SiouxSports.com Forum

Lacrosse at a "DI" UND?

The Sicatoka

For men's lax, UND would almost have to play as an independent. Lax teams often schedule two games over the long weekend, so it would nearly be impossible to schedule except away games. Another regional school like Omaha, UNI, UWGB, or even NDSU would have to start a team at the same time. We aren't getting a Big East (Denver) bid, or Big Ten bid, so we'll just have to watch it grow towards us. Air Force was forced to become an independent this year, and next year will be in the Southern (I think) for lax. Detroit plays in the Metro Atlantic, as there no Midwest or western league outside the Big Ten. Cleveland St is adding it, but the Horizon needs four more teams to sponsor it.

Women's lax is easier to find a spot, but still there's almost no teams around us. Northwestern and Colorado U are the closest teams east and south. Maybe the Mountain Pacific would take us, but it would mean an awful lot of traveling for California teams that would prefer the East Coast for tougher scheduling

The big thing with adding lacrosse is the cost, and all the western schools are in the $1 million a year and more to play D1 Lacrosse. It would help if UND had a lacrosse club team (I couldn't find UND on the MCLA website).

If UND added lacrosse, a western conference could be created and other schools would need to buy in also that have club level teams. Denver and Air Force most likely would like less travel and get Colorado College to move up to Division 1. Then you have 7 schools in the Big Sky and 4 NCHC schools have club lacrosse teams and toss in NDSU, SDSU, and USD's club teams and that would be a nice size conference. Frist it's going to take money and getting other area schools to add lacrosse as a varsity sport on both men's and women's for it to work.

Colorado State adding women's lacrosse and joining the 5 Pac-12 teams would give the Pac-12 an auto-bid.

What are the average budgets for men's and women's lacrosse? I'm guessing if a regional conference could be created the costs wouldn't be too bad, I'd guess some of the western programs have major travel expenses.

I wouldn't mind seeing lacrosse at NDSU, we have a great club team but like everything the costs would be a concern. 

What are the average budgets for men's and women's lacrosse? I'm guessing if a regional conference could be created the costs wouldn't be too bad, I'd guess some of the western programs have major travel expenses.

I wouldn't mind seeing lacrosse at NDSU, we have a great club team but like everything the costs would be a concern. 

I'll have to find it again, the B1G schools, Notre Dame, and Denver are all over $1 million and some are over $2 million.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-23/notre-dame-brings-lacrosse-s-lowest-revenue-into-ncaa-semifinals

http://diycollegerankings.com/much-colleges-spend-d1-mens-lacrosse-programs-2/7471/

Baseball and softball make more sense than baseball and women's hockey.  Baseball and softball are popular with students from the playing side, but our weather and the seasons make it difficult to be successful on the field.  If they change the playing season, which is being discussed for baseball, it may make sense to keep them.  Otherwise it may end up making sense to replace them.  Lacrosse does seem to be an up and coming sport and should be looked at if changes are going to be made.

we should hold our tongues on women's softball, ndsu is a fringe top 25 team and about to make ESPN highlights on selection Sunday.

The big thing with adding lacrosse is the cost, and all the western schools are in the $1 million a year and more to play D1 Lacrosse. It would help if UND had a lacrosse club team (I couldn't find UND on the MCLA website).

If UND added lacrosse, a western conference could be created and other schools would need to buy in also that have club level teams. Denver and Air Force most likely would like less travel and get Colorado College to move up to Division 1. Then you have 7 schools in the Big Sky and 4 NCHC schools have club lacrosse teams and toss in NDSU, SDSU, and USD's club teams and that would be a nice size conference. Frist it's going to take money and getting other area schools to add lacrosse as a varsity sport on both men's and women's for it to work.

Colorado State adding women's lacrosse and joining the 5 Pac-12 teams would give the Pac-12 an auto-bid.

UND has a club team in the Great Lakes Lacrosse League - West Division. They play SDSU and mostly MIAC club teams. NDSU plays at a higher level club level.

Denver is a power lax program and won't leave the Big East for anything except the Big 12 or ACC. Air Force can afford to send its lax team anywhere. CC can't move to DI in lax anymore because DIII forbids it. The best hope for men's lax in this region is if Green Bay and Milwaukee start lax and the Horizon needs more teams to sponsor it.

The MPSF has a hodge lodge of Womens lax programs. If Ariz St starts it, the PAC12 may break off, and maybe the MWC takes it over. Davis, Denver and some WCC schools have Womens lax too.

Some ASun and Southern Conference private schools started lax because they can get northern kids with only tiny scholarship ride to go there and get them to pay mostly full tuition. With only 12.6 schollies, on paper it may seem expensive, but the bursars office has a different opinion on that. A lax teams needs at least 40 kids.

we should hold our tongues on women's softball, ndsu is a fringe top 25 team and about to make ESPN highlights on selection Sunday.

The weather in this region still makes it more difficult than in most other parts of the country.  I didn't say that they couldn't be successful.  Minnesota traditionally has a strong baseball program.  The weather is better in the Twin Cities than Fargo or Grand Forks, but it is still a bigger challenge than most baseball power programs have to face.  The weather for both baseball and softball in eastern North Dakota is very unreliable and tends to be both cool and wet during much of the season.

Denver took Maryland behind the woodshed for the National Title 10-5

Watch the B1G call Denver to join the conference for lacrosse.

Congrats to Denver, as its the first school west of the Appalachians to win in men's lacrosse.

Think Denver would take a PAC12 affiliate offers for lacrosse and hockey if the PAC12 ever gets this sports off the ground.

Congrats to Denver, as its the first school west of the Appalachians to win in men's lacrosse.

Think Denver would take a PAC12 affiliate offers for lacrosse and hockey if the PAC12 ever gets this sports off the ground.

Don't see Denver joining the Pac-12 for hockey, maybe lacrosse but not hockey.

Don't see Denver joining the Pac-12 for hockey, maybe lacrosse but not hockey.

Denver wants California rich kids for just recruiting academics. Denver would jump in a minute for both sports. The Big West and WCC are Denver's preferred conferences, not the Slummit, for a reason. The PAC12 needs Denver's quality programs in those sports for credibility and history. UND would probably join in hockey too, as it would be a big boost to UNDs general prestige. Wouldn't happen for ten years probably. As other programs like USC, Stanford, and Oregon would need to get off the ground in both sports.

Denver wants California rich kids for just recruiting academics. Denver would jump in a minute for both sports. The Big West and WCC are Denver's preferred conferences, not the Slummit, for a reason. The PAC12 needs Denver's quality programs in those sports for credibility and history. UND would probably join in hockey too, as it would be a big boost to UNDs general prestige. Wouldn't happen for ten years probably. As other programs like USC, Stanford, and Oregon would need to get off the ground in both sports.

I see UND getting asked to join the Big 10 before being asked to join the PAC 12. Big 10 needs attendance and a big name in hockey since teams like Wisconsin and the Michigans aren't lighting it up lately. Ohio St and Penn St are a joke in that conference.

I see UND getting asked to join the Big 10 before being asked to join the PAC 12. Big 10 needs attendance and a big name in hockey since teams like Wisconsin and the Michigans aren't lighting it up lately. Ohio St and Penn St are a joke in that conference.

This is all theoretical since only Ariz St has a hockey team, which I now suspect will initially join the Big 10 along with either Nebraska or Iowa. If Iowa and Nebraska join at the same time, Ariz St probably will join the NCHC. Wisconsin and Ohio St are currently jokes, but Penn St sells out and has put a competitive team on the ice. UND is not an AAU university and does not have very intense research, and more importantly, won't earn many much more Big10 Network subscriptions, like Ariz St could. The PAC12 isn't so exclusive, though it bars BYU,as Utah, Ariz St, Wash St, and Ore St all don't meet Big Ten research standards.

UND and Denver would jump at a chance to be in affiliates in the PAC12, as it would result in more media attention, PAC12 Network money, and elevate UND's perceived status. Perhaps Omaha would get a bid too. Time will tell.

This is all theoretical since only Ariz St has a hockey team, which I now suspect will initially join the Big 10 along with either Nebraska or Iowa. If Iowa and Nebraska join at the same time, Ariz St probably will join the NCHC. Wisconsin and Ohio St are currently jokes, but Penn St sells out and has put a competitive team on the ice. UND is not an AAU university and does not have very intense research, and more importantly, won't earn many much more Big10 Network subscriptions, like Ariz St could. The PAC12 isn't so exclusive, though it bars BYU,as Utah, Ariz St, Wash St, and Ore St all don't meet Big Ten research standards.

UND and Denver would jump at a chance to be in affiliates in the PAC12, as it would result in more media attention, PAC12 Network money, and elevate UND's perceived status. Perhaps Omaha would get a bid too. Time will tell.

Does anyone around here get the PAC 12 network? I get the Big 10 and SEC networks through Directv but not the PAC 12 network.

Does anyone around here get the PAC 12 network? I get the Big 10 and SEC networks through Directv but not the PAC 12 network.

The SEC and Longhorn Networks are half owned by ESPN / Disney, while the Big 10 Network is half owned by Fox. ESPN and Fox have vested interests in getting those networks on as many cable and satellite systems as possible. The PAC12 Network is 100% owned by the PAC12. There is talk the PAC12 might sell half of it to gain a windfall of profit and to increase its distribution, as both Fox and ESPN will force cable systems to carry it. The PAC12 doesn't have the leverage outside the west coast to force the cable companies to carry it, while Fox and ESPN do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ariz St announced that it will add women's lax and triathalon as offsetting women's sports for Title IX to compensate for adding men's hockey.  W lax will now have six teams to sponsor a PAC12 women's league, which the PAC12 will do.

But that leaves only five teams in the MPSF, UC Davis, St Mary's, Denver, Fresno St and San Diego St in that women's lax league.

NDSU can take a big step to solving it's Title IX problem by starting W Lax, as there is now a league that may tare them.

• 6 months later...

Air Force is currently ranked 9th in the country.  A big part of their success recently has been their Indoor Practice Facility, although 50+ degree temps in the winter certainly helps outdoor practice too.

They play on field turf, be it at Falcon Stadium or in the HAC.  UND could do the same, just need a whole lot of funding.