SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Hockey

Riverman

Does anyone know what UND lost in $$$ because it wasn't D-1 in all sports when it came to the Frozen Four

for the last two years??

Not that we should bank on being there every year however BC, Maine, and Wisc this year all shared in the $$$ made from the Frozen Four while UND was "frozen" out.

The $$$ sure would help pay for the women's hockey team that seems to be sucking away alot of $$. ;)

This is not a knock on the women's team but maybe it's either time to cut seat prices( to get more fans) for women's hockey games or the budget "axe" may have to fall. :lol:

Does anyone know what UND lost in $$$ because it wasn't D-1 in all sports when it came to the Frozen Four

for the last two years??

Not that we should bank on being there every year however BC, Maine, and Wisc this year all shared in the $$$ made from the Frozen Four while UND was "frozen" out.

The $$$ sure would help pay for the women's hockey team that seems to be sucking away alot of $$. :)

This is not a knock on the women's team but maybe it's either time to cut seat prices( to get more fans) for women's hockey games or the budget "axe" may have to fall. :D

I believe between $400,00 to $500,000 per year we are in the Frozen Four. I know this isn't the D1 thread but add a FB game against a D1 school for the $300,000 to $400,000 guarantee and we are leaving a lot of money on the table.

UND gets some expense $$ from the NCAA but we lose money to go because we aren't D1 in anything else.

With regards to womens hockey, is the group who pushed so hard to get womens hockey still involved and are they making $$ donations every year?

I believe between $400,00 to $500,000 per year we are in the Frozen Four. I know this isn't the D1 thread but add a FB game against a D1 school for the $300,000 to $400,000 guarantee and we are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Excellent points. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you're right about those figures, and if had we gone DI the same time that SDSU and NDSU did, and got the $300,000 guarantee football game with Minnesota for 2006 (NDSU was reluctant to take that game for 2006, I'm sure UofM would be just as if not more interested in bringing the Sioux to the Twin Cities) and made the Frozen Four in the last two years, then you can figure that by October 21st of this year UND will have missed out on over $1,000,000. Then figure in the 25% increase in home football attendance that NDSU & SDSU have seen since going DI-AA that number is even greater. :)

Excellent points. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you're right about those figures, and if had we gone DI the same time that SDSU and NDSU did, and got the $300,000 guarantee football game with Minnesota for 2006 (NDSU was reluctant to take that game for 2006, I'm sure UofM would be just as if not more interested in bringing the Sioux to the Twin Cities) and made the Frozen Four in the last two years, then you can figure that by October 21st of this year UND will have missed out on over $1,000,000. Then figure in the 25% increase in home football attendance that NDSU & SDSU have seen since going DI-AA that number is even greater. :D

This can't be true - remember star2city says that UND has saved 10 million by not going DI. :)

This can't be true - remember star2city says that UND has saved 10 million by not going DI. :)

So make that 9 million. :D

And when we get in the Big Sky, that will save all of us (even your school, Bison_Dan) $1 million / school a year on DI expenses and revenues. ;)

So make that 9 million. :D

And when we get in the Big Sky, that will save all of us (even your school, Bison_Dan) $1 million / school a year on DI expenses and revenues. ;)

Using your logic why don't you wait another 3 years and save another 10 million? Just remember if NDSU hadn't gone DI - UND wouldn't even be thinking about it. Some lead - some follow.

Using your logic why don't you wait another 3 years and save another 10 million? Just remember if NDSU hadn't gone DI - UND wouldn't even be thinking about it. Some lead - some follow.

Honestly it won't matter who went first five, ten fifteen years from now. I have to ask if we beat your ass on a level playing field five years from now will you still be clinging to the whole we went first thing? Exactly. Get over it. Who went first is immaterial, it's what you do after you move up that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent points. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you're right about those figures, and if had we gone DI the same time that SDSU and NDSU did, and got the $300,000 guarantee football game with Minnesota for 2006 (NDSU was reluctant to take that game for 2006, I'm sure UofM would be just as if not more interested in bringing the Sioux to the Twin Cities) and made the Frozen Four in the last two years, then you can figure that by October 21st of this year UND will have missed out on over $1,000,000. Then figure in the 25% increase in home football attendance that NDSU & SDSU have seen since going DI-AA that number is even greater. :)

Ok - Say the Sioux stay in D-II, doesn't that mean that you are locking yourself out from revenues that Maine and UNH and other D-1 schools with hockey enjoy. Is anything better for Sioux fans to stay where you are at (D-11, NCC)? Or is the NCC time clicking loudly with UNI, UNC, and two Ag schools gone?

I think the cost of remaining in D-11 is very high.

Excellent points. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you're right about those figures, and if had we gone DI the same time that SDSU and NDSU did, and got the $300,000 guarantee football game with Minnesota for 2006 (NDSU was reluctant to take that game for 2006, I'm sure UofM would be just as if not more interested in bringing the Sioux to the Twin Cities) and made the Frozen Four in the last two years, then you can figure that by October 21st of this year UND will have missed out on over $1,000,000. Then figure in the 25% increase in home football attendance that NDSU & SDSU have seen since going DI-AA that number is even greater. ;)

I think UND could help to sway the Big Sky to split the division. You can't tell me Montana (Big Sky) wouldn't like to be linked to Minnesota and Wisconsin (Big Ten) by playing say UND sometime in the future if UND played Minnesota at their new stadium. :) Kevin Bacon's "degree of seperation" I think applies here. :sad:

UNI is a prime example. No one from UND is talking about UND playing football there but Craig had a nice link to the Panther board. Hmmm who do we know at UNI hmmmm... ???