SiouxSports.com Forum

Blarney's

Siouxman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A poster on GPL said the KMSP 9 report included evidence that bar tabs were comped in exchange for free tickets. Couldn't find the story on the KMSP website this morning, but will be interested to read it when it gets up. If they truly have evidence it would seem to step this incident into more serious territory, IMO.

While the owners actions are old news, the fact that he is FINALLY going to be charged with the crime he committed is good news. While I haven't thought of it since last winter, it seemed at that time as if he was going to get away with breaking the law. Ask any bar owner in Grand Forks, Fargo, etc. how long it would take for the city/state to charge them with knowingly serving alcohol to minors?!

Looks like the kids may be getting off scot free though.

I found the following from Howard University interesting. It looks like it could be pretty easy to unknowingly break some of the NC$$ rules. I guess we better be pretty careful what we as fans do for/with our athletes.

http://www.howard.edu/advancement/athletics/ncaa.html

You may not buy athletic event tickets from student-athletes. The NCAA prohibits student-athletes from receiving and selling game tickets.

You may not give money to student-athletes for any purpose. For instance, alumni cannot sponsor a tennis player in a pro-am competition.

You may not bring a high school or junior college student-athlete to an off-campus alumni or Bison Express event.

You may not transport, pay, or arrange for payment of transportation costs for the prospect and/or his/her relatives or friends to visit campus.

You may not provide a free ticket to or transport a high school or junior college student-athlete to any Howard University athletic event regardless of its location.

You may not provide anything to a prospect, the prospect's family, or friends without prior written approval from the Howard University Compliance Office.

NCAA Rules Regarding Contacts and Benefits for Currently Enrolled Student-Athletes

You may not provide a currently enrolled student-athlete, his/her parents, other relatives, or friends any benefit or special arrangement without prior written notice from the Compliance Office.

You may not pay for or arrange for payment of a room, board, or any type of transportation for student-athletes, their parents, other relatives, or friends.

You may not provide room, board, or transportation costs for the family or friends of an enrolled student-athlete to visit campus or attend home or away athletic contests.

You may not entertain student-athletes or their family or friends. (Exception: NCAA rules do permit institutional staff members and athletic representatives to provide student-athletes (not their family and friends) with an occasional meal (defined as once a semester), but that meal must take place at the home of the staff person or athletic representative and not at a restaurant.

You may not use the name, picture, or appearance of an enrolled student-athlete to advertise, recommend, or promote sales or use of a commercial product or service of any kind. Any use of a student-athlete's name, picture, or appearance must receive written authorization from the Compliance Office.

You may not provide free or reduced-rate lodging at your home for student-athletes, their families or friends.

You may not provide any payment of expenses or loan an automobile to return home, or any other location.

You may not provide an honorarium or any other compensation to a student-athlete for a speaking engagement. The Compliance Office must approve all speaking engagements in advance. Note: All charitable, educational and nonprofit organizational activities must have prior written approval from the Compliance Office.

We encourage you to always ask before you act if you fear that your actions may violate NCAA Compliance regulations.

May be a new article, but it is about old information.

Nothing really of interest to me.

Thanks for sharing... ???

As a hockey fan I honestly don't want to see minnesota with sanctions because it indirectly hurts the whole WCHA. That said the charges are serious, the evidence is clear, and minnesota has had some other recent issues (Lou Nanne is a dumb-a$$ :lol: ). I don't think minnesota will get through this without sanctions. ;)

Wouldn't the NC$$ have in interest in pursuing illegal recruiting practices here?

The NCAA is blind if it thinks this type of thing doesn't happen everywhere. There won't be any penalty for Minnesota just like the U of Colorado got a free pass for their football transgressions recently. The president of the university ends of being forced out while Gary Barnett was allowed to stay on as head coach. The only thing that got him fired was the pasting Texas delivered in the Big XII title game last season. Unless Lucia starts losing some more games, I fully expect U of small m administration to turn a blind eye to minor transgressions.

The NCAA is blind if it thinks this type of thing doesn't happen everywhere. There won't be any penalty for Minnesota just like the U of Colorado got a free pass for their football transgressions recently. The president of the university ends of being forced out while Gary Barnett was allowed to stay on as head coach. The only thing that got him fired was the pasting Texas delivered in the Big XII title game last season. Unless Lucia starts losing some more games, I fully expect U of small m administration to turn a blind eye to minor transgressions.

OK - so why have rules that will not be enforced?

Perhaps it is kind of like fireworks here in Mn. Somebody that knows what is best for everybody said that they are not allowed - but didn't give any thought as to how or even if the policy should be enforced.

I don't believe that this is under the carpet yet though.

OK - so why have rules that will not be enforced?

Perhaps it is kind of like fireworks here in Mn. Somebody that knows what is best for everybody said that they are not allowed - but didn't give any thought as to how or even if the policy should be enforced.

I don't believe that this is under the carpet yet though.

I do. There was obvious evidence of payments made to Maurice Clarett at Ohio State the past few years and nothing came of it but a national championship. The NCAA has bigger fish to fry than academics and underage drinking on campus...like nicknames.

I do. There was obvious evidence of payments made to Maurice Clarett at Ohio State the past few years and nothing came of it but a national championship. The NCAA has bigger fish to fry than academics and underage drinking on campus...like nicknames.

I think that the NC$$ is going to do something about this. If UMTC were smart, they would self report. I understand the NC$$ likes it when schools report their own violations.

Here's a lil' something for ya, MM. ???

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2001/0701/1220987.html

I think that the NC$$ is going to do something about this. If UMTC were smart, they would self report. I understand the NC$$ likes it when schools report their own violations.

Here's a lil' something for ya, MM. ???

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2001/0701/1220987.html

The best part of this story, was that she was senn stripping by members of the football team. They told everyone they saw her. So it is OK to go to a strip club but not work at one. I guess it is all in how much money the school makes from that team. This story was told on one of HBO's shows.

Wouldn't the NC$$ have in interest in pursuing illegal recruiting practices here?

I hope they are sanctioned and can't play in any post season play. No WCHA Final Five no regionals and certainly no Frozen Four for at least one year. If they are so concearned with a nickname then the NCAA should ceratinly pull them from post season play for underage age drinking. Just my opinion I could be wrong!

I hope they are sanctioned and can't play in any post season play. No WCHA Final Five no regionals and certainly no Frozen Four for at least one year. If they are so concearned with a nickname then the NCAA should ceratinly pull them from post season play for underage age drinking. Just my opinion I could be wrong!

Hi, I'm earth...have we met? The Gophers don't 'host' the WCHA Final Five, the event is put out for bid every few years. The Xcel Energy Center, while being a somewhat unbiased host, isn't affiliated with the Gophers. Ditto for the Frozen Four.

You'd ban U of small m from hosting a regional because a couple of players got busted for underage drinking? Wow. What would you do to the Florida State Criminole football team or Cincinnati basketball?

You two sure make it hard to hope anything positive comes out of the nickname dispute. That said good luck with it anyway.

As someone alluded to, the University investigation is ongoing. Some report will eventually be made and while a post season ban seems pretty harsh to me, who knows what will happen.

As it was mentioned on GPL, it doesn't matter if underage drinking is happening elsewhere, our guys were dumb enough to get caught on tape.

You two sure make it hard to hope anything positive comes out of the nickname dispute. That said good luck with it anyway.

As someone alluded to, the University investigation is ongoing. Some report will eventually be made and while a post season ban seems pretty harsh to me, who knows what will happen.

As it was mentioned on GPL, it doesn't matter if underage drinking is happening elsewhere, our guys were dumb enough to get caught on tape.

Com'on sagard let's be realistic here.

I agree with siouxguyinstpaul. Taking an underage prospect to a Gopher booster owned bar, not stopping him from drinking and/or accepting free alcohol and/or not paying a cover charge would be a violation of NC$$ recruiting rules. Student athletes accepting free admission (cover charge not free to non-student athletes) is a violation of NC$$ rules. Underage student athletes drinking alcohol is a violation of NC$$ rules. Student athletes giving a Gopher booster free or selling him hockey tickets is a violation of NC$$ rules.

I don't know if all of the above is true. That's for a UMTC and NC$$ investigation to determine. But if even one is true, it's a violation of NC$$ rules. If it's just a matter of not paying a cover charge, the student can go and pay it now. The NC$$ will likely only give UMTC a slap on the wrist. If all the above are true, it's very likely there are more violations tied to those listed, the NC$$ should impose more severe punishment. It's not for me to say what but if they find all the charges are true and do nothing what message does that send to other schools/students.

I did a brief Google search on NC$$ violations and found a school that self reported because student athletes accepted breakfast coupons from the motel management where they were staying-the students paid the bill later, a prospective student's meal was paid-he paid it later, a student got more than the recommended transportation allowance-he paid it back.

Ignorance of the facts does not obsolve the school of culpibility.

Hi, I'm earth...have we met? The Gophers don't 'host' the WCHA Final Five, the event is put out for bid every few years. The Xcel Energy Center, while being a somewhat unbiased host, isn't affiliated with the Gophers. Ditto for the Frozen Four.

You'd ban U of small m from hosting a regional because a couple of players got busted for underage drinking? Wow. What would you do to the Florida State Criminole football team or Cincinnati basketball?

Hello Earth I was just saying not being able to participate in those tournaments. That is what I was saying. But thanks for the insult I appreciate that. I thought I made my point clear. Sorry if I did not.

Student-athletes in a bar? The NCAA doesn't have time to investigate all of those, but it's fun to poke just the same.

Tickets exchanging hands in some sort of quid-pro-quo, that just might catch the NCAA's attention.

Hello Earth I was just saying not being able to participate in those tournaments. That is what I was saying. But thanks for the insult I appreciate that. I thought I made my point clear. Sorry if I did not.

Again, you're talking about an outright ban on the Minnesota Gopher hockey program for an entire post-season of play for these transgressions? At the same time, felons and felons-to-be take the football field every Saturday for storied schools like Virginia Tech, Marshall, Miami, and Florida State and the NCAA turns a blind eye. Should the Hokies be banned from post-season play because their QB was arrested for driving after suspension and for brandishing a weapon on someone? I know the NCAA does some obviously stupid things, but if this had happened in Grand Forks, you'd have sagard's opinion on the matter. Don't let your hatred of Minnesota cloud your mind. I'm no Gopher fan, but the penalty in this matter is likely to be greater for Blarneys' owner than it is for the players or the program.