Rough day for Toews @ the combine

degroat

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

red line mock draft from usa today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...-mock-draft.htm

3. Chicago: Jonathan Toews. 'Hawks get an outstanding two-way player who actually had more goals than Kessel as a freshman. They jump at the chance to add a skilled center, especially with concerns about Tuomo Ruutu's health.

18. Colorado: Mike Forney. The Avs need to reload offensively and Forney gives them a skilled player with size on the wing. Little-seen high schooler could prove to be a steal at No. 17.

I put up my Mock draft last night... and I'm sure people here won't like where I have Toews going. So I guess I should lay down my preemptive defense.

I think teams will be stupid. I'd rather have Toews than every forward in the draft with the POSSIBLE exception of Backstrom.

I put up my Mock draft last night... and I'm sure people here won't like where I have Toews going. So I guess I should lay down my preemptive defense.

I think teams will be stupid. I'd rather have Toews than every forward in the draft with the POSSIBLE exception of Backstrom.

I have no problem with that if it keeps him around another year!

there is nothing wrong with that prediction at all. i have him going to to pitt in mine but after johnson, the next 4 or 5 may be a crap shoot. i also have forney going pretty high as a suprise pick, except i have the wild taking him with their 2nd pick at 17 i believe.

there is nothing wrong with that prediction at all. i have him going to to pitt in mine but after johnson, the next 4 or 5 may be a crap shoot. i also have forney going pretty high as a suprise pick, except i have the wild taking him with their 2nd pick at 17 i believe.

It will be very interesting to see where Forney goes.

some draft news from SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...otes/index.html

Still, it's interesting to watch another step in the deconstruction of Kessel, a player who last season was considered by some to be neck and neck with Sidney Crosby and a sure bet to go first overall in the 2006 entry draft. While rumors continue to fly about his attitude, work ethic, meddling parents and conflicts with teammates, his draft stock has taken one more hit.

OUCH

this draft is going to be a fun one to watch with so many different takes on each of the top players!!

some draft news from SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...otes/index.html

Still, it's interesting to watch another step in the deconstruction of Kessel, a player who last season was considered by some to be neck and neck with Sidney Crosby and a sure bet to go first overall in the 2006 entry draft. While rumors continue to fly about his attitude, work ethic, meddling parents and conflicts with teammates, his draft stock has taken one more hit.

OUCH

this draft is going to be a fun one to watch with so many different takes on each of the top players!!

So its not all rosey in Minny as some had projected, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Kind of reminds me of Erik Lindros, meddling parents.

I have no idea about his parents but there are no conflicts with his current teammates. I just read an article on Kessel a couple weeks ago(I don't remember which publication, someone posted a link to it on a message board) and one of the things the author talked about was Kessel's superb work ethic. I guess it just depends on who's doing the writing and what his opinions are because there are certainly some differing opinions out there.

The more he falls in the draft the better chance he'll come back for one more season I would think, so this is all good news for Gopher fans. That said, I'll be shocked if he falls out of the top five. He's just to talented to pass up. I think Toews, Kessel, and Johnson will all go in the top three.

i can see him going #7 but also can see him being picked 2 or 3, just all depends i guess....i have heard stuff about his parents but never work ethic...who knows, it is out there though so something must have happened in the past...jack johnson rings a bell when it comes to kessels mom or something like that..whatever....................

I can't believe I'm about to do this but.....I love how Kessel is the guy in the draft who somehow is dropping like a rock for no real reason. The guy is incredibly talented, but for some reason everyone is looking for reasons not to draft him. Much like every year in NFL draft where one player is just ripped into for everything he doesn't do perfectly, Kessel is being downgraded for every little thing. Instead focusing on all he can do, people are focusing on what he can't do. It's moronic. Heck the same thing happened to Parise, though to a lesser extent. Then again, I hope every underestimates Kessel and continues to look for reasons not to draft him. Then the Wild can steal him at #9.

I can't believe I'm about to do this but.....I love how Kessel is the guy in the draft who somehow is dropping like a rock for no real reason. The guy is incredibly talented, but for some reason everyone is looking for reasons not to draft him. Much like every year in NFL draft where one player is just ripped into for everything he doesn't do perfectly, Kessel is being downgraded for every little thing. Instead focusing on all he can do, people are focusing on what he can't do. It's moronic. Heck the same thing happened to Parise, though to a lesser extent. Then again, I hope every underestimates Kessel and continues to look for reasons not to draft him. Then the Wild can steal him at #9.

i agree diggler 110%, the kid can flat out play. wasn't it last year when some gm's around the nhl would say they would have taken him over crosby (now thats plain azz CRAZY) but he is gifted for sure. he wont get by the coyotes tough if he slips to #8.......... :lol:

I hope whoever drafts him makes him an offer he can't refuse. Why should UND take all the "hits"?

Potulny, Irmen, Chucko, and possibly Kessel and Johnson. We've taken some hits and we might not be done. Wheeler and Goligoski are even possible risks although they're probably long shots to leave. That said, UND has definitely had it the worst this off season but Minnesota has hardly been immune to players bolting.

Potulny, Irmen, Chucko, and possibly Kessel and Johnson. We've taken some hits and we might not be done. Wheeler and Goligoski are even possible risks although they're probably long shots to leave. That said, UND has definitely had it the worst this off season but Minnesota has hardly been immune to players bolting.

wheeler is set for 2 more years unless he actually shows the coyotes why they picked him so dam high this coming season

potulny, irmen and chucko is a good start, now follow with kessel and johnson and you take the trophy for BIGGEST HIT of the off season :lol:

wheeler is set for 2 more years unless he actually shows the coyotes why they picked him so dam high this coming season

potulny, irmen and chucko is a good start, now follow with kessel and johnson and you take the trophy for BIGGEST HIT of the off season :lol:

Yeah, I agree about Wheeler. The reason I mentioned him is because he's a number five pick overall so there's always a chance he could leave but he's nowhere near ready. Kessel and Johnson are obviously HUGE risks to leave. I think there's a better chance Johnson will be a Gopher next year than Kessel but that's just what my gut is telling me. If I had my pick between the two I'd rather have Johnson on the team over Kessel. The Gophers will score goals regardless but a big strong two way d-man who controls the play like Johnson does is what this team needs. A Goligoski-Johnson defensive pairing would be fun to watch.

Yeah, I agree about Wheeler. The reason I mentioned him is because he's a number five pick overall so there's always a chance he could leave but he's nowhere near ready. Kessel and Johnson are obviously HUGE risks to leave. I think there's a better chance Johnson will be a Gopher next year than Kessel but that's just what my gut is telling me. If I had my pick between the two I'd rather have Johnson on the team over Kessel. The Gophers will score goals regardless but a big strong two way d-man who controls the play like Johnson does is what this team needs. A Goligoski-Johnson defensive pairing would be fun to watch.

I seriously doubt those 2 would be paired. EJ will be with the best defender and Goli will be with a decent offensive player that shoots opposite.