SiouxSports.com Forum

Mens BB 2006

GeauxSioux

The only thing that I can think is that the AD didn't want to get locked into contracts for next year with an impending move to D-I. I'm sure that it is hard to get home games this year with no return for next year.

As for Metro owing us one, I'm not up on that. I'd have to leave that to someone more knowledgeble about past schedules and contracts.

I certainly hope that UND is getting 4,000 dollars from UMC with no return trip, since that is what UMC is charging NCC teams....if UND didnt....then that is poor management....that schedule makes the U of Minnesota's football schedule look like a juggernaut...

This is the type of schedule we can expect if we stay in division 2. Do you consider any of those schools our peers? I sure don't.

I sure don't either. :lol:

Arrgghhh!!! And I thought when last years schedule came out that it couldn't get any worse. I've been proven wrong, again. ;)

My freshman year at UND I had a close friend who played basketball at Mayville St. so I drove down for just about all of his home games so I am absolutely ecstatic that I'll get to watch UND play all of the teams I watched Mayville play back then. :lol: {note extreme sarcasm, beating head against monitor} ;)

And why have the Dickinson St. game on Dec. 8 start at 6:00 when the Hockey team is playing Wisconsin at 7:30? If they had an afternoon matinee game they could get a decent attendance for that game just because of all the people in town for the hockey game. I can tell you though that I ain't shelling out $12 to watch the first half of a basketball game against Dickinson.

Same thing with Jan. 20th. Conflicting Bball game against UNO with a hockey game against Bemidji. The UNO game is a game that would actually be fun to go to, but alot of people won't because the hockey game will be going on next door. And Feb 10th Duluth is in town for basketball, Mankato for Hockey and the games will be played at the same time.

If they're trying to generate interest in a floundering men's basketball program they're going about the wrong way by putting together this type of schedule and then pitting the team head-to-head against the hockey program on gameday.

The only intriguing non conference game is obviously Northern St. I'd bet that one will be on the FSSN, that is if any of the non-conference games will be televised.

This is the type of schedule we can expect if we stay in division 2. Do you consider any of those schools our peers? I sure don't.

Not to be an a$$, but right now in basketball those schools are your peers. I hope you're new coach has some decent players coming in. I really miss the old UND teams. I've also got to say the Jerome Beasley is my all time favorite NCC player, it's too bad he wasted his future. :lol: It would have been great if he could have made it with Miami. I know that all of you would love hearing Jerome Beasley.... University of North Dakota during the finals right now.

The only intriguing non conference game is obviously Northern St. I'd bet that one will be on the FSSN, that is if any of the non-conference games will be televised.
Northern is waaaayyyy down this year. I think they graduated almost everybody from last years team. UND should have a decent shot of winning that one, even though Myer did bring in two excellent SD players, you can check them out on the dakota schoolars page.

Not to be an a$$, but right now in basketball those schools are your peers. I hope you're new coach has some decent players coming in. I really miss the old UND teams. I've also got to say the Jerome Beasley is my all time favorite NCC player, it's too bad he wasted his future. :lol: It would have been great if he could have made it with Miami. I know that all of you would love hearing Jerome Beasley.... University of North Dakota during the finals right now.

I think saying Beasley wasted his future is a bit harsh. People forget that of all the major professional leagues the NBA is by far the hardest to break into.

Not to be an a$$, but right now in basketball those schools are your peers.

Whoops, you failed! :lol:

Sorry, but I don't think that the DAC-10 schools are our peers. They are simply what is available to play in our region, along with NSIC teams. Our men's bball program is indeed in disarray, however they were only two games below .500 last year, and won 20 games the year before. I am excited about our new coach and a change in philosophy. The entire non-conference schedule consists of NSIC and DAC schools because that is what is available to UND to without having to pay large guarantees. And that is why a move to Division I is necessary.

I think saying Beasley wasted his future is a bit harsh. People forget that of all the major professional leagues the NBA is by far the hardest to break into.

I thought I remembered him getting arrested in Sioux Falls when he was with the sky force from an altercation with a guy. Was that incorrect, or is he still playing with another professional squad?

Whoops, you failed! :lol:

Sorry, but I don't think that the DAC-10 schools are our peers. They are simply what is available to play in our region, along with NSIC teams. Our men's bball program is indeed in disarray, however they were only two games below .500 last year, and won 20 games the year before. I am excited about our new coach and a change in philosophy. The entire non-conference schedule consists of NSIC and DAC schools because that is what is available to UND to without having to pay large guarantees. And that is why a move to Division I is necessary.

I was speaking in terms of Mens basketball only, not overall.

Here's the thing ...

Generally the Men's B-ball coach has a lot of input if not control over the schedule - It just so happened UND was without a head coach for much of the planning stages.

Second, the ability to make the D2 playoffs will be entirely contingenet on a strong showing in the NCC. Top two or three finish and they'll get in ... for sure.

Third, a new coach, new system, new players ... a soft non-conference schedule is probably needed for this team.

Would it be nice to see K-State or Winona or some other stronger programs ... sure but given all of the off-season turmoil I'm not sure it is realistic to expect much more than this.

• 2 weeks later...
what's wrong with this schedule. Why is this different than years past? I would say most don't think UND is "their" peer. UND baskeball is horrible

What's wrong with this schedule? Where do I begin? First, whereas last year we had 11 home non-conference games, this year we have six. Second, whereas last year we played a couple of decent (certainly not great, but decent) RMAC teams at home, this year we play none. Plus, we made a trip to Metro State last year, but don't receive a return trip from them this year. What's up with that? And when four of the six home non-conference games are against current or recently departed DAC teams, are we as fans supposed to be happy with that? Finally, while UND men's basketball has seriously underachieved for years, it's not "horrible." Anybody with any knowledge of history knows what this program has achieved in the long term, and knows what its potential is. UND football was also way down in the 80's, but that didn't last, did it?

I don't believe it's asking too much to be playing several upper division NSIC and RMAC teams every year, with roughly half being at home and half on the road. Keep the NAIA opponents to a minimum. And NEVER agree to play a dII team on the road without the guarantee of a home game the following season, e.g. Metro State.

what's wrong with this schedule. Why is this different than years past? I would say most don't think UND is "their" peer. UND baskeball is horrible

Perhaps you meant to say that Men's Basketball is horrible...(at least I hope so)...where is the women's schedule??? Will it be a mirror of the men's??? It seems that with all of this big D-I coverage that Roebuck, etc has been glaringly missing from the TV commentary...the women's team has been a bright spot...it seems strange to me that there is no message board action on that aspect.

What's wrong with this schedule? Where do I begin? First, whereas last year we had 11 home non-conference games, this year we have six. Second, whereas last year we played a couple of decent (certainly not great, but decent) RMAC teams at home, this year we play none. Plus, we made a trip to Metro State last year, but don't receive a return trip from them this year. What's up with that? And when four of the six home non-conference games are against current or recently departed DAC teams, are we as fans supposed to be happy with that?

Seems the cause of the poor schedule is likely an absolutely bare bones budget, including coaches and assistants salaries. For basketball to be competitive again, some $'s have got to be forked over by alums and/or a few big games are needed in the Ralph.

It's my understanding that they are simply waiting for one contract to be returned signed on the women's side before they release the schedule. I understand they will be starting out, like last year at the Disney thing so they should see some good teams right off the bat, as they did last year. I hear there maybe another out of the region trip to Seatle, I have no idea if those teams are any good.