SiouxSports.com Forum

What does this mean to you?

PCM

I'm curious as to how people react to this image.

image01.JPG

What do you think when you see it? What message do you get from it? What does it symbolize to you?

I'm looking for serious answers here.

Beautiful image! I see an American soldier displaying courage, dignity and honor as a warrior fighting for his country today as he did yesterday.

(I'm glad GrahamKracker can't respond to this as he would mange to defile the artist and image in his own dispicable way.)

let me respond for our favorite banned zealot...(I'm guessing by now he's on about line 556 of writing 1000 times on the blackboard - "I WILL NOT STEAL ANOTHER PERSONS IDENTITY")

yeah-cha-HEY! Why is the Native American bent over??? :D:0

ANSWER: He's LEADING you dope - not presenting :D

If this was a painting by a Native American, I know there would be tons of symbolism in the picture. There would be a reason for the Native carrying the Protection Shield with the American Flag on it, some reason for the number of Eagle Feathers, reasons for the colors and items on the staff of the spear, and on the beadwork on his clothing. There is also a special meaning for the face paint and for the things he is wearing on his head.

Native Americans love to use that type of symbolism in their artwork. Is the American Soldier a Native American? If so, I would guess that the Native American is protecting and guiding the soldier.

Also, they are in a jungle. So are they in another country (Viet Nam)? Are they fighting for "our" country?

I'm curious as to how people react to this image.

image01.JPG

What do you think when you see it? What message do you get from it? What does it symbolize to you?

I'm looking for serious answers here.

I would say it is an image honoring veterans that are native.

It could have other meaning like someone said a scout leading a native spiritually.

(I'm guessing by now he's on about line 556 of writing 1000 times on the blackboard - "I WILL NOT STEAL ANOTHER PERSONS IDENTITY")

[sarcasm] That whole ordeal was Sioux-cia's fault because of her password. [/sarcasm]

I think it's a Native American spirit......who is proud to be an American....leading a Native American soldier in battle.

Without the Lakota language that the Japanese couldn't break in WWII we may all be speaking German right now, the Native American role in the military is important and they know and understand that, as do we.

[sarcasm] That whole ordeal was Sioux-cia's fault because of her password. [/sarcasm]

I think it's a Native American spirit......who is proud to be an American....leading a Native American soldier in battle.

Without the Lakota language that the Japanese couldn't break in WWII we may all be speaking German right now, the Native American role in the military is important and they know and understand that, as do we.

I accept full responsibilty for my account being hacked into. I used a password that was easy for a person with evil intent, no social conscious, and who was just a big old meanie to guess and after getting into my account, perpetrate all kinds of mischief pretending to be me. Mea culpa! Mea culpa!

(Psst, HockeyMom, it was the Navajo language. :D )

Happy Mother's Day to all Moms!! And everyone, call your mom and tell her you love her and appreciate everything about her and all she's done for you in addition to being your mom. ???

And now for the rest of the story. The image comes from this poster promoting the United Tribes International Powwow next September at United Tribes Technical College.

image02.JPG

The red type near the bottom reads:

In rememberance of Alden Archambault - Standing Rock Sioux - December 1, 1957-December 7, 2005

Archambault was an artist from the Standing Rock Sioux tribe.

I hate to say this but the picture kinda looked like an old indian with back problems bending over and taking it up the butt by the guardsman behind him? Maybe I am too critical.... ???

Or...maybe an idiot. As PCM said in the first post, he was looking for serious answers.

I think that it would be nice to have the interpretive explanation from the author. Now that it is known that this is for the pow-wow, the figure in front with the odd looking posture could actually represent a warrior dancing. The two figures could represent the warrior of old and the warrior of today. Without having the explanation of the symbolism, I could see where this scene could offend some. For instance, the presence of the stars and stripes in the traditional native dress. Without the explanatory symbolism, it could be viewed as disrespecting the culture by some.

It is an interesting scene and begs for an interpretation. Whoops, I just clicked on the link provided by PCM and got the interpretation. Now it makes sense. Just goes to prove, interpretation depends upon the context.

Yesterday, I was at Target. Walking down the aisle, toward me, was a middle-aged Native American male. There is nothing unusual about that. He was wearing a bright red t-shirt. Again, nothing unusual about that. The lettering across the front of the shirt, in large letters, was "Redskins". I am at a loss for words. I wish I would have had a camera to show this to Mr. Brand and company.

Yesterday, I was at Target. Walking down the aisle, toward me, was a middle-aged Native American male. There is nothing unusual about that. He was wearing a bright red t-shirt. Again, nothing unusual about that. The lettering across the front of the shirt, in large letters, was "Redskins". I am at a loss for words. I wish I would have had a camera to show this to Mr. Brand and company.

Why?

It's growing apparent that this type of thing is acceptable only if it is your ethnic group you are slurring. It's why it's ok for a black person to call another black person the N word. An NA person calling another NA person a Redskin isn't inflammatory in the least. A NA person wearing a Fighting Sioux or a Redskin shirt should be no different.

What is alarming is that it seems ok for an NA or a black person to be racist against whites but not ok for it to be the other way around. It shouldn't be ok for racism to exist against ANY ethnic group, majority or minority.