SiouxSports.com Forum

Good DI article

dakotadan

• 3 weeks later...
Carlton said Presbyterian is well-suited for the move in terms of facilities. Minor improvements are necessary in baseball and softball. Presbyterian has played four seasons of football at 6,500-seat Bailey Memorial Stadium. Furman Pinson Arena seats 2,000 for basketball and volleyball.

Those seem small for a DI program. Of course the school only has about 1,200 students.

Not that I'm counting :love: , but this makes seven recent DII move-ups with conference invite in hand:

Central Arkansas

Kennesaw St

North Florida

Florida Gulf Coast

S Carolina- Upstate

UC-Davis

Presbyterian

I thought that it was impossible for a school to have a conference invite when the move up to DI.

The interesting thing about Florida Gulf Coast is that they attempted to join the D2 Sunshine State Conference (headed by former NCC commissioner Mike Marcil) but were rejected. They then decided to move to DI when the Atlantic Sun was the only conference that would take them. Quite the opposite of the situation around here. :love:

This article appeared in the Indianapolis Star today and it shows how many Division I schools fund their athletic programs.

A few of the more interesting points:

Without such outside funding, fewer than 10 percent of athletic departments would have been able to support themselves with ticket sales, television contracts and other revenue-generating sports sources. Most would have lost more than $5 million.
General university support -- which could include maintenance, tuition waivers, security and utilities -- and direct government payments to athletics totaled $541 million for the 164 schools that responded to the survey. Student fees, usually mandatory but often giving students free entrance to games, totaled $507 million.

With those two items removed from the forms' bottom line, the number of schools that reported breaking even on athletics dropped from 115 to 15. The average deficit is $5.7 million.

The average collected in student fees for sports by schools in the six BCS conferences -- those that constituted the original football Bowl Championship Series, such as the Big Ten -- was $1.4 million. The average outside that group was $3.6 million.
At Miami of Ohio, the average student pays $635 a year to the athletic department in mandatory fees. At James Madison, it's $1,186, although the school says the general student body uses athletic department facilities.

Not that I'm counting :love: , but this makes seven recent DII move-ups with conference invite in hand:

Central Arkansas

Kennesaw St

North Florida

Florida Gulf Coast

S Carolina- Upstate

UC-Davis

Presbyterian

Hmmmmm.... what do all of those schools besides UC Davis have in common that would make them different than the SU's and UND. Lets think hard about it. I know that there's a common link there somewhere. A reason that would make it an almost idiotic comparison between them and and schools up here. Wait, thats it! Those are all schools near several almost desparate D-I conferences in the south. But we're in the NORTH. So a comparison between NDSU, SDSU, UND and them means absolutely nothing! Thanks for helping me out on that one guys. I was a little confused. I mean, I've went all over in South and North Dakota, as well as minnesota and the upper midwest, but I had never run into North Florida or Central Arkansas before. But now I get why. :lol:

Hmmmmm.... what do all of those schools besides UC Davis have in common that would make them different than the SU's and UND. Lets think hard about it. I know that there's a common link there somewhere. A reason that would make it an almost idiotic comparison between them and and schools up here. Wait, thats it! Those are all schools near several almost desparate D-I conferences in the south. But we're in the NORTH. So a comparison between NDSU, SDSU, UND and them means absolutely nothing! Thanks for helping me out on that one guys. I was a little confused. I mean, I've went all over in South and North Dakota, as well as minnesota and the upper midwest, but I had never run into North Florida or Central Arkansas before. But now I get why. :lol:

Another reason Presbyterian was accepted into the Southern conf was they wanted 6 teams for an auto bid for the playoffs. It's apples and oranges, but believe what you want.

What really must hurt an SDSU fan like aff is that the two conferences that SDSU is most interested, the MidCon and the Big Sky, both accepted new members in the last couple of years when SDSU was available. To be passed over in favor of Centenary (the smallest DI school) and Northern Colorado has to be a humbling experience.

Many have said that DII is getting watered down by the move up of many NAIA or D3 schools, I think this list of schools that have made the move to DI shows that the same thing is happening there, these school for the most part have no place in DI and will never compete for any real titles.

Many have said that DII is getting watered down by the move up of many NAIA or D3 schools, I think this list of schools that have made the move to DI shows that the same thing is happening there, these school for the most part have no place in DI and will never compete for any real titles.

IMO the difference is the NAIA schools are increasing the number of DII schools that compete with less than the maximum number of scholarships in football. The schools moving from DII to DI are apiring towards the maximum scholarship level in I-AA football. These new DI schools are not asking the NCAA to lower the scholarship numbers, to level the playing field.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mid-Con may soon be agressively looking for new members, as Chicago State has announced that they will leave the conference this summer.

Chicago State to leave the Mid-Continent Conference

The Mid-Con will now be at 8 members. Will this give a boost to SDSU & NDSU chances of getting in?

Kolpack thinks so. [url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=124200

The Mid-Con may soon be agressively looking for new members, as Chicago State has announced that they will leave the conference this summer.

Chicago State to leave the Mid-Continent Conference

The Mid-Con will now be at 8 members. Will this give a boost to SDSU & NDSU chances of getting in?

With the Mid-Con now in a situation where it must add at least one team quickly, possibly two, the Big Sky will need to act this summer if it wants a 12-team league. Other than Southern Utah, the Big Sky's only options are NDSU, SDSU, and UND. Adding Southern Utah is the Sky's only other option, which would likely destabilize the Big Sky by aggravating Montana just enough to push them to IA. But if the BSC did swipe SUU from the Mid-Con to placate NAU, Sac, and PSU travel concerns, the Mid-Con would then need three teams. The next two months will determine the conference lineup for the forseeable future for UND, NDSU, SDSU, and other NCC teams.

The biggest complaint about SUU in past Big Sky talks has been academics, with it being closer to a community college than a research university.

Though it is located within the Big Sky's footprint, it is not easy to get (not as bad as Flagstaff though).

Also, SUU doesn't fully fund its football team.

The vocal opponents of SUU have been Weber State, who apparently don't want anything to do with the school, and North Arizona (for no great reason).