SiouxSports.com Forum

Any Expectations for the Playoffs?

OETKB

UND has plenty of talent this season, but they are still a young team. I'm wondering, given the events since the holiday break, what people think this team can do this year?

Personally, I can't remember a team that has many "L's" after Christmas going very far. UND still has an impressive record, but now more than ever the spector of an easy schedule prior to the break looms.

David Hale will be back, hopefully at full strength. That will be a huge help to the team. The question is...are the Sioux really good enough to make some noise in the playoffs?

Just for some historical perspective:

2003 Jan 1-Feb 10 4-4-2 (losses to UMN, CC, MTech)

2000 Jan 1-Feb 10 4-4-2 (losses to UW, UMN, SCSU)

1997 Jan 1-Jan 26 5-3-0 (losses to SCSU, UW, CC)

2002 Golden Gophers Jan 1-Feb 3 5-4-2

What's fooling us this year is that this was almost the best UND has ever done before Christmas.

Just for some historical perspective:

2003 Jan 1-Feb 10 4-4-2 (losses to UMN, CC, MTech)

2000 Jan 1-Feb 10 4-4-2 (losses to UW, UMN, SCSU)

1997 Jan 1-Jan 26 5-3-0 (losses to SCSU, UW, CC)

Hmmm. I must have blocked out the fact that the 2000 team had the same record after the break. That's encouraging. That was my favorite season since '87. A real blue-collar group.

So, who thinks this team is capable of pulling it together for a serious run?

I do.

I also think this team is capable of a one-game-and-out performance as well.

Again you can look at history. A couple of underachieving teams go a long way (1997, 2001. Even 2000). A couple dominating teams die quick deaths (1998, 1999).

With the strengths and weaknesses this team has, I'm not predicting anything. It's a one-game-at-a-time ride and enjoy it as long as possible.

I think the next series vs. Denver is critical if the Sioux can go down there and rip stuff up I think they have a chance to do good things. But if what I saw on Saturday from behind the penalty box happends again and they keep making those defensive errors, and keep getting inconsistent goaltending they might be in trouble.

So lets all hope that the team goes down to Denver and whoops it up on the pioneers.

I do.

I also think this team is capable of a one-game-and-out performance as well.

Again you can look at history. A couple of underachieving teams go a long way (1997, 2001. Even 2000). A couple dominating teams die quick deaths (1998, 1999).

With the strengths and weaknesses this team has, I'm not predicting anything. It's a one-game-at-a-time ride and enjoy it as long as possible.

I do too.

I agree with Dagies on this one. Enjoy the fun of watching the Sioux be back near the top of the standings where they belong.

Last year everyone was crying & moaning about the team & what was happening. Anyone expect this kind of turnaround besides the players?

The team learned alot of lessons from last years season to get them in this position. It's better to hit the bumps now & learn some lessons from it, then have it happen when you lose & you're out. I remember the Sioux losing the 1st. game in the playoffs to UMD in 2000 or 01, & had to win the next 2 to go the FF in MNPLS.

This team is very young & still is having growing pains.

The Sioux will have a strong team for years. Enjoy them now. I'm hoping for a trip to Buffallo this year, but everything has to fall into the right place at the right time.

This is the fun time of the year. Crunch time is right around the corner.

My expectation is for the Sioux to go nowhere until the Goaltending decides to play on a consistent basis. My prediction a loss in the Final Five. End of season for Sioux will again be in Minneapolis for the second year in a row.

I sure hope I am wrong!

Not to be a prick, but the Final Five is in St. Paul. I'm a St. Paul resident and I hate to see the suburb to our west get any credit, especially when it comes to hockey! ??? For the record, The suburb to the west of St. Paul has the basketball team and the worst arena ever.

Even if UND loses in St. Paul I'd be surprised if they don't make the NCAA's...

I think the key is going to be able to hold 2nd place. Like said, if they can rip up denver, they have a decent shot at it. Plus they still have UMD, Mankato, and Wisconsin after Denver. Mankato will be tough, Wisconsin shouldn't be too bad, I have no idea about UMD, but they need to pull out the season 7-1 or better in my opinion to get a good spot for the Final Five.

The way it looks now, if we can pull out 2nd place, we'll end up playing 4 games in a row against Wisconsin (or 5 if we blow the 3rd or 4th).