SiouxSports.com Forum

Commission set to ease Title IX

jimdahl

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/spo...rts/5044395.htm

I haven't seen this discussed much in college hockey circles, but it seems like it could have a huge impact on the sport. There are a lot of schools with ACHA club teams that could easily be high-tier D-III or low-tier D-I teams if those schools could sponsor men's ice hockey as an NCAA sport.

Adding women's hockey simultaneously is cost-prohibitive for most schools, but an easing of Title IX could create an opportunity for a lot of schools with strong ACHA hockey programs to go NCAA. I've heard lots of arguments against the expansion of college hockey (particularly potential negative impacts on the smaller schools that are big time in hockey, like UND), but I would consider continued growth a good thing.

Goon...pallie...the constant slams at Dems are getting tired. Not all liberals are tree-hugging, Birchenstock-wearing extremists, just like not all conservatives are millioinaire members of the Klan. ;)

Dude there is a difference between a Democrat and a hand wringing left wing liberal. For example JBB is a left wing hand wringing extremist liberal. :0

QUOTE (shootdogger @ Jan 28 2003, 12:45 PM)

Goon...pallie...the constant slams at Dems are getting tired. Not all liberals are tree-hugging, Birchenstock-wearing extremists, just like not all conservatives are millioinaire members of the Klan.  

Dude there is a difference between a Democrat and a hand wringing left wing liberal. For example JBB is a left wing hand wringing extremist liberal.

Jeez, can't a Fighting Sioux loving Democrat get a break here! The last tree I hugged burned down near Glenwood Springs!

Anyway...back to the subject at hand. I don't know if this would turn ACHA hockey programs into sanctioned NC$$ prgrams, It would more than likely bring back a whole lotta College Wrestling programs. After all they are cheaper to run...and in a George Dubya economy, we gotta cut those budgets! :0

I'd *guess* that if Title IX is rolled back in some ways, most schools won't devote more money to already money-losing sports. More likely, like a good business, they'll push more resources to programs, such as football, basketball or maybe hockey, that generate the most revenue. At the very least, schools will face less pressure to bring new women's sports on line, as has been the case the past couple of decades. Some club college programs may move to D1, but I'd bet that it may be a few here and there, rather than some torrent of new hockey programs.

Anyway...back to the subject at hand.  I don't know if this would turn ACHA hockey programs into sanctioned NC$$ prgrams,  It would more than likely bring back a whole lotta College Wrestling programs.  After all they are cheaper to run...

I agree that the biggest impact would be on wrestling. However, when you look at the breathing room this could generate (a lot of schools could drop their ratio from the current 60 W - 40 M to ~45 W - 55 M), it really does open the opportunity to add quite a few spots for male players at large schools.

After wrestling, I think hockey could be high on the list at some schools. The fact that so many schools have club hockey teams that have the expensive uniforms, equipment, and already have a local ACHA travel schedule, some of which even have respectable attendance, makes me think they could go NCAA if they weren't being held back.

Making those programs profitable seems the biggest barrier to jumping NCAA. Of course, most schools have only a couple profitable sports that support the rest, but I suspect hockey would be discriminated against because it's perceived as expensive. Hockey facilities can be another big cost (though the ACHA teams clearly rent ice time somewhere already).

Like ScottM said, I didn't mean to imply that I would expect a torrent. But I do think this could open the gates for a very slow trickle of big name schools that would otherwise definitely never do it.

Hockey facilities can be another big cost (though the ACHA teams clearly rent ice time somewhere already).

I remember a few years ago in Ft. Collins, a large hockey arena was voted down. The rumor was that CSU would make the jump to D-1. I thought, and still think that is a longshot.

However, some new club college hockey league called "Hockey West" in the ACHA is on the verge of being formed. It would have ASU, U of Arizona, (maybe) CSU, Weber State, Utah, BYU(between missions) etc... about 8 teams.

Hockey West Conference

Granted, it's a big jump to the D-1 hockey NCAA for any athletic program, but I guess anything is possible.

And....looking outside of my window, about 5 miles southeast of Ft. Collins is a new sports venue for the Central Hockey League. It seats about 6000. CSU isn't that far away from that arena. Sure would be nice to see some college hockey outside my back door....

Jeez..... Jim! quit getting my hopes up! :0

I believe a small stream, and then the talk of how Penn St. should move up and the Big Ten Crapola starts. :0

IMHO think this is bad.Dubya is not listening to reason he must want the soccer (hockey)mom's vote in a couple of years.:0

I agree with Goon's philosphy. I don't believe all Religious Right Wing zealot's are bad. :0(Scotty and Rush lost twins?) ;)

Riverman, Still a proud Cadillac driving Democrat! :0;)