SiouxSports.com Forum

Team allegiances

Chuck Schwartz

I'm currious to know from Sioux fans what you think of my situation. I'm from Western Wisconsin and grew up a big Badger fan. I'm a college student here as well. Recently one of my freinds/teamates from high school, has commited to the University of North Dakota. Not only am I freinds with the player but with the entire family as well which includes an older brother at the University currently. My question is, what are your thoughts on someone adding another team to thier allegiances. Now I will still be a Badger fan first and foremost, but I now have a huge warm spot for the Sioux and everything that goes with the program. Is this wrong? Can I be accepted as the newest Sioux Fan?

I'm currious to know from Sioux fans what you think of my situation. I'm from Western Wisconsin and grew up a big Badger fan. I'm a college student here as well. Recently one of my freinds/teamates from high school, has commited to the University of North Dakota. Not only am I freinds with the player but with the entire family as well which includes an older brother at the University currently. My question is, what are your thoughts on someone adding another team to thier allegiances. Now I will still be a Badger fan first and foremost, but I now have a huge warm spot for the Sioux and everything that goes with the program. Is this wrong? Can I be accepted as the newest Sioux Fan?

Yep, however, you are one of a few people that can chear for other teams around the league, I can not, nor can I even phantom cheering for Wisconsin, DU, Michigan or Minnesota on a regular basis. I cheer for UND and BSU only, and cheer for whoever is playing against the Goofers.

Welcome aboard.

There is always room for new fans. For those of us that were around during the sioux/wisco wars of the early 80's, wisco became our second team when the wisco crowd at the 82 championship gave the sioux a standing o when they won the game, shortly after the "Eades is a goon" chant, which I'm sure Eades loved.

Badger fans were fun to party with (at Frenchy's) during the 83 FF at the old ralph. That's more than I can say for this year's gopher crowd around GF prior to the MN/HC game. The "there's a few bad fans in every group" stuff that gets repeated over and over just doesn't apply to them. For the gophs, "there's a few good fans" seems more appropriate in my experience.

I'd guess you're happy after Saturday night. Nice win.

There is always room for new fans. For those of us that were around during the sioux/wisco wars of the early 80's, wisco became our second team when the wisco crowd at the 82 championship gave the sioux a standing o when they won the game, shortly after the "Eades is a goon" chant, which I'm sure Eades loved.

I'd guess your happy after Saturday night. Nice win.

go maine and BC!

as long as you keep your nose out of the "robbie earl is a cheap ass diver" arguments and you are willing to bash kessel for anything and everything.... :):D

welcome aboard

Its been done before :)

I am a HUGE (leterally and figurativelly) UMD fan (been one for probably 10 years now) but I will root for the Sioux....and they have accepted me :D

Its been done before :)

I am a HUGE (leterally and figurativelly) UMD fan (been one for probably 10 years now) but I will root for the Sioux....and they have accepted me :D

Same here, except I'm not huge and have been a UMD fan since birth. HOWEVER most people don't have any special hatred for the Bulldogs like they do for Wisconsin so it's a little different.

It did take a bit for some people to come around and actually believe I was a Sioux fan too, and not just a troll, but does it matter if someone else thinks it's wrong or won't accept you? You cheer for who you want to cheer for, you know in your mind who you're a fan of, and no one else can tell you you aren't.

I sound like an after school special. Ugh.

Am I wrong to cheer for anyone in the WCHA minus the Goophers and Pee-on-ers. I've never had a problem with Wisconsin but in the Frozen Four when we lost, I wanted the WCHA to continue winning National Championships. I will always root on the Sioux, but if its a WCHA team other than the above two teams I named, I'm rooting them on.

Nice that you are thinking of becoming a Sioux fan. A thought or two about shared loyalties, though, in case you haven't thought it through carefully.

Are you ready for this? Are you comfortable with the sight of a dead badger, eyes rolled back and blood-covered, sliding across the ice toward a UW goaltender who stands bent in shame before a flashing red light, with his head between his legs trying to get air? That test hasn't been given in a while, but you should be ready for it.

Is your family ready for this? Have you considered the strong likelihood that you will be so struck by the loyalty, knowledge, integrity, and overall good looks of Sioux fans that you begin to consider the Sioux as your number one team and UW second? If you are not ready for that, you might not want to risk it.

If you are, start making plans for St. Louis.

After being at the Frozen Four my only concearn is that you are nicer then some of the Badgr fans I meet. But Welcome and Go Sioux!

There are some Badger fans that are not very nice. As a matter of fact there are some real aholes...I would have been embarrassed if my fan base acted like some of them did...

Same here, except I'm not huge and have been a UMD fan since birth. HOWEVER most people don't have any special hatred for the Bulldogs like they do for Wisconsin so it's a little different.

It did take a bit for some people to come around and actually believe I was a Sioux fan too, and not just a troll, but does it matter if someone else thinks it's wrong or won't accept you? You cheer for who you want to cheer for, you know in your mind who you're a fan of, and no one else can tell you you aren't.

I sound like an after school special. Ugh.

runnin

Sadly I grew up in Minneapolis so I didnt know better....once I went to a UMD/MN game at the DECC I saw the light ;)

I would much rather see someone attending this fine University cheer for their school team when they are not playing a team you grew up liking, then a person who just doesnt cheer for their school team at all. So...welcome aboard. Give it a few more years, and that Wisconsin phase of your life will disappear :)

After being at the Frozen Four my only concearn is that you are nicer then some of the Badgr fans I meet. But Welcome and Go Sioux!

There are some Badger fans that are not very nice. As a matter of fact there are some real aholes...I would have been embarrassed if my fan base acted like some of them did...

I most definitely concur!!

Alright guys it sounds like what I have already thought, you guys are great fans and I feel privileged to join the Sioux Nation. I've been around for a little while now with minimal posting but I'm definitly looking forward to talking hockey with some good hockey people here. Just keep in mind that Wisconsin is still #1 in my heart and will always be but I've always kinda wanted to yell GO SIOUX! at the end of the national anthem....here's to my first game at the Ralph next season? (Probably depend on if they would happen to bring in LaPoint early)

Alright guys it sounds like what I have already thought, you guys are great fans and I feel privileged to join the Sioux Nation. I've been around for a little while now with minimal posting but I'm definitly looking forward to talking hockey with some good hockey people here. Just keep in mind that Wisconsin is still #1 in my heart and will always be but I've always kinda wanted to yell GO SIOUX! at the end of the national anthem....here's to my first game at the Ralph next season? (Probably depend on if they would happen to bring in LaPoint early)

Be prepared to be amazed. The Ralph is an awesome building. I was raised in WI and now go to school in North Dakota, so I kinda know what you are going through... However the Sioux will always be #1 in my heart, no contest. We can't wait to have LaPoint up here!

We all have faults. :)