SiouxSports.com Forum

It happened again!

petey23

With a little bit of luck Ball State will end up with another 4-7 win/loss record this year. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone when a top DII team beats a top D1aa team, and it shouldn't be any shock when a top DII or D1aa team beats a bottom feeder in the D1a ranks. D1a bottom feeders are, at best, equal to top DII or top D1aa programs. This has been proven over and over again, but everytime a top DII or top D1aa team beats an opponent that is a level above them people get excited. I think the only advantage the higher levels have is that they have more players. So if a key player gets hurt at a top DII program, they probably have to replace that player with a walk-on. If a key player gets hurt at a D1 or D1aa program, they replace that player with another full scholarship player.

I'd admittedly been hoping for a Gopher whoopin' on the Bison to shut up the green-and-yellow clad NDSU fans, but given the amount of smack-talk I've heard recently from co-workers, friends, and Gopher fans that I know who apparently don't know that UND and NDSU are not one and the same, I've changed my tune.

Good luck to the Bison against the Gophers. I hope you not only upset U of small m, I hope you embarrass them in their own dome.

Thanks for the cudos......the bad thing coming out of Ball State is a couple significant injuries. Tyler Jangula (fullback) is out for the deason with a torn ACL. Plus, Harrington (center) is injured as well. :silly:

Didn't I read/hear that there are a couple others out there awaiting further diagnosis or maybe needing a week to heal too? That's an expensive victory. ;)

With a little bit of luck Ball State will end up with another 4-7 win/loss record this year. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone when a top DII team beats a top D1aa team, and it shouldn't be any shock when a top DII or D1aa team beats a bottom feeder in the D1a ranks. D1a bottom feeders are, at best, equal to top DII or top D1aa programs. This has been proven over and over again, but everytime a top DII or top D1aa team beats an opponent that is a level above them people get excited. I think the only advantage the higher levels have is that they have more players. So if a key player gets hurt at a top DII program, they probably have to replace that player with a walk-on. If a key player gets hurt at a D1 or D1aa program, they replace that player with another full scholarship player.

There was a guy in Fargo radio who described this as the "haves" and "have nots" of football. He'd say that you needed to look as much at "have" or "have not" of the program as the level they are at.

"Haves" are consistently at the top of their level of play and can normally pick off "have nots" of the surrounding levels.

Let's face it:

St. John's (MIAC, DIII, a "have") v. Valparaiso (DI-AA non-scholarship, "have not") would be a heck of a game.

There was a guy in Fargo radio who described this as the "haves" and "have nots" of football. He'd say that you needed to look as much at "have" or "have not" of the program as the level they are at.

"Haves" are consistently at the top of their level of play and can normally pick off "have nots" of the surrounding levels.

Let's face it:

St. John's (MIAC, DIII, a "have") v. Valparaiso (DI-AA non-scholarship, "have not") would be a heck of a game.

When Ball State played the "haves" (Iowa, Auburn & Boston College) last year they were outscored 157-3. Iowa ended the season at 7-5 so they weren't a dominant team, but they beat Ball State 56-0. When you look at BC's schedule and who they beat, and who they lost to, I'm not sure BC is one of the "haves" either, but they beat Ball State 38-0.

I haven't been a huge fan of moving to D1aa because I feel UND is already at that level. I've always felt that if you're going to add the cost of 27 extra scholarships to be a "have" in D1aa (and you're already at that level with just 36 scholarships), why not add a few more and be a "have not" in D1. The Gophers are a "have not" in D1 football, since we already are heated rivals of Minnesota & Wisconsin, and we also have a D1 national championship rival in hockey with Boston College, Michigan, Michigan State, and we play teams like Notre Dame during the season.....would it make sense to look beyond D1aa? What are the advantages of being a bottom feeder in D1a football vs. being an annual national championship contender in D1aa? Or are there any?

1. Ball State's attempt at an easy home game failed miserably*. Given their previous season they don't seem to be on a path to success.

2. A loss to NDSU could (would?) cost Glen Mason his job. Plus, the Gophers have all but that game against the Big Ten. They're 2-2 now with 8 games left. They need a win v. NDSU to have any hope for a bowl game.

3. Has there been a week yet this college football season where a team from a fewer scholarships division hasn't beaten a team from a higher scholarships division?

* You have to wonder if Ball State drank from the same Powerade jug that UND drank from in the first half against WWU. If they did, it's their mistake. Why? See 3.

Most fans of DIA football and Minnesota to boot are hoping for #2, really. Getting rid of Mason means that MAYBE there will be an air of accountability when the team does poorly or stagnates. The thought of Mason getting congratulated just for making a Bowl game is simply laughable. Really, I don't think there is a way you CAN'T get a bowl bid if you finish .500 or better in your conference now that there are 25,000 Bowl games.

Oh, and to whomever it was that said that the NDSU v UMN tilt will be packed is dead wrong. I think NDSU will have a good showing fan wise, but otherwise I think there will be plenty of seats open. Just because they sold the tickets doesn't mean the people will show up.

After hearing all about the undefeated 1aa football team to the south of the UND I am convinced that they should win by at least two touchdowns vs the U of M. Considering these expectations does Boll have to worry about his job if they lose...kind of like Mason's job will be in jeopardy should they lose to the bison.

After hearing all about the undefeated 1aa football team to the south of the UND I am convinced that they should win by at least two touchdowns vs the U of M. Considering these expectations does Boll have to worry about his job if they lose...kind of like Mason's job will be in jeopardy should they lose to the bison.

The Gophers should be favored, but I think the Bisonies will give them a good game. They are capable of beating them on a given day. Ball State isn't a good D1A team and I think the AC coaching staff thought they could win the game. The Gophers are better than Ball State, but I would be surprised at a blowout and I would expect a competitive game. The AC is pretty good this year.

The Gophers should be favored, but I think the Bisonies will give them a good game. They are capable of beating them on a given day. Ball State isn't a good D1A team and I think the AC coaching staff thought they could win the game. The Gophers are better than Ball State, but I would be surprised at a blowout and I would expect a competitive game. The AC is pretty good this year.

I agree in that the Gophers will be favored. It will not be a blowout regardless of who wins. I just hope the Gophers lose. It's kind of on behalf of my sister. She attends Minnesota (yeah yeah, I know, but she hates hockey in general so it doesn't bother me that much) and she's always wanted Minnesota to be respectable in football. That can't happen under Mason. Mediocrity can and will happen under Mason. Therefore, for the betterment of the Gopher organization, NDSU must win this game.

It is really that simple. :blush: