SiouxSports.com Forum

Court sides with Chief Illiniwek

PCM

From the Chicago Tribune:

Appeals court sides with Chief Illiniwek

Dances by Chief Illiniwek, the University of Illinois' athletic mascot, do not violate the state's civil rights laws, a divided state appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The Illinois Native American Bar Association filed suit last year against university officials, alleging that the Chief's performances humiliate Native American students and create a hostile environment that dissuades them from attending games or participating in other school activities.

But a trial judge threw out the lawsuit, and in a 2-1 decision Tuesday the 1st District Appellate Court in Chicago upheld that ruling.

There was no evidence that the university excluded the plaintiffs from any activities or that the Chief's performances were aimed at them personally, Hoffman wrote. He said that merely finding the Chief's "gestures or dress ... offensive" wasn't sufficient to support a lawsuit.

This case, it seems to me, is quite a bit different than what UND's case will likely be against the NCAA. But it does show that the courts don't necessarily agree with the name-change acitivists.

very interesting PCM - thanks! Any news on UND's lawsuit? It appears the clock is ticking on getting a lawsuit filed and/or injuction available before the football team could reach the playoffs....if not, we'll be the road warriors!

Ummm. I think it is hostile and abusive not to mention insensitive to refer to "road warriors".... :D

There was no evidence that the university excluded the plaintiffs from any activities or that the Chief's performances were aimed at them personally, Hoffman wrote. He said that merely finding the Chief's "gestures or dress ... offensive" wasn't sufficient to support a lawsuit.

I thought everyone was born with the right not to be offended. :D

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall said reasonable jurors could conclude that the Chief's presence created a hostile environment, especially "in light of the number of prominent educational institutions that have voluntarily discontinued the use of Native American nicknames, symbols and mascots."

What the he!! is he talking about!! The institutions that stopped using Native American nicknames, symbols and mascots did not stop voluntarily. They did so because the NC$$ threatened them. The NC$$ said if they didn't stop they could not host post season athletic events. I don't consider that in anyway, shape or form to be a 'voluntary' action.

From United Press International:

Group to appeal ruling on Indian mascot

The Illinois Native American Bar Association plans to appeal a court's approval of the dances by Chief Illiniwek, the University of Illinois' athletic mascot.

The state appeals court ruled the dances by a barefoot student in a buckskin costume and feather headdress do not violate Illinois' civil rights laws.

And so it goes...

I have a question reagrding the current situation at UND, maybe I missed this but someone told me yesterday that the NCAA is also trying to have schools on their hitlist unaaccredited, which would make it harder for UND students to transfer and you would definitly see enrollment go down. I think he is full of crap, but I thought I would check. Has anyone heard about that. I do not think that having the nickname "FIghting Sioux" would give the NCAA any grounds for having UND unaccredited.

I have a question reagrding the current situation at UND, maybe I missed this but someone told me yesterday that the NCAA is also trying to have schools on their hitlist unaaccredited, which would make it harder for UND students to transfer and you would definitly see enrollment go down. I think he is full of crap, but I thought I would check. Has anyone heard about that. I do not think that having the nickname "FIghting Sioux" would give the NCAA any grounds for having UND unaccredited.

I think someone's getting the NCAA mixed up with the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The NCACS reaccredited UND a year or two ago, but in so doing, said the university should dump the nickname and logo.

I think someone's getting the NCAA mixed up with the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The NCACS reaccredited UND a year or two ago, but in so doing, said the university should dump the nickname and logo.

Sounds like a reaccrediting with conditions, even though UND was reaccredited.

Sounds like a reaccrediting with conditions, even though UND was reaccredited.

That is a bunch of crap, I am sorry but being a quality university and getting a great education has nothing to do with the logo and nickname. People really need to get a f'ing life. Whats next, what are these whck jobs going to bitch about next.

Thanks for the link, YaneA. The parts I found most interesting as they relate to UND and the NCAA come from Justice Hoffman's concurring opinion:

Conspicuously absent from the amended complaint is any allegation that the University excluded these individual plaintiffs from participation in, or the benefits of, any program or activity based on their Native American heritage. Rather, they allege that they find the Chief's performances to be insulting, demeaning, and humiliating and, as a result, do not attend University sporting events where the Chief performs or, in the case of Low, chose to attend a different university. According to the amended complaint, the use of the Chief as a sports mascot creates a hostile environment for Native Americans.

It appears that the Native American plaintiffs' claims of discrimination are based upon their subjective feelings and the assertion of a hostile environment based upon the Chief's performances. However, in the absence of any allegation that the individual Native American plaintiffs had ever been denied admittance to any University program, activity, or event based upon their race or color, I am left with the question of whether the allegations in their amended complaint state a claim for discrimination within the meaning of section 5(a)(1) of the Civil Rights Act.

In this case, the Native American plaintiffs have alleged subjective feelings of embarrassment and humiliation by the Chief's performances and that they find the symbolism that the Chief represents to be both insulting and demeaning. However, I do not believe that the conduct of which they complain is objectively hostile. These plaintiffs made no charge that any of the Chief

I have a picture of Chief Illiniwek at the Saturday 9/24/06 Iowa vs. Illinois Game that I went to with my girlfriend and my parents. I am going to try and post but it may not work (from a free flickr account).

Chief Illiniwek during halftime show

Another one...

And yes, there were a few protesters there too :blush: It turns out, my uncle that used to work at the U of I was telling me that the guy on the left has like 2% Indian in him and is a "jacka$$"

EDIT: I was afraid of that happening. It wouldn't let me post images from a dynamic link?

Anyone have an idea. I really want you to see the protesters...

Photobucket.com

It is very easy to use.

Cool Thanks!

Here they are

First the protesters... :silly: I am offended by "Cowering Caucasians :sad:

IMG_8486.jpg

Then, Chief Illiniwek...ummm, looks peaceful to me???

IMG_8542.jpg

Another one...

IMG_8544.jpg

To me, I would think to a Native American Indian that this would be an honor that they are keeping their tradition and name alive. Not some self-rightous (sp? sorry, kind of P.O.d) communist group et. al. NC$$ that is and has brought this climate upon everyone.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again...Political Correctness will kill us all...

EDIT: sorry, the first picture is kind of blurry. I was in a hurry to snap it before they or someone else noticed me. But the shirt on the guy says..."People Not Symbols." And the sign the lady is holding says..."Bad Luck Comes From Incensitive Action." And around the Illini Symbol "Stop The Prostitution of a People's Religion."

Now, explain to me where, how, why, when, who has been "Prostituting" a peoples religion?:D?;)?;) The only "Prostituting" I see is from the NC$$ cronies (et.al Communist organization).

WildSioux- I can't understand why that protestor would try to make a point while trying to get rid of a harsh stereotype (according to him) by making one out of the race of the people that made that decision. Isn't that hypocritical?

That would be like a person of color calling a caucasian person a derogatory name while protesting the harm of being called the "N" word. Yeah, the "N" word is a bad name to call any person colored or not, but calling me a derogatory name makes you the racist or insensitive person just the same!

WildSioux- I can't understand why that protestor would try to make a point while trying to get rid of a harsh stereotype (according to him) by making one out of the race of the people that made that decision. Isn't that hypocritical?

That would be like a person of color calling a caucasian person a derogatory name while protesting the harm of being called the "N" word. Yeah, the "N" word is a bad name to call any person colored or not, but calling me a derogatory name makes you the racist or insensitive person just the same!

Exactly...just like when Mexicans call white people "Gringos" or black people call black people the "N" word but when a white person says it, all he$$ breaks loose. It is hypocritical and a double standard that these people have. Do white people get mad they are called a "gringo," sure. But do they go protesting and killing? Probably not. The same double standard holds true for Islam and Muslims. It is ok for them to kill in the name of their "god" but, if other groups (i.e. Dutch cartoons) do it, all he$$ breaks loose.

Double standards and hypocrites...