SiouxSports.com Forum

My Worst Experience

willistonsioux

Hey, I don't post much here but, I read all the time. I'm from Williston and have gone to sioux games for the last five years and went to the regionals last year. And I thought that it would be a sell out easy since were playin Maine but I saw a lot of empty seats and the student section wasent evan full. The crowd was quiet for most of the game but the sioux play had to do a lot with that. And I know that since Grand Forks is not too big that we won't get a sell out every night but you would think there would be more people then they were. Is attendance a problem or is it not that big of a deal???

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I don't post much here but, I read all the time. I'm from Williston and have gone to sioux games for the last five years and went to the regionals last year. And I thought that it would be a sell out easy since were playin Maine but I saw a lot of empty seats and the student section wasent evan full. The crowd was quiet for most of the game but the sioux play had to do a lot with that. And I know that since Grand Forks is not too big that we won't get a sell out every night but you would think there would be more people then they were. Is attendance a problem or is it not that big of a deal???

I would say that in general the tickets for sale are sold. (I think there's a few out there).

Generally except for the corners in the upper section it's pretty full. Are those student seats or are they general admission?

We've been #2 in attendance since the Ralph opened so I don't see a problem. Wisconsin generally beats us but they seat quite a few more.

Selling that many tickets in a town the size of GF is pretty good in my opinion.

I believe that more tickets were sold than there are seats available. However, some people choose not to show up for one reason or another. The people with the season tickets next to us on the left haven't been to a game yet this year. The seats to the right have been used only one game so far. Someone was sitting in those two most of the time, but they were not the people with tickets for those seats. They just happen to choose those because they were open.

The Ralph cannot simply sell all of the tickets that it wants to (i.e. 13,000 tickets for an 11,400 seat arena). I believe that the fire marshall has limits in place. It is a fact of life that all people are not rational, therefore don't have Sioux hockey as a priority in their life. ??? Also, stuff happens and some people wind up with last minute conflicts. That is bound to happen with that many people. I remember hearing the announcement on Friday night that over 11,500 tickets had been sold, but there obviously weren't that many people there. So the problem isn't necessarily being able to sell tickets, it is getting everyone to show up. For whatever reason.

I expected more out of the fans given the high rankings of the Sioux and the Black Bears. Most of the arena was a morgue well before the back-to-back smackdowns began.
I'm a season ticket holder and the atmosphere doesn't come close to the old RALPH.Unless it's the Badgers or the Goofers expect the same for other games.

Do we really need to have the same discussion about the difference in atmosphere between the new Ralph and the old Ralph? All of the arguments are in past threads. It will never be the same as the old Ralph. But if you have thoughts about ways to improve things, please bring them up.

Do we really need to have the same discussion about the difference in atmosphere between the new Ralph and the old Ralph? All of the arguments are in past threads. It will never be the same as the old Ralph. But if you have thoughts about ways to improve things, please bring them up.

Are Wisconsin and Minnesota the only teams that fans get jacked up over?

i sat in the front row of students section every night last year, and i can tell you that wisconsin was somewhat loud, minny was quite loud, but i thought that denver was the loudest by far...especially the first night, then brock trotter ripped his achilles and the crowd was more on the minny noise level. i just think du has been the bigger rival in recent years.

Those are the teams that more people get jacked up over. Personally, I think that there have only been a few nights that the place has really rocked. The Regional was the best example. Most of the Minnesota games have been good. Some of the Wisconsin games and a few others. It's a big place, it swallows up sound and you have a lot of people that are not hard core hockey fans.

The Regional was the best example. It's a big place, it swallows up sound and you have a lot of people that are not hard core hockey fans.

Been there many times and seen many other venues. I've seen Yost Arena at volume level 11 when playing Ferris State, Munn Ice Arena quite loud for UMass, and Mariucci seems to always have a pretty loud crowd. I'm just surprised that a quality opponent like Maine seemed to net crickets chirping as opposed to fans.

Exactly, we have to make it our own, except that some people look for others to cheer and make noise for them. Those people need to stay at home and watch it on TV. Far be it for me to tell someone how to spend they're time at the game when they paid for the ticket but if you're at the game CHEER not only when they score a goal.

When we moved into the old Englestad from the old Barn the atmosphere wasn't like it used to be. Plus I would say that the atmosphere in the 90's wasn't as good as it was in the early 80's. (May the Farce be with you).

If you want my suggestion, teach the guys running the PA (and the band) to shut the eff up when the crowd starts to get into it.

Case in point, Friday period 2 and the fans are getting on Adam. (For your information I bought my ticket so I could get on the refs (at appropriate times of course and in an appropriate manner)). Ding Dong on the PA went into some long-winded sales pitch that was absolutely worthless. Let the fans get into the game.

Now that I'm rolling I'm going to get on the one thing that's pissed me off for years. The last real game at the Ralph. The students, God Bless them, started a Hobey Baker chant for Jeff Panzer. After the cheer started the band got up and drowned it out. I still wished I went over and beat the band director to a pulp.

The PA and the band need to shut up when the fans start getting into the game.

Next time I'll tell you what I really think.

What they should do to help fill more seats is to handle the season tickets the way they handle the upperbowl student tickets. This way Season ticket holders would be able to pick up their tickets 10-14 days before the game, and then if they do not pick up their tickets by the Thurday before the game people could then buy those tickets Friday before the game. This way you can help out those people you cant afford the season tickets, but would like better seats then those in the upper corners. This way you can get recent graduates who are still living in the area that will actually cheer and be loud for their team. And this will also benefit the damn REA managers that only care about money (because they sure dont give a hoot about the team or the students) since they can make more of it.

What they should do to help fill more seats is to handle the season tickets the way they handle the upperbowl student tickets. This way Season ticket holders would be able to pick up their tickets 10-14 days before the game, and then if they do not pick up their tickets by the Thurday before the game people could then buy those tickets Friday before the game. This way you can help out those people you cant afford the season tickets, but would like better seats then those in the upper corners. This way you can get recent graduates who are still living in the area that will actually cheer and be loud for their team. And this will also benefit the damn REA managers that only care about money (because they sure dont give a hoot about the team or the students) since they can make more of it.

That is the most looped-out statement I have read on here in a while....You're saying that the people who buy season tickets can give the REA money for the tickets before the season even starts, but can't receive them until the 10-14 days before the actual game? What's the point of buying season tickets then if this is your almighty solution? Why don't we do that for the students as well? Because the student section wasn't totally full both days, this policy should apply to them as well right? Who says that recent graduates are the only ones that cheer and be loud for the hockey team? I can think of 15-20 ADULTS(30+ in age) that can't attend games all of the time that can and generally do cheer louder and longer than the students. Win, Lose, or Draw. That would put your "plan" to shame. Quit assuming that students are what make the crowd tick. They help, yes. But the general public needs the students as much as the students need the general public. Come to your senses please. Your policy is extremely flawed.