SiouxSports.com Forum

Fullerton Still Talking Big Sky Expansion

star2city

The FSSN isn't ESPN of course, and yes it is currently primarily for hockey. But a successful I-AA football program in GF could warrant telecasts of all of its games, just like Montana & Montana St. do. Throw in 4-5 basketball games a year, and it sweetens the pot. The FSSN could potentially offer television for 10-12 additionaly Big Sky football games per year, across three states and into Canada. NDSU nor SDSU never brought such a proposition to the table. If it was so easy to duplicate, NDSU would have done it by now. :blush:

You understand the point. The FSSN is small potatoes. It will not make much of a difference. The same things that worked against NDSU and SDSU will work against UND. Barring an unexpected change in the status of current BSC membership, there will be no bid for UND. Wishful thinking and fanciful tales won't change that.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You understand the point. The FSSN is small potatoes. It will not make much of a difference. The same things that worked against NDSU and SDSU will work against UND. Barring an unexpected change in the status of current BSC membership, there will be no bid for UND. Wishful thinking and fanciful tales won't change that.

I am not in the camp that "UND is in the Big Sky". But S2C has valid points. Why did they expand to Sacramento, Portland, and Northern Colorado? To get the television markets of those areas. NDSU and SDSU offered virtually no television market at all. UND offers a three-state television market in which the BSC currently has no presence at all.

On the other hand, UND also offers a three-state television market in which the Mid-Con currently has no presence at all. And they are now moving into the market, but still, no television exposure.....Hmmmm....... :lol:

I am not in the camp that "UND is in the Big Sky". But S2C has valid points. Why did they expand to Sacramento, Portland, and Northern Colorado? To get the television markets of those areas. NDSU and SDSU offered virtually no television market at all. UND offers a three-state television market in which the BSC currently has no presence at all.

On the other hand, UND also offers a three-state television market in which the Mid-Con currently has no presence at all. And they are now moving into the market, but still, no television exposure.....Hmmmm....... :lol:

A television market exists independent of the production facilities to reach that market. You can always build new production facilities, generating population growth is another matter. Because it is positioned in a larger city NDSU's potential TV market is larger than UND's, at least in all sports except hockey. But then the Big Sky doesn't sponsor hockey.

A television market exists independent of the production facilities to reach that market. You can always build new production facilities, generating population growth is another matter. Because it is positioned in a larger city NDSU's potential TV market is larger than UND's, at least in all sports except hockey. But then the Big Sky doesn't sponsor hockey.

The Fargo market is split between NDSU and UND. The Grand Forks market is solely UND's. NDSU could only offer a portion of the Fargo market while UND can deliver both markets to the Big Sky, or any conference for that matter, as well as other markets across the region.

Do you guys know where FSSN actually broadcast? I live in South Dakota, but I don't get the channel. I have a feeling it doesn't cover as much area as you like to think. Does the Big Sky really care if they can broadcast to most of North Dakota and parts of South Dakota and Minnesota. I don't think so. UNC was added because they get broadcasted in a major metro area. FSSN doesn't cover anything close to a major metro area. Good luck with the BSC membership.

It's actually a pretty big deal.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fighting Sioux Sports Network

(FSSN) FSSN logo

Type Cable Television Network

Country United States

Availability North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota

Owner University of North Dakota

WDAZ-TV

Midcontinent Communications

Launch date 2003

Website FSSN web page

The Fighting Sioux Sports Network (or FSSN) is a local cable channel operated in Grand Forks, North Dakota by the University of North Dakota in conjunction with WDAZ-TV also of Grand Forks. The channel airs in North Dakota, Minnesota, and South Dakota on cable television provided by Midcontinent Communications as well as other cable television systems in North Dakota and Minnesota, and is also available throughout the North American continent via Free-To-Air satellite.

The Fighting Sioux Sports Network airs live telecasts of North Dakota Fighting Sioux athletics. The channel carries all home men's hockey games, several away hockey games, and several football and basketball games throughout the season.

During the college hockey season, select games carried by FSSN are broadcast nation-wide by ESPNU and others are broadcast on WDAZ-TV.

WDAZ's sports director, Pat Sweeney, is the television voice of Fighting Sioux athletics on FSSN.

Do you guys know where FSSN actually broadcast? I live in South Dakota, but I don't get the channel. I have a feeling it doesn't cover as much area as you like to think.

My parents in Pierre get it on Midcontinent cable and watch every Sioux hockey game they can, as do many of their friends.

The Fargo market is split between NDSU and UND. The Grand Forks market is solely UND's. NDSU could only offer a portion of the Fargo market while UND can deliver both markets to the Big Sky, or any conference for that matter, as well as other markets across the region.

Bottom line - UND can't deliver any TV market large enough to influence the Big Sky's decision making process.

BTW - UND may "share" the Fargo market, but NDSU controls the market. UND cannot deliver the Fargo market, or the rest of North Dakota, to anyone.

Do you guys know where FSSN actually broadcast? I live in South Dakota, but I don't get the channel. I have a feeling it doesn't cover as much area as you like to think. Does the Big Sky really care if they can broadcast to most of North Dakota and parts of South Dakota and Minnesota. I don't think so. UNC was added because they get broadcasted in a major metro area. FSSN doesn't cover anything close to a major metro area. Good luck with the BSC membership.

I count 42 towns in SD that get it or should be able to including Aberdeen, Pierre, Rapid City, and Sioux Falls. I've also heard on USD's message board that many of their members get it in their area and are looking forward to watching the UND-USD football game on the FSSN this year. In addition to Midcontintinent systems, other cable carriers pick up the FSSN like in Detroit Lakes, Jamestown, and Fargo and elsewhere. Also there are a growing number of fans like myself who for a one-time investment of about $200 bucks can get the equipment to receive the FSSN anywhere in the country, out in the boonies, or simply just where one doesn't receive or chooses not to get cable service from Midcontinent.

UND 2006/2007 Broadcast Schedule

Bottom line - UND can't deliver any TV market large enough to influence the Big Sky's decision making process.

BTW - UND may "share" the Fargo market, but NDSU controls the market. UND cannot deliver the Fargo market, or the rest of North Dakota, to anyone.

UND and NDSU share every market in ND except GF. One certainly may have a bigger following than the other in a given market depending on that market. The difference is there is little NDSU media presence in every ND market except Fargo while UND has a regular television audience in virtually every major city in ND and many of the small towns as well. :lol:

That stills covers a pretty small market. Only seven communities in Minnesota? I just do not think that FSSN is that big of an asset.

Did you forget about Arvig Communication Systems?

They serve Battle Lake, Bigfork, Detroit Lakes, Hawley, Henning, Park Rapids, Parkers Prairie, Perham, Staples, Twin Valley, Wadena and Walker.

Basically, the FSSN is the largest reaching sports network in the Upper Midwest after Fox Sports Net-North. I'd think any conference would take into consideration the opportunity to have its games showcased on the second biggest sports network in the region. Don't forget about FSSN's recent history of simulcasting some of its games on ESPNU either. Could make for cheap and easy access to a "I-AA Game of the Week" or Big Sky/Mid-Con basketball matchup. Let's also not forget that any games aired on WDAZ (like football playoff games normally are) are available in over 300,000 homes in ND, Minnesota, and Manitoba as it is the ABC affiliate for Winnipeg.

Did you forget about Arvig Communication Systems?

They serve Battle Lake, Bigfork, Detroit Lakes, Hawley, Henning, Park Rapids, Parkers Prairie, Perham, Staples, Twin Valley, Wadena and Walker.

EDIT: They have offices in Battle Lake, Bigfork, Detroit Lakes, Hawley, Henning, Park Rapids, Parkers Prairie, Perham, Staples, Twin Valley, Wadena and Walker. Their service area includes other communities as well...

ACS - SERVICE MAP

I know that KGFE and WDAZ from Grand Forks are both part of Winnipeg's basic cable. How does FSSN tie in with WDAZ for broadcasting into the Winnipeg market?

Obviously if the Sioux are on WDAZ they get it. I believe they used to switch one of those two over to FSSN for Winnipeg cable during broadcasts.

PS - Winnipeg cable means most of southern Manitoba too.

I know that KGFE and WDAZ from Grand Forks are both part of Winnipeg's basic cable. How does FSSN tie in with WDAZ for broadcasting into the Winnipeg market?

This year, all the games are scheduled on FSSN only. I don't know if Midco Cable is in Canada or not. In the past there has normally been a couple hockey games a year simulcast on FSSN and DAZ (3 last year), and football playoff games are usually the same way. If it is on WDAZ, it can viewed in Winnipeg.

Wrong: a distribution system is paramount. NDSU and SDSU can build production facilities, but they are going to find distribution of their broadcasts very difficult except over the internet to only hardcore fans, not the general public. Broadcast stations will not routinely preempt network broadcasts except for big games. With MidCon already a business ally of UND, NDSU and /or SDSU would likely have a difficult time getting MidCOn cable to agree to carry their networks.

MidContinent has described its relationship with FSSN as "a very tasty piece of programming." MidContinent Cable is in all probablity a key business ally of UND in moving to Division I, as more FSSN broadcast of DI football and basketball would be in the its interest. The effecctive reach of FSSN (with MidContinent) is approximately equivalent to a Sacramento metro area.

The Big Sky has a broadcasting pact with Altitude Sports, based in Denver. By associating with FSSN, Altitude could gain more broadcast events and, most importantly, gain distribution rights on Mid-Continent and other cable systems in the Dakota's. By Altitude expanding its distribution, the rights to Big Sky broadcasts become more profitable. By UND going to the Big Sky, everyone wins: Altitude, FSSN, UND, MidContinent, and the Big Sky.

Wrong: a distribution system is paramount. NDSU and SDSU can build production facilities, but they are going to find distribution of their broadcasts very difficult except over the internet to only hardcore fans, not the general public. Broadcast stations will not routinely preempt network broadcasts except for big games. With MidCon already a business ally of UND, NDSU and /or SDSU would likely have a difficult time getting MidCon cable to agree to carry their networks.

I'm going to indulge in a bit of star2city-style speculation here, and wonder aloud if NDSU isn't already building its own sports network. When the Fargodome's production facilities were upgraded a few years back, I wonder if they were upgraded to the point of sending an acceptable quality signal to a cable/dish provider. Maybe GoBison.com is only the second step in a larger plan. NDSU is at a disadvantage since the local cable company(CableOne) has no other ND/MN locations, but maybe NDSU has something super-secret in the works with Dish Network or something to get distribution. Hey, this unfounded speculation is fun. :blush::huh:

Just teasing, star. :lol:

Seriously, if MidCon Cable, or another provider, was given a pre-produced feed and they thought they could make money on a Bison Sports Channel, they would jump on board. This is not like the Clear Channel/ForumComm situation where those companies must choose between the schools; MidCon could easily carry both sports networks on different channels for almost no extra cost if NDSU was doing all the production work. It really is possible that that's NDSU's mid-term plan.

I don't doubt that NDSU is trying to put together something similar, but the thing that has made FSSN great is hockey. This year there are over 20 games on FSSN for just hockey alone. Add in any football and basketball and you probably have near 30 games. What do the Bison have like five or six home football games per year? I just don't see the same thing from a Bison sports network as what the Sioux have with FSSN, unless of course Bison basketball becomes a huge draw. Even then you have Bison basketball competing with Sioux hockey. I think we would agree that Sioux hockey would win that showdown.