lord and sees every wonderful thing she does for people. GOD Bless You!

YaneA gave me real Taz Boy candy treats for Valentine's Day several years ago (Saturday night Sioux game at old REA). She is a sweetie.

Of course, I have many women courting me on a daily basis so I'm never surprised by it. Why, just the other day I was having lunch with Keeley Hazell, and, as luck would have it, Brook Burke stopped by to return my favorite lounging robe and toothbrush.

Yes, much love for the Taz.

Out of the blue, I heard from YaneA.......She offered to send me an old-style Fighting Sioux jersey that was worn by Tim Skarperud. What was a lot more important were a few kind words about my Dad--from a total stranger.

Looking around for that "I'm not worthy" smiley icon thing.

I could tell the touching story of how YaneA sacrificed her food storage containers in the name of Fighting Sioux hockey, but I wouldn't want to be held responsible for people crying at their desks so early in the morning. :glare:

I would also like to recognize NorthDakotaHockey. Last spring, not knowing me other than having bought tickets from me in the past, he was willing to stump in Milwaukee to arrange tickets so my friends and I could attend the Frozen Four. A sudden unexpected situation arose to cancel our plans, but it does not diminish his willingness to spend his time helping us. And today, he graciously offered a ticket for tonite's game without asking $ in return. At least I could buy him some concessions.

Another example of true Sioux fan.

YaneA gave me real Taz Boy candy treats for Valentine's Day several years ago (Saturday night Sioux game at old REA). She is a sweetie.

Of course, I have many women courting me on a daily basis so I'm never surprised by it. Why, just the other day I was having lunch with Keeley Hazell, and, as luck would have it, Brook Burke stopped by to return my favorite lounging robe and toothbrush.

Yes, much love for the Taz.

I think you may have some of this going on ;)

I would also like to recognize NorthDakotaHockey. Last spring, not knowing me other than having bought tickets from me in the past, he was willing to stump in Milwaukee to arrange tickets so my friends and I could attend the Frozen Four. A sudden unexpected situation arose to cancel our plans, but it does not diminish his willingness to spend his time helping us. And today, he graciously offered a ticket for tonite's game without asking $ in return. At least I could buy him some concessions.

Another example of true Sioux fan.

I have also been the benificiery of NDH's generosity. Last year for the sat game of the st clown series(in st. clown) a friend and I had the pleasure of sitting next to NDH and a friend, let's just say the price of the tickets was quite right. Real stand up guy and a great Sioux fan.

• 2 weeks later...