SiouxSports.com Forum

"Force of the North" marketing

airmail

A recent discussion on Tim & Swyg's show brought up the fact that the hard marketing of the "Force of the North" could possibly be leading to a name change to the same. At the time, I dismissed it entirely. After seeing it at the hockey games recently, (hockey never having to have a slogan to advertise) I've begun thinking differently.

Anyone else think there's more afoot than just a catchy marketing slogan?

The past few years the marketing of UND athletics has gone with a theme. Look back at all the schedule posters (FB, hockey, BB) from 2003, and 2004, and 2005, and now 2006. Each has had a "theme" or "look" to them.

This year's theme and look includes a catchy phrase: "Force of the North."

If that makes some restless, so be it.

A recent discussion on Tim & Swyg's show brought up the fact that the hard marketing of the "Force of the North" could possibly be leading to a name change to the same. At the time, I dismissed it entirely. After seeing it at the hockey games recently, (hockey never having to have a slogan to advertise) I've begun thinking differently.

Anyone else think there's more afoot than just a catchy marketing slogan?

Force of the North, I actually like it. If UND changed the name to Force, but then wouldn't that allow them to keep the logo?

Force of the North, I actually like it. If UND changed the name to Force, but then wouldn't that allow them to keep the logo?

IF, UND has to change it's name, why would it want to keep the logo? Unless from a money aspect, they wouldn't have to pay to remove the logo, but if it gets to that point, I think it will be all (nickname and logo) that would go.

What was said on Tim and Swyg that leads you to believe that "Force of the North" is a potential new name rather than a marketing campaign theme?

A typical banter more or less... but more specifically how a retailer mentioned not re-stocking "Fighting Sioux" apparel to him. I'm definitely paraphrasing here, but that was the just of it.

(insert PCM disclaimer here) :D

This is the first time I remember a marketing phrase or slogan carrying across all the major sports. I'm not reading into it one way or another, but you're not the only one wondering, Airmail.

I think people are reading WAY too much into this. I'm not saying that because I have any inside information, but only because it makes absolutely no sense.

A typical banter more or less... but more specifically how a retailer mentioned not re-stocking "Fighting Sioux" apparel to him. I'm definitely paraphrasing here, but that was the just of it.

Seems like the wrong tactic to me:

If you believe the name will go away, the last stuff will become "collectables" and fly off the shelves (at premium).

Seems like the wrong tactic to me:

If you believe the name will go away, the last stuff will become "collectables" and fly off the shelves (at premium).

That makes the Jersey your wearing to the game worth quite a bit. We maybe getting ahead of our selves too though, I think we may want to see what happens in the court. With UND making the jump to Division 1 in all of our sports takes the sting away of not being able to host a NCAA tourney event maybe except in hockey. I suppose the later could be a mute point with the injunction too.

I think people are reading WAY too much into this. I'm not saying that because I have any inside information, but only because it makes absolutely no sense.

If this were a first baby-step in rolling out a contingency plan, I actually think it makes a great deal of sense. Or, it could be a new marketing philosophy that Buning has brought to the table. Who really knows? I sure don't.

If this were a first baby-step in rolling out a contingency plan, I actually think it makes a great deal of sense.

It makes sense to roll out a new name at the same time UND is suing the NCAA to keep the current name? I'd have to believe that we weren't serious about the lawsuit before I believed that.

It makes sense to roll out a new name without getting any input from students or alumni? I can only imagine how well that move would go over.

Believe what you will, but I now have it on good authority that it's simply a marketing slogan.

Edited by PCM

It makes sense to roll out a new name at the same time UND is suing the NCAA to keep the current name? I'd have to believe that we weren't serious about the lawsuit before I believed that.

It makes sense to roll out a new name without getting any input from students or alumni? I can only imagine how well that move would go over.

Believe what you will, but I now have it on good authority that it's simply a marketing slogan.

Hey that is why they pay you the big bucks. :D

I have enjoyed reading your work over on the Hot Talk site, seems that you have been batting Johnny Hoff around. Classic stuff.

If you like that, check this out. A couple of evil Sioux fans and one GVSU fan have been having some fun with the NCAA. :D