SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking for Anti-Bison t-shirt help

rick blaine

A fact someone just tossed in front of me:

The 2-5 Gophers need to win 4 of their remaining 5 to be bowl eligible (6 wins) and 1 of the 5 remaining is at Ohio State. Minnesota is in a "must win" Saturday if they want any shot at a bowl game.

With the pressure on Minnesota, expect an NDSU win. :)

That's a moot point. The fact of the matter is that before Mason came along the Gophers had a difficult time winning games period, conference or otherwise. For the record, they're 15-17 in the Big 10 over the last four years. Considering how tough that conference is, I'll take it... especially when I look back at the years 1994-1997 when they were a combined 4-28 in conference games. They obviously have a ways to go yet, but they've come a long way from where they were just a decade ago. I don't understand how anybody can look at the program and not see progress.

Ferentz inherited a MESS at Iowa, look what they've done. Tiller came to Purdue the same year as Mason came on the scene, they've accomplished MUCH more than U of M. Did it take Alvarez 10 years to turn Wisconsin around? No. Hell, Ron Turner took Illinois to a Rose Bowl. Mason had his chance. It's time to start fresh.

So, are you suggesting the Gophers would be better off going back to the days of going 4-28 in the conference over a span of four years? This is the University of Minnesota we're talking about. They're a hockey school, and nobody expects them to be any good in football.

That is one of the funniest things I have read on here in a long time. They have been mediocre at best under Mason, but because they are not as terrible as they once were, people should be happy with Mason and the direction of the program?

Based on the belief I had as recently as a decade ago that they were going to suck for eternity, I'm thrilled with the direction of the program under Mason. They've actually had a couple of years of 4-4 and 5-3 within the conference, which is unheard of for Gopher football. The mere fact that they even had that big lead to blow against Michigan a few years ago was like a dream. Anybody who is upset that they aren't contending for the BCS has unrealistic expectations. They're the Gophers. They aren't Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, or USC. Playing in a 2nd or 3rd tier bowl game is about as good as it gets. Anything above and beyond that is a fantasy.

The fans here would be thrilled with a New Year's Day bowl every now and again, sprinkle in a Big Ten championship every 10-12 years or so. You know, like Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, even North-friggin'-western has been to a Rose Bowl in the last 12 years. The status of the Minnesota football program should be unacceptable to their supporters.

My fear is that if they get rid of Mason they'll regress back to going 2-9 four out of every five years with maybe an occassional 4-7 season if they're lucky.

I'd be fine with that. It's hilarious that the Gophers suck so bad and can't get any fans to there games other than the road teams.

So, let me get this straight... you'd rather be 4-7 without Mason than 7-4 with Mason? If so, that just goes to show this isn't about the success or failure of the program, it's about a personal grudge against the coach. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. All he's done is make the program better than it ever was at any other time since long before I was born, yet he's hated by the vast majority. Can somebody please help me to understand the reasoning behind this?

I don't care who the coach is. I'd just rather they were 4-7. It's much funnier to listen to the media that way. I don't care about Gopher football.

Personally, I don't think Mason is worth the money for 1 or 2 extra wins a year. Don't forget that those extra wins are often patsies like Temple. Nobody cares about those bottom bowl games in Minnesota. That's why the bowls don't want them. Their fans haven't cared since that first Sun Bowl and prove it by not going to the bowl games in the numbers that other smaller Big Ten schools will.

After living through the agony that was the Sioux/Bison rivalry between the years of 1981 and 1992, I don't know why any UND fan would ever want to see NDSU win any game no matter who they're playing against. Besides my bitter hatred for the Bison, the Gophers are my favorite D1 football team. I hope it is a brutal massacre.

So, let me get this straight, you HATE the Bison because they beat the Sioux (badly I might add) 12 times in a row? Aren't you, basically, hating someone for doing their job?

It was the taunting and running up the score after the game was well in hand that made me hate them.

Kind of like Lennon calling a time out with 1:30 left up 17-3 against Mankato with 1st and goal at the three and throwing the ball for a touchdown. Perhaps a couple of knees would have been the classy thing to do. I actually thought Lennon was pretty classy before that move, but I guess I was wrong. Can you imagine what this board would be saying if Berhn's @ UNO had done that this past weekend?