SiouxSports.com Forum

Shattuck @ Grand Forks

siouxnami

From Siouxy,

Looks like SSM will be in Grand Forks October 14, 15. Go cheer on the younger Toews & Murray as well as Ben Blood and others that would look good in Green. They will be playing HS elite teams. I assume but don't know that this will be at the Ralph???

http://www.s-sm.org/upper/athletics/team.a...rid=2006+-+2007

From Siouxy,

Looks like SSM will be in Grand Forks October 14, 15. Go cheer on the younger Toews & Murray as well as Ben Blood and others that would look good in Green. They will be playing HS elite teams. I assume but don't know that this will be at the Ralph???

Last time a AAA Midget tourney featuring SSM with Toews, Okposo, Genoway, Esposito, Dowzak, etc, it was played on the REA Olympic ice surface.

From Siouxy,

thats a very good idea for them to come up here and fall in love with the rea.

Almost all the games in the past tourney are played on the Olympic ice, with the exception of some of the other games being played on the main ice, but I'm sure it depends on several factors, including who needs the ice.

Every one of SSM games last year in the AAA Midget tournament were at the main rink. The other games were played at Purpur Arena.

Every one of SSM games last year in the AAA Midget tournament were at the main rink. The other games were played at Purpur Arena.

I watched the tourney 2 seasons ago on the Olympic ice. Sioux were home vs. Denver that weekend, probably the reason it was not in the main rink.

Looks like the Sioux are at Wisco this year, so likely in the main rink.

What level of hockey is this? And who are the teams, other than SS-M, and where are they from? Thanks. Well anyways lets hope the kids get a good impression of The Ralph.

The tournament in October is the Upper Midwest High School Elite League. This is a fall high school league that is mostly compromised of players from Minnesota, eastern North Dakota, and I believe there is one Wisconsin team. The teams are split into regions within the state (northwest, southeast, southwest, etc.) Here is their website, www.hselitehockey.com. The tournament in January that Shattuck plays in up here is a Midget Major tournament. These are privately owned teams that come from all around the country. These teams also recruit their players and they are similar to Shattuck in the way they have teams from Bantam on up. It's kind of the same concept as the US NTDP but a step down. Here is a link of one of the premier Midget Major leagues in the country, mwehl.org.

Ty Gretzky, son of hockey's all-time greatest player, Wayne Gretzky, has enrolled at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault, Minn., to play hockey this season.

Ty is a 6-foot, 155-pound sophomore forward who will be able to play away from the pressure that would surround him in Phoenix, where his legendary father coaches the NHL's Coyotes.

"He's a nice kid and good student who just wants to play hockey," said J.P. Parise, the former North Star who recruits for Shattuck-St. Mary's. "We don't have names on the back of our jerseys, so he can live his own life here."

Wayne Gretzky was at Shattuck-St. Mary's the other day, walking from the hockey arena to the school, when he was spotted by some of the 50 young girls playing in the summer camp program.

"He was just like the Pied Piper," Parise said. "Wayne, who I would say has accomplished a couple of things in his life, was humble and pleasant and signed autographs for the kids. They loved it."